Home News Reviews Forums Shop

NU Booktype Setting Utility

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

NU Booktype Setting Utility

Postby Ian on Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:39 am

Thanks to Murse, we now have NU Tech's booktype setting utility. You can download it HERE.

Please link to this page and not directly to the file. If that happens, the file will be removed.
Last edited by Ian on Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Murse on Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:44 pm

Now also posted on the Nu Tech site. At least they are quick about getting things up on their site...even it may take a little prodding :)

http://www.nu-global.com/1_english/3_products/01_ide.php?pID=3#

Then click on the "software" icon. It is in a pop-up window.
Murse
Buffer Underrun

Postby NUT ek on Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:12 pm

Thnks Murse and Ian :)

Will c what it can : do ...............

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
NUT ek
CD-RW Thug

Postby dhc014 on Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:19 pm

Yay link to the popup window: http://www.nu-global.com/1_english/3_pr ... ID=3&cID=2

Thanks guys!
dhc014
CD-RW Player

DVD Info and Bittsetting for Nutek Drives :) (DVDInfo)

Postby NUT ek on Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:59 am

Hey guys DVDInfo (aka Nic Wilson) is going to add Bitsetting for the Nutech Drives :0 This is what I found :)

The Netfarer Forums -> DVDRRW.ORG -> DVD Format Comparisons

DVDInfoPro and bitsetting minus format, Watch this space for DVD-R/RW bitsetting.

"Posted: Oct 30 2003, 02:43 AM

Netfarer

Folks,

There is not much I can say at this time except, this is being worked on at the moment and any news on this subject will be reported here. I am working very close with some engineers on this and exploring it.

cheers
NicW"

http://www.dvdrrw.org/

Sorry no direct linkage is possible.

His app is going to be so sweet.....my DDW-081 wont know what to do :)
NUT ek
CD-RW Thug

Postby Gazza on Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:25 pm

What actually is Book Type setting ?
And is this the same as Bit setting that I read about sometimes here ?
thanks
Paul
Gazza
CD-RW Thug

Postby NUT ek on Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:48 am

Bitsetting in a nutshell is changing the booktype of media.......eg the ability to change the book type on dvd+r media to be a dvd-rom book type....this may be required where some dvd players may not like to play DVD+R media but will happily play DVD-ROM.

Ok here is an explanation that says it all.
"For a DVD player or drive to identify what kind of disc is loaded, it queries the so called "Book Type Field" found in the lead-in section of each DVD disc. These few bits, commonly referred to as "compatibility bitsettings" tell the drive which low-level format specification does the media conform to, such as DVD-ROM, DVD+R or DVD+RW.

Most DVD players will read a DVD+RW or DVD+R disc without any problems, however a small minority of them report a disc error when a disc is loaded that is not marked as a "DVD-ROM" disc in the compatibility bits. Ususally, these players are physically able to read the disc (since DVD+RW reflectivity is identical to that of a dual layered DVD-Video disc, which all players must be capable of reading), but their compatibility problems are due to different interpretations of these bits in the various firmware versions. In most cases, the problem can be solved by updating the firmware.

When a firmware fix is unavailable, or when you want to increase changes of playability when you give the disc to others with an unknown player, you could solve the issue by marking the DVD+R or DVD+RW disc as a DVD-ROM disc. This is what's called "changing the compatibility bitsettings". To instruct your DVD recorder to mark your DVD+R or DVD+RW discs as DVD-ROM, a special procedure must be followed. On a DVD+RW video recorder, you need to press a number of keys on the remote control. With a DVD+RW PC drive, you'll need a special utility program to accomplish this."

Here is a new bitsetting util avalable from DVDInfo for the NUTek Drive:

This util actually shows the book type once it has beed changed and set:):)

www.dvdinfopro.com/download/qsiutil.zip

http://www.dvdrrw.org/ found it thru here:)
NUT ek
CD-RW Thug

Postby Gazza on Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:01 am

Thanks for the explanation !
Gazza
CD-RW Thug

Postby scopey on Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:35 pm

Is 'bitsetting' synonomous with 'finalizing'? I think 'finalizing' is used by standalone consumer Panasonic DVD+RW recorders, and once you finalize a DVD you can no longer write to it.
scopey
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:11 pm

No, it sets the book type. For example you can make it so that a DVD+RW disc looks like a DVD-ROM to a DVD player. Essentially, it improves compatibility.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby BGPGuy on Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:01 pm

So DVD-ROM read speeds are usually higher then DVD+R read speeds on burners (I think). Does changing the bit setting allow faster read speeds since it "thinks" it is DVD-ROM? If I burn something other then a VOB file, like a WM9 or HD .ts file to the disk, and set the bit setting to DVD-ROM, will my software DVD player try to play it? I archive OTA HD broadcasts for personal use and do not want my software DVD player trying to open them, but would like to benefit from faster read speeds if possible.
BGPGuy
Buffer Underrun

Postby Gazza on Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:53 pm

Does this utility only support certain drives ?
Is this the only software that has the option to change the bit setting ?
Gazza
CD-RW Thug

Postby Ian on Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:44 pm

Gazza wrote:Does this utility only support certain drives ?

Yes, this is a utility from Nu Tech for their drives.

Is this the only software that has the option to change the bit setting ?

For the Nu Tech drives? Yes. However, I heard that DVDINFOpro will also be able to do this soon if it doesn't already.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Gazza on Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:20 pm

Do all drives support bit setting or is that just an option for the manufacturers ?
I'd like to know if my Optorite 401 might/will have this ability whether thru firmware upgrade or thru some type of software.
Gazza
CD-RW Thug

Postby NUT ek on Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:17 am

atm no they dont but they may with future f/w updates, the ones I know that do are thr ricoh and nutek drives :), there may be others Ian and co may know of them. :D
NUT ek
CD-RW Thug

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:42 am

as a matter of fact i believe most drive don't have such a feature.

isn't it against the rules of the DVD Forum or something?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Ian on Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:18 pm

There's a new version of the util out there:

"http://www.nu-global.com/admin/download/file/NuUtil v1.02 .zip"

Note the spaces in the file name..
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby jagercola on Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:54 pm

Ian: What part of the internal flash memory is used when using the bitsetting utilitiy? I saw your caution appear under the dvd+rw section in the help file with the new utility. If I write to the bit setting of a dvd+r disk will it still wear my internal memory up or is that just for the +rw? Thanks -Will
jagercola
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:09 pm

I saw that too. I'm not really sure what they mean. How can you wear out your drive's flash memory?

Ask Nic Wilson (DVDINFOpro guy). He wrote the util for Nu Tech.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby cfitz on Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:27 pm

Ian wrote:I saw that too. I'm not really sure what they mean. How can you wear out your drive's flash memory?

Non-volatile memories have finite lifetimes, and can only be rewritten a fixed number of times. It is akin to the limited lifetime of CD-RW media. Depending on models, manufacturers, and technologies, I've seen non-volatile memories with ratings ranging from 100 to 100,000 rewrite cycles.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby jagercola on Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:12 am

So when you use this program, does it change the book type in the memory so that every disk will be dvd-rom until you change it back? or do you change it for every disk? My ddw-081 is at zipzoomfly.com and will be on its way back to me next week I hope.
jagercola
Buffer Underrun

Book Type setting-- hooray!

Postby scopey on Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:20 pm

BOY, I am glad I bought the NuTech DDW-081. The book type setting utility really saved me, yesterday I burned my first DVD video disc from an image file (DVD Shrink -> ImgTool -> DVD Decrypter). The final disc worked fine in the computer with PowerDVD, but my slightly older DVD-Video player (actually built into my Panasonic TV) couldn't read it and wouldn't play it at all. SO, I changed the book value of both DVD+R and DVD+RW to DVD-ROM, reburned the same disc and now it works fine in my DVD-Video player. Sweet!

I can't imagine a situation where I would change the book value(s) back to DVD+R/RW...does anyone know when this might be useful or necessary?

Jagercola: you just change the book value one time, then every disc you create afterwards will have that type. No need to change it for every disc.
scopey
Buffer Underrun

Postby jagercola on Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:38 am

Great, thanks for that answer... That utility is gold!
jagercola
Buffer Underrun

Postby Spazmogen on Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:32 am

jagercola wrote:Great, thanks for that answer... That utility is gold!

Personally I have not seen a reason for it, but I'm sure there's one.

It could just be my hardware set up, but I'm not sure.

NEC ND1100a & Nero 6. My 3 year old Hitachi stand-alone player has no problems with anything I throw at it.

When I burn a DVD Video disc and check it with Nic's program it always shows the book type as DVD-ROM, even though I'm using +R's. I've not yet tried it with +RW's. Regardless of how I got the files (camcorder or DVD2ONE).
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby nicw on Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:59 am

Ian wrote:I saw that too. I'm not really sure what they mean. How can you wear out your drive's flash memory?

Ask Nic Wilson (DVDINFOpro guy). He wrote the util for Nu Tech.

Hi,

The hitachi flash memory used to store the values, only has a write life cycle of 100 times so dont change them too often. Set and forget basically. Any questions about the Nu utility you can direct to me as I wrote it for them.

cheers
NicW
www.dvdinfopro.com
www.dvdrrw.org
nicw
Buffer Underrun

Next

Return to DVD Writers