Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Can't install InCD 3.52.40 with Nero 6.0.0.19?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Can't install InCD 3.52.40 with Nero 6.0.0.19?

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:18 pm

I'm trying to install InCD 3.52.40 and its complaining that I don't have a licensed version of Nero installed.. which is BS because Nero 6.0.0.19 is installed. Anyone else run into this?
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:52 pm

nevermind.. doesn't support this drive anyway.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby CDRecorder on Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:49 am

Maybe it would work if you installed InCD 3.x from your Nero 5.5 install CD and then applied the update to 3.52.40.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Re: Can't install InCD 3.52.40 with Nero 6.0.0.19?

Postby Howard Kaikow on Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:13 am

Ian wrote:I'm trying to install InCD 3.52.40 and its complaining that I don't have a licensed version of Nero installed.. which is BS because Nero 6.0.0.19 is installed. Anyone else run into this?

Pf you first install Nero 5.*, then you can install InCD 3.5.24.0.

Then Uninstall Nero 5.* and install Nero 6.0.0.19.
However, now that Word bug is fixed, I've abandoned 3.5.24.0 and installed InCD 4.0.7.2.

Have not use it enough yet to see whether it "works".

I reported some problems in another thread.
Howard Kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:46 am

Howard Kaikow wrote:Pf you first install Nero 5.*, then you can install InCD 3.5.24.0.

that's a pretty f**ked up way of doing things.
if indeed InCD 3.x doesn't recognize a Nero 6 key and thus won't install - that's extremely stupid, very bad job on Ahead's part.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Howard Kaikow on Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:04 am

dodecahedron wrote:
Howard Kaikow wrote:Pf you first install Nero 5.*, then you can install InCD 3.5.24.0.

that's a pretty f**ked up way of doing things.
if indeed InCD 3.x doesn't recognize a Nero 6 key and thus won't install - that's extremely stupid, very bad job on Ahead's part.

I, and others, pointed this out a while ago.

InCD 3.* does not recognize Nero 6 license codes, so the problem was caused by changing the Nero license code algorithm and not patching InCD 3 to take this into account.
Howard Kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:21 pm

OK, how about this workaround:
with Nero 6 installed, manually edit the registry, put in the Nero 5 license key (presumably, Nero 6 won't work at this point).
install InCD 3.xx.
edit the registry again and put in the Nero 6 license key.

does this work?
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby CCampbell on Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:33 pm

InCD 3 was discontinued long before the release of Nero 6. And as mentioned previously, InCD 3 was licensed from BHA. This was and is not source code developed by Ahead. We can not and never could make changes to this software directly. Only via request to BHA.

Seeing as the contract with BHA was over before Nero 6 was released, there is no way for Ahead to modify InCD 3 to recognize and install when Nero 6 is installed.

Our only choice is to continue working Hard to make InCD 4 rock solid. We have come a long way already towards this end. But we know we still have far to go to get InCD 4 to a point were we are satisfied with it's performance and reliability.

Again, InCD 4 is very new, whereas other Packet Writing software programs have had years to make their products as steady as possible. InCD 4 has not yet been out for a full year, but it has already come a long way in a very short time.

Thanks to everyones feedback, and patience, we have come a long way already, and we expect to continue to improve on InCD 4 on a weekly if not daily basis.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:05 pm

Craig, would the work-about i suggested in my previous post work?
(it's not obvious from your reply that the answer is no).
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Ian on Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:22 pm

That's what I eventually did. Didn't work with the drive so its back to DLA.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Daiwa on Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:04 pm

CCampbell wrote:InCD 3 was licensed from BHA. This was and is not source code developed by Ahead. We can not and never could make changes to this software directly. Only via request to BHA.

Was this disclosed by Ahead when InCD 3 was being bundled with Nero? Buried in the EULA? Personally, knowing that might have had some impact on my buying decision. I've run into a similar problem trying to resolve issues with a program which uses ViaVoice - the vendor can't touch it, has to ask IBM for any modifications and they've been, shall we say, somewhat inattentive. At least the relationship was fully disclosed up front, however. CCampbell's comments fail to address the issue of why arrangements weren't made with BHA to enable forward compatibility - that would have helped those who have encountered the problems reported here to have a functional solution pending the decontamination of InCD 4. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but seems to me it would have been in Ahead's interest to do so, not to mention the interests of their customers.

Daiwa
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby CDRecorder on Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:15 pm

I'm quite sure that this information wasn't in the EULA; I always read those things very carefully.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby CCampbell on Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:01 pm

Daiwa wrote:
CCampbell wrote:InCD 3 was licensed from BHA. This was and is not source code developed by Ahead. We can not and never could make changes to this software directly. Only via request to BHA.

Was this disclosed by Ahead when InCD 3 was being bundled with Nero? Buried in the EULA? Personally, knowing that might have had some impact on my buying decision. I've run into a similar problem trying to resolve issues with a program which uses ViaVoice - the vendor can't touch it, has to ask IBM for any modifications and they've been, shall we say, somewhat inattentive. At least the relationship was fully disclosed up front, however. CCampbell's comments fail to address the issue of why arrangements weren't made with BHA to enable forward compatibility - that would have helped those who have encountered the problems reported here to have a functional solution pending the decontamination of InCD 4. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but seems to me it would have been in Ahead's interest to do so, not to mention the interests of their customers.

Daiwa

We did not hide that we licensed out our Packet Writing software. With InCD 2 we used Prassi's Packet writing software, and with InCD 3 we used BHA. If you looked at any of the files, you would have seen BHA's monicur everywhere. But we of course did not advertise this either. We want to push our name of course. But we made joint announcements with BHA, and in many of the reviews editors normally did make the connections and make mention to the fact it was developed by BHA.

As for making InCD 3 compatible with Nero 6 serial keys. I can not comment on that as I was not part of any of the work on the transition from InCD 3 to InCD 4. Or in on the contracts with BHA. It could be that this problem was not anticipated, or we could not come to an agreement that both parties could agree on. I am unsure at this time.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby Howard Kaikow on Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:40 pm

CCampbell wrote:
Daiwa wrote:

Daiwa

We did not hide that we licensed out our Packet Writing software. With InCD 2 we used Prassi's Packet writing software, and with InCD 3 we used BHA. If you looked at any of the files, you would have seen BHA's monicur everywhere. But we of course did not advertise this either. We want to push our name of course. But we made joint announcements with BHA, and in many of the reviews editors normally did make the connections and make mention to the fact it was developed by BHA.

As for making InCD 3 compatible with Nero 6 serial keys. I can not comment on that as I was not part of any of the work on the transition from InCD 3 to InCD 4. Or in on the contracts with BHA. It could be that this problem was not anticipated, or we could not come to an agreement that both parties could agree on. I am unsure at this time.

Regards,

Craig

OK ,now that we know that BHA wrote the code for InCD 3 and that Aheadmay not have had the right to modify the code, it becomes clearer why InCD 4 has caused such difficulties.
Howard Kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:20 pm

Craig, i must say, it's a pity that having posted in this topic twice since i asked my question you did not answer it. even answering "i do not know" is better than igonring it.

@kaikow:
OK ,now that we know that BHA wrote the code for InCD 3 and that Ahead may not have had the right to modify the code, it becomes clearer why InCD 4 has caused such difficulties.

that is not fair - a cheap shot at Ahead ?
true they are taking way too much time to fix the problems but still...
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby CCampbell on Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:04 pm

dodecahedron wrote:Craig, i must say, it's a pity that having posted in this topic twice since i asked my question you did not answer it. even answering "i do not know" is better than igonring it.

@kaikow:
OK ,now that we know that BHA wrote the code for InCD 3 and that Ahead may not have had the right to modify the code, it becomes clearer why InCD 4 has caused such difficulties.

that is not fair - a cheap shot at Ahead ?
true they are taking way too much time to fix the problems but still...

Sorry Dodecahedron, I did not mean to ignore you. I meant to respond each time, but each of my responses were so long, that by the time I got to the end of them I had forgotten your question. Not excuseable, but true nonetheless. :oops:

But I do not know to be honest. And I suspect it will not. I will test later today when I get the chance.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:25 pm

thanks, Craig.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Daiwa on Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:59 pm

Thanks for your prompt & forthright reply, Craig.

It's a situation we'll just have to live with, and hopefully it will ultimately be moot once Ahead's own version of InCD is reliable. To put a positive spin on it, this should help Ahead be a little more proactive in keeping the customer's needs in mind in advance of decisions/changes of this magnitude. Shipping a new product which disables a functioning product, especially one provided by the same company, is seldom a good idea, particularly when the affected product is largely intended for a critical function - data backup. 0.02

Daiwa
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)