Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Warning: Latest Norton Auntie Virus update breaks InCD

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Warning: Latest Norton Auntie Virus update breaks InCD

Postby Howard Kaikow on Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:47 am

My sister ran into a problem installing the most recent update to Norton Auntie Virus 2003. Same problem might occur with other NAV versions, I do not know for sure.

The most recent NAV update includes an update to the Symantec Common Client ("SCC").

Do NOT install that update.
Here's what I experienced.

On a system that has both NAV 2003 and InCD 4.0.5.6, I ran Live Update and installed the update to SCC.

When I rebooted, I got an error mesage from InCD that stated something like:

"Cannot connect to file system.
InCD service not running."

I first tried uninstalling, then re-installing InCD.
Still had the problem.

My gut feeling, and I do have a big gut, was that I should try uninstalling NAV.

Sure enough, after uninstalling NAV, the InCD error went away.
However, one cannot run a system without AV software, so I re-installed NAV 2003. Doing so does not include the latest NAV updates.

After re-installing NAV, InCD still worked.

So I then ran Live Update, but chose to install only the program updates for NAV and the virus definition updates. I explicitly chose to NOT install the SCC update.

Voila, InCD still worked.

Conclusion: There is some conflict between the update to the Symantec Common Client and InCD at startup.

My sister's problem had nothing to do with InCD, so the problem appears to lie in SCC.
Howard Kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:05 am

I received the same notice recently as posted here.

Notice that in my observation the phenomena was not linked to NAV. It occured with the installation of a DSL associated Ethernet PCI card. It is also manifested when I boot with the external DSL modem "on". If I switch the DSL modem "off" and reboot, InCD loads normally.

When I initially received that notice, I was running NAV 2002 with most recent update. However, I am now running McAfee VirusScan and NAV is not installed. Now with McAfee I still receive the message: "Cannot connect to file system. InCD service not running." when the DSL modem is "on" and the Ethernet PCI card is either "installed" or "enabled".

Hmmmm................. There may be more to this than meets the eye.
Slim
Number of burners bought in 2003: 3
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby Howard Kaikow on Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:08 pm

CowboySlim wrote:I received the same notice recently as posted here.

Notice that in my observation the phenomena was not linked to NAV. It occured with the installation of a DSL associated Ethernet PCI card. It is also manifested when I boot with the external DSL modem "on". If I switch the DSL modem "off" and reboot, InCD loads normally.

When I initially received that notice, I was running NAV 2002 with most recent update. However, I am now running McAfee VirusScan and NAV is not installed. Now with McAfee I still receive the message: "Cannot connect to file system. InCD service not running." when the DSL modem is "on" and the Ethernet PCI card is either "installed" or "enabled".

Hmmmm................. There may be more to this than meets the eye.

I did not find the problem using NAV 2002 because NAV 2002 does not use the Symantec Common Client.

In my case, the problem was clearly caused by installing the Symantec Common Client.

Whatever, th cause, InCD needs to be changed so that it avoids conflict with auntie virus programs at start up.
Howard Kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:41 pm

Whatever, th cause, InCD needs to be changed so that it avoids conflict with auntie virus programs at start up.

As I infer from the original post, the NAV inclusion of SCC and its release was subsequent to the distribution of an otherwise operational InCD. As such, I'm not sure why it is incumbent upon Ahead to modify InCD in order to eliminate the conflict as opposed to Norton making a mitigating change in their product.
Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby Howard Kaikow on Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:22 pm

CowboySlim wrote:

As I infer from the original post, the NAV inclusion of SCC and its release was subsequent to the distribution of an otherwise operational InCD. As such, I'm not sure why it is incumbent upon Ahead to modify InCD in order to eliminate the conflict as opposed to Norton making a mitigating change in their product.

The reality of programming is that one needs to consider the environment in which a program runs.

NAV is quite widely used, so apps have to attempt to minimize the impact.
Symantec is usually responsive, but they sometimes drag their feet for many months.
Howard Kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:47 pm

The reality of programming is that one needs to consider the environment in which a program runs.

Evidently then, Ahead should have done something prior to the NAV change with perfect anticipation and insight. That they didn't is possibly the result of their crystal ball being not as good as my tea leaves.
Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby Howard Kaikow on Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:09 pm

CowboySlim wrote:

Evidently then, Ahead should have done something prior to the NAV change with perfect anticipation and insight. That they didn't is possibly the result of their crystal ball being not as good as my tea leaves.

When writing software, one must minimize the possibility of conflicts with other software. All one needs to know is te MSFT specs. Nothing one can do about NAV, or other software, violating such specs.

Of course it depends on whether the tea leaves are in a bag or not.
Howard Kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby masterburn on Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:35 pm

I had no problems with the SCC update. The only difference I can see is that my NAV was part of the suite.
masterburn
Buffer Underrun

Postby Pilgrim on Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:42 am

Strange.... I updated both XP PC's running Norton SystemWorks 2003 Pro with this latest update and not even a hiccup was to be observed after the installation and reboot. Business as usual here. Image
Pilgrim
CD-RW Player

Postby Howard Kaikow on Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:33 pm

Pilgrim wrote:Strange.... I updated both XP PC's running Norton SystemWorks 2003 Pro with this latest update and not even a hiccup was to be observed after the installation and reboot. Business as usual here. Image

I'm using Win 2000 SP4 and the standalone NAV 2003.

I posted this problem to Symatec tech support and got their typical useless response. If they eventually come up with something useful, I'll let ya know.
Howard Kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby Howard Kaikow on Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:22 am

Symantec seems to have fixed the problem.
I just ran Live Update and rebooted, no error message.

The latest update adds an update to Sym Event and updates the Common Client to 1.0.8, instead of 1.0.9.
Howard Kaikow
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)