Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Interface for Playstation to Laptop

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Interface for Playstation to Laptop

Postby F1Pilot on Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:24 pm

Hi all...

Anyone out there know of any manufacturers that make interfaces for gameplay ability on a laptop? My boss is going on a trip with his kids and wants them to have the ability to play the ol' PSX. He's not concerned with framerate, etc. I've heard mention of USB Live from Hauppauge. Any 411 will be greatly appreciated!
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby treemana on Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:45 am

Assuming that the laptop has a USB port, any USB video-capture device should do. I own a Hauppauge internal video capture board that I have been very happy with. So, in my biased opinion, I would lean toward the Hauppauge product.

The Hauppauge WinTV-USB accepts composite video and audio which would be compatible with a PS1. The only drawback I can think of is that the audio is mono. Although, you may be able to get around this by connecting the PS1 audio output directly into the laptop's sound card (line-in).

For more info try the Hauppauge site.
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...
treemana
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:44 am

I don't think my boss will mind it being mono as opposed to stereo. However, reading more and more about it, I think I might get one for myself. I wish ATI made one of them. I'd like to take advantage of that Tivo style deal they do with the Gemstar on the All-In-Wonder.

Thank you very much for the input, treemana 8)
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby treemana on Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:14 pm

You're welcome. My Hauppauge card came with a "Tivo-like" PVR functionality. But, I haven't really used it much since I actually have Tivo!
treemana
CD-RW Player

Postby Turkeyscore.com on Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:46 am

what resolution can it record?
zzzt *pop*
Turkeyscore.com
CD-RW Player

Postby treemana on Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:11 am

My internal Hauppauge card (WinTV-PVR250) can record up to DVD resolution (720x480). It has hardware MPEG-2 encoding, so you're not using up your CPU resources to to the encoding.

As for the USB capture boxes, Hauppauge makes a few different models. Their high end model (WinTV-PVR USB2) also has the hardware MPEG-2 encoder. It's specs are very similar to the internal card that I own. (720x480, etc.)

The low-end model that I mentioned in my previous posts, is mainly intended to be used to watch TV. Although you can record AVI files with it. It is mainly intended for short clips. Because the 4:2:2 video sampling rate they use can result in very large files.
treemana
CD-RW Player

Return to General Hardware Discussion