Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Why can't nero remove copy protections on dvd's?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Why can't nero remove copy protections on dvd's?

Postby EAX on Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:19 pm

I thought surely Nero could manage this?
EAX
Buffer Underrun

Postby aviationwiz on Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:36 pm

Are you talking about Nero Recode 2?

Get DVD Region Free from this website:
http://www.dvdidle.com/

they have a 30 day free trial, that will allow Nero Recode 2 to decrypt the CSS. Same goes for if you are just trying to do a 1:1 copy in Nero Burning ROM.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby NoSmartz on Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:12 am

Probably 'cause they don't wanna be in court for years.
DVD Region Free like aviationwiz mentioned is great along with Slysoft's AnyDVD.Along with Recode 2 they both work great.

E
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby burninfool on Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:23 am

Decrypting DVD's(CSS) is strictly verboten in Germany so they can't include it with Nero Recode.You can use DVDDecrypter to rip to your HDD then use Recode.
www.dvddecrypter.com

Here's a guide: www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/recode2.htm
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby tazdevl on Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:07 pm

Because it could be facilitating the potential illegal backup of movies. Ahead wants to avoid potential lawsuits and stay in business rather than pissing away resources fighting them.
RIG:
P4 2.6C, Thermalright SP94/Panaflo 92MM M1A, IC7 Max3, Swifty MCX159, 1GB Geil PC4000 Ultra Plat, Radeon 8500, Audigy 2, 2X WD Raptor RAID 0, WD 250GB SE, Plex 708A, 166SDVD, LianLi PC75, XP Pro.
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Postby EAX on Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:17 pm

Well, considering dvd media costs around the same as a rental and the price of the disk, you would have to be pretty stupid not to buy the original to begin with. There really isn't a point in copying movies, because the cost+time+effort, isn't worth it, when you can pick up a brand new movie for 15-20 bucks. I guess people do it just to see if they can. :roll:

At any rate, nero doesn't seem to be worth the trouble anymore.
EAX
Buffer Underrun

Postby NoSmartz on Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:32 pm

One DVD at Blockbuster costs $4.23 to rent.I know,my neighbor rented one today.DVD media costs $1.00 a disc on a good day,$2.00 on a bad day.In the future,as seen before,media prices will fall,especially when dual layer comes around.If you have a few or a bunch of bought movies at home you can rip em' and then sell the bought ones to a used DVD store and still have a copy of your originals.Usually you can get $6.00 to $8.00 for a decent used,not bad.Sure most people do it to see if they can but you can recoup your money.

E
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby jaimsite on Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:20 pm

i downloaded and installed dvd region free, but nero recode still couldn't decrypt the copy protection.

it keeps on showing an error popup saying, "nero recode encountered an error and can't continue....copy protection error...failed because sector is encrypted."

how did you make dvd region free get to work with recode???
jaimsite
Buffer Underrun

Postby burninfool on Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:54 am

@jaimsite,
Use DVDDecrypter or SmartRipper.

@EAX,
You assume we only use our DVD writers to copy rentals,sure some people do and it's illegal in most countries but the majority of us backup store bought DVD's so we can save the original.
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Any DVD

Postby TechFan on Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:22 pm

I have found that AnyDVD 3.2.1.1 is an effective choice when using Nero Recode to transcode DVD's. It handles both region code issues and CSS encryption. The website is at:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html[url][/url]
TechFan
Buffer Underrun

Postby EAX on Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:08 pm

[quote="burninfool

@EAX,
You assume we only use our DVD writers to copy rentals,sure some people do and it's illegal in most countries but the majority of us backup store bought DVD's so we can save the original.[/quote]

Actually, I was just responding to the guy who made a comment about this being illegal. My point was, they should allow you to rip regardless because a legitmate copy is owned by you. Thus, why I think Ahead is not the program for me. Still nice for cds though. However, the cost, time, and effort is still greater than just dropping 20 bucks for an original(well worth the cost imo). To each his/her own.
EAX
Buffer Underrun

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)