Home News Reviews Forums Shop

HP 48x CDRs

Burn baby burn!

HP 48x CDRs

Postby seaegg on Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:55 am

Does anyone know who manufacturers these discs?
Scientia Est Potentia
seaegg
CD-RW Player

Postby David on Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:06 pm

CMC Magnetics makes them.

You can check out dolphinius_rex's review here http://www.thedolphinreview.com/HP48xCD-Rs/Page1.html.
David
CD-RW Player

Postby seaegg on Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:09 pm

Thanks I guess I'll stick to my old Fujis and Maxells.
Scientia Est Potentia
seaegg
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:23 pm

Good idea! I wouldn't recommend them unless you are Aviationwiz, or have a similar interest in Plextor drives. :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:17 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Good idea! I wouldn't recommend them unless you are Aviationwiz, or have a similar interest in Plextor drives. :wink:

I really don't get that. I hate CMC and would not get them ever. I'd also like to add that I was the first one who made a post about these disks and specificaly stated that I didn't get them because they are made by CMC.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby cfitz on Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:59 pm

I think he confused you with TheWizard, who often defends CMC. :)

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:14 am

Nope, I meant what I said actually. Why did I say that? Because the only drive that these discs worked properly and even REALLY WELL on was the Plextor Premium... which brings me back to aviationwiz :wink:

Of course, they probably still have a very short lifespan, but at least the error rate is low (when burned on the Plextor Premium and possibly other Plex drives).
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:27 am

Ahh, now I get it. Now how long have I been saying the Plextor was the superior drive, since June roughly. It even works well with CMC, though it doesn't work as well with CMC as TY, at least in my tests, but that is expected.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby cfitz on Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:05 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:Nope, I meant what I said actually. Why did I say that? Because the only drive that these discs worked properly and even REALLY WELL on was the Plextor Premium... which brings me back to aviationwiz :wink:

aviationwiz wrote:Now how long have I been saying the Plextor was the superior drive, since June roughly. It even works well with CMC

Oh please, dolphinius_rex, don't encourage the Plextor Fan(atic). :( :wink:

Particularly when it just isn't true that only the Plextor Premium can burn low-error CMC discs:

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:10 am

Okay, first of all, I didn't mean that *only* the plextor premium can burn CMC media error free. In fact, I didn't even mean that only the Plextor Premium can burn HP branded 48x CMC media error free. I simply mean that the HP 48x media burned well on the Plextor Premium, and it didn't on the LiteON 48125W. If I had more of the HP 48x CD-Rs, I would have tested it on my LiteON LDW-411s for more comparison testing, but I only had 10pcs.

And yes aviationwiz, the Plextor Premium DOES burn SOME media better then other drives.... and guess what, the opposite is ALSO true. And I can easily say this as a Plextor Premium owner, as well as a LiteON owner.

For the record, My LiteON DVD burner outperformed the Plextor Premium on most of the testing on the Optimum 48x CD-Rs I tested :D

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Bhairav on Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:25 am

Pity about the new HP 48X discs being CMC. The older 24X discs are TY. I've located a dealer with huge stocks of these discs left, and I'm stocking up, as these seem to be the only TY discs in India.
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby rdgrimes on Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:44 am

CMC 48x burned at 52x in LTR-52327S:

rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:16 pm

rdgrimes: What brand was that disc? with CMC discs, more then any other manufacturer that I've seen (possible exception being MBIL, but I haven't dealt with their discs yet), differ from brand to brand.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:37 pm

Well CMC has really a lot of internal grades that they put on the market.
Next they also use what they can get for a good price when it comes to chemicals for the dye. THis means that there might be bigger differences because of the composition of the dye. And if some lazy companny just based there burning strategy on very limited values and doesn't have a great running OPC you will find great differences in behaviour.

Next then we get is the effect of the balancing. A lot of the brands use different upper layer. And CMC uses different methods for placing these on the disc's. Which again makes a greater variance in peformance.

With MBIL you can expect also very great differences.
I have used Emtec Extra (MBIL) disc's, no-name (MBIL) disc's and Emtec Ceram Guard disc. And the performance of the Ceram Guards doesn't match the other 2. (It's better but then again Emtec Ceram Guards are supposed to be based on the better disc's Emtec sells for consumers.)
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby rdgrimes on Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:01 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:rdgrimes: What brand was that disc? with CMC discs, more then any other manufacturer that I've seen (possible exception being MBIL, but I haven't dealt with their discs yet), differ from brand to brand.

Memorex 50ct spindle
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:27 pm

cfitz wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:Nope, I meant what I said actually. Why did I say that? Because the only drive that these discs worked properly and even REALLY WELL on was the Plextor Premium... which brings me back to aviationwiz :wink:

aviationwiz wrote:Now how long have I been saying the Plextor was the superior drive, since June roughly. It even works well with CMC

Oh please, dolphinius_rex, don't encourage the Plextor Fan(atic). :( :wink:

Particularly when it just isn't true that only the Plextor Premium can burn low-error CMC discs:
cfitz

Well, of course not only the Premium can burn CMC fairly well, there are all those other Plextor and HP models out there :wink:

Seriously though, CMC is just crappy media, and no drive in the world will really be able to burn it to my own personal standards for CD burning. That is of course personal prefrence on whether CMC meets your own requirements or not.

Also, I do remember having some CMC (Khypermedia) disks that didn't really work well in my LTR-48125W either.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives