Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Best media for audio....

Burn baby burn!

Best media for audio....

Postby gurgenpb on Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:16 pm

Hey Guys.....

I have an infiniti G35 witht he WORST SOUND SYSTEM IN THE WORLD. Got a Plextor Premium drive and no matter what media I used (inlcuding the TY 48x media - the bst so far), I get severe static, popping sounds that overpower the music itself. Checked with PlexTools, very low errors, incl. Jitter and beta.

ANysuggestions. Maybe I need something with a darker dye.

Gurgen
gurgenpb
Buffer Underrun

Postby aviationwiz on Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:46 pm

What speed are you burning the audio disks at? Audio CD's should be burned at 24x or slower, regardless of drive.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby wicked1 on Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:08 am

how do you figure that you should have to burn on the "best" 52X burner at 24X??? Isnt the 52X why you buy it and besides that he said the disks scanned good anyway.I burn alot of audio disks at 52X with no compatibility problems.One should expect a 52X burner to do a nice burn at full speed especially when you pay a "premium" for it.
Pioneer dvr-108,NEC 3540,BenQ 1640,LiteOn 1693S
Intel pentium D 930 oc to 4.2 ghz
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum
hardware mpeg2 encoder card

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good
wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:44 am

aviationwiz wrote:What speed are you burning the audio disks at? Audio CD's should be burned at 24x or slower, regardless of drive.

I typically burn mine at 52x on my LTR-52327Ss, and everything works fine that way.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby gurgenpb on Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:53 am

I burned them at all speeds, including 8x which seemed to show the best jitter rate on this drive, with and without VariRec.

ALL speeds have the problem.... 8x, and 4x included. All testing was done on TY 48x media. That's why I have been asking for suggestions on a specific media type that can be read by a really bad cd player (which cost me 900 bucks).

Gurgen
gurgenpb
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:16 am

Taiyo Yuden, Mitsui, and Mitsubishi Chemicals will give you the best results, however, if your sound system just sucks, then it just sucks. Can it even play pressed discs properly? (as in store bought audio CDs?).
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby gurgenpb on Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:54 am

yeah pressed disks are played back very well... Just not recorded disks.

IS there anything to the type of dye used (like Yamaha had those dark AZO dye used for T@2 technology)?

Gurgen
gurgenpb
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:47 am

The Disc T@2 discs were made by Mitsubishi Chemicals, and used the AZO dye type. Look for Verbatim DataLife *PLUS* (must say PLUS) CD-Rs. They *might* work better.... The Mitsui Gold discs might also work better.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:20 am

wicked1 wrote:how do you figure that you should have to burn on the "best" 52X burner at 24X??? Isnt the 52X why you buy it and besides that he said the disks scanned good anyway.I burn alot of audio disks at 52X with no compatibility problems.One should expect a 52X burner to do a nice burn at full speed especially when you pay a "premium" for it.

I've always notched the speed of my audio burns a little bit. I first did it on my HP 10x, then on my Lite-On 48x, and now on my Plextor 52x. In all honesty, I never even tried doing audio on the Lite-On or the Plextor at full speed.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:24 pm

I generally just burn all my stuff at either 16x or 24x, because that is where I always see the best results on my media. Everytime I buy new media, I test it at every speed, and go with the speed that works best for that media on my drives :D

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:01 pm

I would recommend Mitsui Silver over Gold when it comes to compatability with picky players.

Now the question is what's the problem.
Tray light jitter - THen try MItsubishi Metal AZO media
Error rate - Then try TY this media is known for the lowest error rate on most drives.
Reflectivity - THen use Mitsui Silver (/Gold)
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:10 pm

In these circumstances, and ONLY in circumstances like this, you may want to consider using the Plextor Premium's Vari-Record function. With some trial and error, you may be able to improve your discs' performance.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby gurgenpb on Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:31 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:In these circumstances, and ONLY in circumstances like this, you may want to consider using the Plextor Premium's Vari-Record function. With some trial and error, you may be able to improve your discs' performance.

I tried VariRec on one disk, it didn't play back at all. What power (-3 to +3 or smth) should I use.

thanks for the suggestions

Gurgen
gurgenpb
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:25 am

Well, I think it would have to be a trial and error process, since there is no real guide to using it, all I can suggest is making sure you are using the right setting for the dye type on the CD-R, and then playing around with the various settings. It may not help though...

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:59 am

Mitsui discs = excellent for audio

Taiyo Yuden, Mitsubishi or other cyanine dye discs may show more compatibility with CD players.

I agree with aviationwiz that audio discs should be burned at a low speed (I usually stick to 8X) because it usually causes greater compatibility with CD players. It's true, you could burn an audio disc at 52X and have it play fine in all your CD players, but there may come a day when you use a friend's CD player or buy a new player that doesn't like your 52X disc very much. For cases like these, a disc burned at a lower speed may solve the problem entirely, or it may not. Case in point, I burn my audio discs at 8X because I have an old portable CD Player that won't read a CD-R disc above 12X clearly. Even 12X can be sketchy with this particular model, but 8X is fine.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby Han on Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:07 am

I hate to say MITSUI is not that great for anything. Discs age quite quickly and some players just can't playback audio without errors. :-?

I'm getting best results with these FujiFilm discs. They're made in Germany.
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby TheWizard on Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:12 am

Not to get into a heated argument, but I believe there are some Mitsui discs that are better than others. I know for a fact that some professionals use Mitsui discs for audio production. That, in and of itself, speaks highly of Mitsui! Which specific model of Mitsui discs do they use? That I do not know off-hand.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:29 am

The problem with Mitsui is that it was largely bought out by Computer Support Italcard, and ever since then the quality has been much lower then it used to be. Some Mitsui discs are still quite good, and others just suck. So far I don't know how to tell one from the other... mainly because I REFUSE to pay about $1.00 per disc at this point, just to burn a couple of CD-Rs I'll never look at again! So maybe in a few months when I have aquired a license to purchase blank CD-Rs without the stupid $0.21 per CD-R levy that all Canadians have to pay.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:09 am

Han wrote:I hate to say MITSUI is not that great for anything. Discs age quite quickly and some players just can't playback audio without errors. :-?

I'm getting best results with these FujiFilm discs. They're made in Germany.

Then you probally bought some newer stock of MAM and you might even have used the so called Golden Dye media. WHich is Mitsui Silver media that didn't finish all internal quality tests for real Silver media.

I have used Mitsui made disc's in the past very much. And I can say there compatabiloity is really above average. Infact this is the only media my old Philips 3610 burner can still burn and the only media that will work as good as real cd's on my parents JVC stereo after the lens is covered. with dust ones again.

$1.00(Canadian or american) a disc. Is that to high for media used for testing. Hmm I have seen Mitsui profesional media seeing sold for prices up to 3 euro's.

Fuji Germany is nice media. However they allways score bad when it comes to accelerated ageing, humidity and corrosion. In all the quick tests just based on burn quality the media is up at the highest places.
However I wouldn't use them for archiving after the test results and after the comments of a local store owner not to buy it since Fuji rots away in his car because of humidity. So he would recommend me the cheaper but 1-16x limited verbatim metal azo disc's since these never gave him problems.( And that batch never gave me problems even my allmost Dead Lite On could burn these but with sky high errors that is.)
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Han on Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:52 am

I've been using genuine Mitsui media since 1999 when I bought TEAC CD-R58S, which is still my primary writer. The Reference Gold ones, which are supposed to be of excellent quality, are definitely not so good. Silver Gold media, rated up to 12x speed were fine, but 16x and faster suffer from too many errors at the edge of the media... A friend who owns TEAC CD-R56S has told me that many Mitsui SG failed after about three years - some audio tracks couldn't be read anymore, pops and clicks appeared etc.

MAM media really sucks. Discs are badly balanced, the edge of the disc is rough, and out of 50 I had to trash 2 because of defects.

I hope you know that FUJI Germany sells its own media (FUJI Photo Film Co., Ltd.) in jewel cases, while the Ritek ones are packed in spindles.
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:18 pm

That was $1.00 Canadian for the low end Silver bulk Mitsui's. it's closer to $2.00 for the Mitsui Golds (maybe a bit more) and closer to $4.00 for the medical grade stuff... and that's *STAFF* pricing, at an official Mitsui Distributor! :-?

So like I said, I'm waiting to get my levy zero rating number so I can knock $0.21 off of each price :D

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives