Ridata 80m
IPC 80 m.48x
Nipponic 80 m. 12x.
Teltron 80 m. 48x
Imation 80 m. 48x
IPC 99 m. 24x (870Mb) 6
Verbatim 80m 48x
SmartBUY 16X

i can't get TAIYO or KODAK cd's here in Argentina.
so those are my choices.
what do you say?
fernsx
Buffer Underrun

Postby Action Jackson on Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:31 am

What do you want to burn? Music? Something to archive?

I've never heard of most of those manufacturers.

But I "guess" [and it's only a guess] that Verbatim and Smart Buy would be okay out of that group.

I've only used the Smart Buy 16x out of that group.

I wish I could help you more.
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:34 am

I think Ridata is Ritek, which in recent years has made pretty good quality discs.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:58 am

I *know* the RiData is Ritek, and I would highly recommend it. the only other one I would recommend is possibly the verbatim, and that is only if it is verbatim datalife *PLUS*, and only if you don't have a LiteON or rebadged LiteON burner.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

thanks

Postby fernsx on Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:12 am

thanks for your help guys!

:lol:

so i'm gonna get those smart buy.
the first time i saw them i got doubts cause, they come in different collors.

but then i realized they are manufatured by prodisc, which i've been told that is a good one.
i'm gonna burn both audio and data.

i tried verbatim which were ok. But TDK's in this burner (asus 5224a) are the worst!! and all those CMC (imation)
the verbatim says it's 48X but nero showed 52X? anyway i just burned them at 40X

some of those cd's are the most common here in argentina.
Teltron and IPC are manufactured by Plasmon.
fernsx
Buffer Underrun

Postby wicked1 on Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:13 am

dolphinius_rex wrote: and that is only if it is verbatim datalife *PLUS*, and only if you don't have a LiteON or rebadged LiteON burner.

Why do you say that?Do the MCC disks have alot of errors on them?I have never ran Kprobe on but one and it looked fine and I think that one was out of my Liteon 52246S of course it may have been from my Samsung I am not sure.I have burned many audio cds with verbatim though with the liteon and they seem to work fine.Now I am going to have to burn a disk and scan it :)
Pioneer dvr-108,NEC 3540,BenQ 1640,LiteOn 1693S
Intel pentium D 930 oc to 4.2 ghz
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum
hardware mpeg2 encoder card

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good
wicked1
CD-RW Player

about cmc

Postby fernsx on Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:19 am

i can't test c1 errors with my asus 5224a.
but i've burned audio cd's on these tdks. And the stereos take more time to recognize them. And other stereos, seems to loose the disk while it's playing.
fernsx
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:59 am

Personally I'm not a big fan of Prodisc, since they aren't really very good quality. Don't get me wrong though, they usually aren't BAD quality either... just not that great.

As for MCC discs and LiteON drives, take a look at my review of the Verbatim Datalife Plus 48x CD-Rs on my webpage (www.thedolphinreview.com). I have had nothing but trouble with MCC CD-Rs and LiteON drives! although MCC CD-RWs are great! :D

it's possible the LiteON 52246S is better at buring MCC discs then the LiteON 48125W is though.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:31 am

As for MCC discs and LiteON drives, take a look at my review of the Verbatim Datalife Plus 48x CD-Rs on my webpage (www.thedolphinreview.com). I have had nothing but trouble with MCC CD-Rs and LiteON drives! although MCC CD-RWs are great! :D

it's possible the LiteON 52246S is better at buring MCC discs then the LiteON 48125W is though.

No it's just the luck of MCC disc's matching the very poor implementated writing strategy in the Lite On drives.

With newer Lite On's and different batches I get random results for MCC and TY. The same batches that are problematic with the Lite On burners I used can be burned very good with LG and Plextor and Yamaha burners. So it really is Lite On which is the problem.(The TY disc's that do work fine on the Lite On burners are however even better burned as on the other drives !)
while Plextor
RJW
CD-RW Player

did i say MCC or CMC

Postby fernsx on Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:47 am

i think i was talking about CMC manufaturd disk like: TDK, IMATION or MELODY.

Those Verbatim are great! much better!

Beware! If you buy a verbatim cdr check it's with the RED word "Verbatim"
And specially it does say: VALU LIFE, yes i said right it says valulife and these are cheap copy.
I cheked them and they are manufactured by Indian.
fernsx
Buffer Underrun

Re: did i say MCC or CMC

Postby Action Jackson on Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:31 am

fernsx wrote:Beware! If you buy a verbatim cdr check it's with the RED word "Verbatim"
And specially it does say: VALU LIFE, yes i said right it says valulife and these are cheap copy.

Do you mean that these are fake? Like some Microsoft products that have been on the market [OS's, mice, keyboards].
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Re: did i say MCC or CMC

Postby MediumRare on Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:18 pm

Action Jackson wrote:
fernsx wrote:Beware! If you buy a verbatim cdr check it's with the RED word "Verbatim"

Do you mean that these are fake? Like some Microsoft products that have been on the market [OS's, mice, keyboards].

I don't think they're fakes- just the normal "cheap" line from Verbatim. These are "DataLife" without the Plus in Europe and Valu Life in N.A. The ones I've had were CMC :evil: but apparently there are also some made my Moser Baer India. The "good" Verbatims all have "Azo" in some form on the label.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby aviationwiz on Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:45 pm

They aren't fake, they are just low quality disks.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Moser Baer India Ltd. pretty good

Postby fernsx on Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:36 am

you are right guys!
these aren't that bad and these cd's shows this:

ATIP: 97m 17s 06f
Disc Manufacturer: Moser Baer India Ltd.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

at least they were better that CMC's

i still don't know why nero shows all the cd's at 52x as max burning speed...
(it's nero 5.5.10.54)

i also checked one called "MELODY" and they are CMC craps
fernsx
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:52 am

Melody is not quite just "CMC Crap" they have their own set of standards for their media, and use multiple CD-R manufacturers for their brand.... unfortunatly, Melody appears to always choose from the bottom of the barrel, and I've never EVER seen any good results from Melody CD-Rs... although for some strange reason I haven't totally given up yet....

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:34 am

To rate MBIL higher as CMC might be a bit to far.

The A grade CMC disc's seem to perform better MBIL A grade disc's meassured on a CDA-3000.
It is true that most CMC branded media will perform worse after burning.
However in the long run CMC pthalocyanine disc's seem to survive longer as MBIL.
In the retest PC-ACTIVE did after 2 years. MBIL disc's were unreadable while CMC showed no increase. I have seen this befor in some other tests
which were based on accelerate ageing. However MBIL EMTEC Ceram Guard disc's scored quite okay in that one and so did they in my little sunlight test. However both MBIL (EMTEC)normal and CMC(EMTEC) manufactured disc's scored very bad in this test.

This indicates the following factory doesn't say all some brands use special coatings and extra layers so that there media overall performs better.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives