Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Some books from famous writers....

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Some books from famous writers....

Postby pranav81 on Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:00 am

Dear all,
I didnt knew where to post this thread so I am posting it in the Beer Garden.
Does anyone know where I can download books by falous authors like Michael Crichton,Sidney Sheldon,etc.
My sister wants them in e-format so that she can read some on her laptop and print them when she wants.I have heard that there are books available in the Adobe PDF format.Does somebody know anything I am asking about?
Waiting for some replies,

::Pranav::
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby treemana on Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:29 am

I have purchased e-books from Amazon in Microsoft Reader format. I normally read them on my Pocket PC (iPAQ). I like this because I always have the book I am reading with me. There is also a version of Microsoft Reader for PCs. However, Microsoft does NOT allow you to print an e-book (or even part of one).

I believe Amazon also sells e-books in Adobe reader format, but I have never purchased one in this format.
treemana
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:20 am

treemana wrote:However, Microsoft does NOT allow you to print an e-book (or even part of one).

how extremely stupid!
every book has a copyright notice inside (before the content of the book) and also a note prohibiting duplication/photocopying without the publisher's permission. has that stopped anyone before?
and yet they make money just fine from selling (paper) books.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Kennyshin on Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:24 pm

I want books that are integrated. All in one package: on DVD, on hardcovered paper, on tape, on webserver. For US$50?

I thought of buying a copy of Michael Crichton's Prey CD-ROM audiobook but the clerk said its price was about 75,000 Korean Won (about US$63.)
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:34 am

Hi guys,
I remember downloading Microsoft Reader for Windows a few months before.But the problem was that whenever I tried signing in it,it would ask for my passport username and password but when I would press the Sign In button,it would display "Cannot find server" message.I would have tried about tens of hundreds of times without any success.That was when Michael Crichton's "Timeline" was made available by Microsoft,free,for a few days.
See ya later,

pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby treemana on Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:49 am

pranav81 wrote:Michael Crichton's "Timeline" was made available by Microsoft,free,for a few days.

I didn't know they were offering it for free, I would have grabbed that one.

Yeah, the Activation is a hassle. Just about everytime I purchase a new MS Reader e-book from Amazon, Amazon tells me that I have to activate my reader program first. (Even thought I've already done that, several times.) It's not too much of a problem to reactivate, but it gets old after a while.
treemana
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:26 am

Yep,it was free.There was a press announcement from Microsoft in presence of Michael Crichton himself.I just dont remember the date.It was declared and the end date was given in the same document.
See ya guys later,

pranav81
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden