Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Audio Tape to CD Recording

Burn baby burn!

Postby U2boy on Wed Dec 31, 1969 10:35 pm

Anyone knows how to easily record old audio tapes to CD or a website of a company that provides that kind of service?
U2boy
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Wed Dec 31, 1969 10:36 pm

Check out NTI CD-Maker for this sort of thing.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby jase on Wed Dec 31, 1969 10:37 pm

If you are going to do a lot of them, a hifi seperate/component (I think that's what the US guys call seperates!!!) CD recorder will give you much better results than any PC sound card. Just get one of them (assuming your hifi system has an audio output or is seperate units-based) and a few audio CDRWs and use your PC for editing once you have them on disc. Then of course things like DART Pro etc come into their own for getting rid of the hiss etc. But you can't put back what isn't there in the recording, and honestly, a PC soundcard is no good in terms of sound quality -- even the better ones use some scandalously cheap parts!
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby NightFlyer on Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:31 am

Regarding soundcard recording quality, I invite you to listen to some recordings I have made with my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card from various sources.

Absolute peak usually rests above -1 but is never clipped, and the noise floor is sitting down below -95db. There is no sample offset and sound quality is superb. Excellent for a card I bought for less than $100.00

If you are serious about doing audio mastering on PC, there are professional level sound cards available. They are expensive.

To clear up any questions on my authority, I have done freelance sound engineering for years in the broadcast and live performance fields.

-Brian
NightFlyer
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives