Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Recommendations Needed for Music Editing Software

Anything else

Postby Cash on Wed Dec 31, 1969 10:36 pm

What is your opinion of Sonic Foundry Sound Forge XP 5.0 Studio for $69.95 (maybe on sale) as software to edit music?

What I need is software that will:

1) Allow me to create CD-R's with songs from several different CD-R's.

2) Fade in and fade out between tracks.

3) Normalization so that all the tracks have about the same volume - no huge differences in sound level.

4) I would also prefer the ability to boost the bass a little, though that is not critical.

I am basicly stuck with purchasing at Best Buy due to a deal I have there. Here is a link to the products they have for sale. I think they have both Sound Foundry products in stock at the store I shop at. What do you recommend for the goals I have:

http://www.bestbuy.com/Software/genrePr ... &scat=1198
Cash
Buffer Underrun

Postby Cash on Wed Dec 31, 1969 10:36 pm

Well, I think I found the answers to my questions. There appear to be several music edit software products that are good, including Sound Forge XP. Sound Forge XP apparently does everything I need – edit, normalize, EQ – and has a great interface. The reviews have been positive.

-www.webdeveloper.com: It's just so intuitive that you might not use it for months at a time, but you won't have to worry about relearning it. Syntrillium's Cool Edit used to be that easy to use, but it's been changed into a high-end monstrosity with too many features and not enough interface. Even so, Sound Forge XP -- actually the "small version" of Sonic Foundry's own high-end Sound Forge audio program -- has plenty of features of its own, and it's an unmatchable value for around $50.

-PC Magazine: Its versatile digital audio tools make this a good option for business user who are getting started with digital audio.

-www.canadacomputes.com: Until lately, sound editing was something done only by professionals. But with Desktop Audio beginning to permeate the computing world, there'’s a real need for easy, inexpensive editing tools. Sound Forge XP 4.5, from Sonic Foundry Inc., is one of the best so far. This little powerhouse includes all the basics, plus a few unexpected extras. It lets you record audio from analog sources, cut and paste chunks out of audio files, fade in and fade out, normalize and apply a number of distortion effects. All in all, Sound Forge XP 4.5 is a very slick editor and an excellent deal for the money.
Cash
Buffer Underrun

Postby JANK on Wed Dec 31, 1969 10:40 pm

Well I am very happy with CoolEdit for all my music editing. Check out http://www.syntrillium.com/
JANK
Buffer Underrun

Return to General Software Questions