Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Can you rip at different speeds with CloneDVD?

SlySoft, Alcohol, VSO Software, NTI, etc.

Can you rip at different speeds with CloneDVD?

Postby NoSmartz on Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:46 pm

Was wondering if you can rip at different speeds with CloneDVD?You can with cloneCD but I haven't seen that option with CloneDVD.I rip't a movie with DVDShrink and then burned with CloneDVD and it picked 8x speed to burn at and the dvd came out with a lot of "Pixelating".

E
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby BurninMan921 on Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:35 pm

Burn speed has nothing to do with how pixelated the movie looks-that 100% depends on how much the movie has to be compressed to fit onto the DVD+/-R disc.

Best bets for max quality:
1. Using DVDShink, rip only the main movie (Reauthor mode). Use 3.05b, not 2.3, and use the Deep Analysis mode.
2. Rip the movie using DVD Decrypter, and compress it using the new version of Nero Recode-again, enable the Deep Analysis mode.
3. If you have to have the entire disc, compress the extras/special features more than the main movie.
4. Don't forget to remove any extra audio tracks you don't need - spanish, french, director's commentary, etc. Also DTS takes up a (bleep)-load of space compared to AC3. Personally, I just keep the 6-channel AC3 track only.
No matter what: minimize the amount of compression you have to do on the main movie. If you have a TV show disc, try using DVD Shrinks reauthor mode to put only 3 ep's/disc instead of all 4-it helped A LOT on the CSI backups I made. Recode 2 did a VERY good job with a full disc copy of them, though. Some artifacting was still visible-but it was very hard to see. I'm just the kind of person that looks for and can spot that kind of thing very easily...

I hope that helps you!
Soon to be proud user of Mandrake 10 (again!). SuSE 9 sucks!
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:40 pm

I think I'm describing wrong what I see in some of the movies I rip.Pixelating is probably not the right word to use.They are actually bad spots in the movie.Every movie I burnt with CloneDVD that was burnt at 8x had these "pixel" (or squarish)looking things show up on the screen here and there.I thought that it was the speed of the burn process so I started using Nero at 2.4 and 4x and now everything is fine.I use Shrink 3.0,nero and a few other apps.What reinforced my thoughts on burn speed was,yesterday I saw and article link that was posted and I went,Ahhh Haaa.Check it out.
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=Plextor+PX%2D708A&index=13

It said the Plextor 708 had trouble burning in 8x with Ricoh stamped media.All my memorex media is made by ricoh.I like using CloneDVD and thought if there was a way to slow down the burn speed,I could use it more.Is there?

E
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby BurninMan921 on Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:17 pm

Ahh...I think I know exactly what you mean. Kinda like a purple or odd-colored block(s) on the screen? Like you sometimes see in corrupted AVIs/MPGs?

That could be (and probably is) the player having a hard time reading the disc.

That media you're using probably just isn't suited to 8x burning. Drop the burn speed or switch media types.

I've had some problems on my burner with Verbatiums burning at 8x (ie, they DONT burn at 8x)-but so far they play back ok. But I don't trust them with data unless I burn 'em at 4x now.

As a side note, what media are you using? The Plex should be great at burning at 8x on most 4x discs...it's much better at it than mine, that's for sure.
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:21 pm

Kinda like a purple or odd-colored block(s) on the screen? Like you sometimes see in corrupted AVIs/MPGs?

Exactly!!!!!!!
I use memorex dvd+r 4x(purple package) from best buy.My plexi says it can rip at 8x.So does a lot of recomendations here at cdrlabs.I couldn't afford the Verbatim datalife +'s so I got the memorex' for 50 for $50.00.If you continue reading that link I posted earlier you'll see that it has a hard time writing quite a few brands at 8x that plextor states that it can write at.I'm not gonna complain though,I don't mind waiting 14(4x) and 24(2.4x)minutes for my flix to burn.
Can I change the burn speed in CloneDVD?
98% of the time I use Nero but I thought I'd ask and see.
By the way,Maxell also screwed up at 8x. :o

E
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby BurninMan921 on Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:07 am

I don't have CloneDVD so I can't answer that 100%, but I did look at Doom9's CloneDVD backup guide and didn't see anything about setting burn speed-just picking the burner.

For now I'd stick to Nero for burning the DVD's.

And hey, the difference between 4x and 8x really isn't that bad: ~15 minutes for 4x, and about ~10 minutes for 8x-at least for me. Your Plex should be a bit faster (my drive is 4x-8x, your's is 6x-8x). Meritline has 4x Ritek disks that should work great in your Plextor at 8x; the actual 8x Riteks are "in limbo" for a bit-see the whole Ritek 8x DVD+R thread...

I was planning to pick up some of the Memorex discs...but if they don't work in the Plextor at 8x, they sure ain't gonna work in my drive! I've had great luck with TDK's disks, though! And very poor results with the Verbatium disks.
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:06 am

Don't worry about the memorex at 4x or less.They work great.4x is what there rated for.Since burnin' at 2.4x and 4x they have givin' me no probs whatsoever.I can't find the 4x ritek's here where I'm at so I'll have to look online.Shocking about Verbatim 'cause for the plexi they are rated the best.I would like to try TDK's more,but like the Verbatim's they cost too much.
I'll stick with nero for burnin' dvd files.It's works perfect anyhow.I just wanted test another option with CloneDVD.Oh well.
You mentioned previously about rippin with shrink then using decrypter. So rip it with shrink,then use decrypter to rip again then use Recode to compress.Why use Decrypter when Shrink does same thing?
:o

E
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby BurninMan921 on Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:26 am

Sorry, that wasn't supposed to be a step-by-step. Just trying to give you a couple of different options. DVD Shrink works great by itself. But if you want to use Nero's Recode, you have to rip the movie over to your hard drive first-and DVD Decrypter is a bit better at that then Shrink.

So, you can use Shrink/Nero or DVD Decrypter/Recode to Rip/compress/burn the movies...

Oh, try looking at Target for the TDK disks-my local one has 30 packs for about $30 a lot.
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:58 am

That's convenient.I'm going to target in the morning,I'll check.
Yeah,I usually use Shrink 3 or DCS.I'll stick with what's worked so far.
Nero 6 is part of that!!!

Try Region free and Recode.It works well to!!!
AnyDVD works to but is a bit slower.

thanx

E
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:04 pm

Just found out that CloneDVD does come with a choice to change speeds of your burn.It comes with CloneDVD v1.3.9.8

E
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Return to Other CD, DVD and Blu-ray Burning Software