Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Floppy Drive Problem

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Floppy Drive Problem

Postby Albinoni on Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:16 pm

Hi, I recently bought a 2nd hand desktop PC from a computer swap meet. I took it home and set it up, powered it on, and all went very well, the PC had 95 pre installed on it, so I then decided to do a clean install of 2000 Pro, which all went well.

Now the problem is that when ever I place a floppy disk in the floppy drive, go ot My Computer, then double click the A drive in My Computer to access or open the floppy drive, what then happens is that the green light (floppy light) comes on, stays green constant, and I get a msg asking me to insert a floppy disk, but yet again theres already a floppy disk in the drive, so my only option is to press cancel and get out.

I also went and bought a brand new floppy drive and also a brand new floppy drive cable, but yet again I was back to square one. I've also tried different disks, say about 10 or 15, but yet again like I said when I go to My Computer, then the A drive to access the floppy disk, the green light just comes on, stays on and I get a msg asking me to pls insert a floppy disk, but a disk is already in there.

Sorry but this has totally confused me, and your help would be greatly appreciated.
Albinoni
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:26 pm

Have you tried a different floppy cable? If that still doesn't fix it, it might be a bad floppy controller on the motherboard.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Albinoni on Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:38 pm

Hi Ian, I did buy a new floppy drive and new cable to see if it would fix the problem, but no luck.

And how does one check to see if a floppy controller is faulty.
Albinoni
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:52 am

well, take the floppy drive and the floppy cable and try them out in another computer. assuming the drive & cable work OK in the other computer, they're not the problem.

in this case, most likely the problem is with the floppy controller on the motherboard and there's nothing you can do about it (except, of course, to replace the motherboard).
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby tazdevl on Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:00 am

Flip the cable on the back of the drive over. You have it on backwards.
RIG:
P4 2.6C, Thermalright SP94/Panaflo 92MM M1A, IC7 Max3, Swifty MCX159, 1GB Geil PC4000 Ultra Plat, Radeon 8500, Audigy 2, 2X WD Raptor RAID 0, WD 250GB SE, Plex 708A, 166SDVD, LianLi PC75, XP Pro.
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Postby Action Jackson on Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:12 pm

tazdevl wrote:Flip the cable on the back of the drive over. You have it on backwards.

Won't the floppy light stay on constantly after bootup whether or not there is a diskette present?

That's what's happened to me on the various computers I've built.
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:49 am

Um, no.

Looks like your PC's need to be fixed... :wink:

Action Jackson wrote:
tazdevl wrote:Flip the cable on the back of the drive over. You have it on backwards.

Won't the floppy light stay on constantly after bootup whether or not there is a diskette present?

That's what's happened to me on the various computers I've built.
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby Action Jackson on Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:27 am

LOL!

I meant that if the floppy cable was on backwards, then the floppy light would stay on. Sometimes I would do this accidentally.

All my PC's work fine. Except the one with a defective floppy controller..... :wink:
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:30 pm

Is it possible that the wrong type of floppy drive (i.e. low density or 5.25 inch) is selected in the BIOS?
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Return to General Hardware Discussion