Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Heads up on Memorex "Cool Colors" CD-Rs...

Burn baby burn!

Heads up on Memorex "Cool Colors" CD-Rs...

Postby BurninMan921 on Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:38 pm

Just a quick heads up: I have a spindle here that has discs from TWO different manufactures: CMC and Prodisc. I've never seen any company mix CD-R's from different manufactures on the same spindle.
On my 52327S, the Prodiscs will burn at 48x, the CMC at 52x. Neither are great discs, but...

ID strings:
Manufacturer: Prodisc
Code: 97m32s19f

Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics
Code: 97m26s66f

Yet another reason I don't buy Memorex CD's (they're my roommates).

EDIT: Heads up part 2:
Just noticed this. Got a 50 pack of Maxell 48x CD-Rs (Riteks). On the surface of each and every disc, in the exact same spot, is a small pin-hole like mark-two on each disc, actually. They seem to only be on the label-a CD surface scan came back 100% Good. Gee, what great luck I'm having today with CDs...whats next? The 250 TY's I have will now all ID as CMCs?!? :cry:
Soon to be proud user of Mandrake 10 (again!). SuSE 9 sucks!
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:31 pm

I've seen different ATIP codes in the same spindle, but never from two different manufacturers.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:30 pm

Agreed, I've never seen two different manufacturers on the same spindle, only different ATIPs.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby BurninMan921 on Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:22 pm

I've never even seen different ATIP's before. It's probably just a one-time muck-up.

I didn't know that Memorex used Prodisc, either. I thought they were all CMC's (well, at least for CD-Rs. CD-RWs, well, that's different).
Soon to be proud user of Mandrake 10 (again!). SuSE 9 sucks!
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:29 pm

I have seen this one befor with Verbatim DVD media halfway the spindle changed from MCC to CMC(It stated datalife so people shouldn't argue that the MCC disc's changed to CMC since with datalife you can expect CMC. They should actually be lucky for the 30 MCC DVD-R disc's !). Okay technically it is the same factory and some people could say it's just a atip change. But still MCC is way better supported as CMC by the drive manufacturers. So that's why I don't like the changing fact.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:21 pm

BurninMan921 wrote:I didn't know that Memorex used Prodisc, either. I thought they were all CMC's (well, at least for CD-Rs. CD-RWs, well, that's different).

A friend of mine has Memorex CD-Rs that are made by Prodisc. I've never seen two different brands of discs in a single spindle, though.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives