Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Verbatim 52x CDR - 'Taiwan' or 'EU Origin' Which is Better ?

Burn baby burn!

Verbatim 52x CDR - 'Taiwan' or 'EU Origin' Which is Better ?

Postby asdzxc on Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:58 pm

Hi all,

I am about to buy some Verbatim "DataLifePlus" 52x CDR's

Some Packs & Spindels say "Made in Taiwan" & some say "Goods of EU Origin"

Does anyone have any thoughts/experiences as to which is the Better Quality one ?? Taiwan or EU Origin ??

Regards
asdzxc
Buffer Underrun

Postby RJW on Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:04 am

According to MCC and Verbatim there may not be a difference in quality from there different factories.
In theory all MCC datalifeplus disc's should be of the same quality no matter if there made in a factory from CMC,MBIL or MCC themselves.

EU = Ireland and is factory is owned by CMC/MCC together if I am right
Taiwan = factory is owned by CMC.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Harrier on Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:14 am

Where i live we have three origins for Verbatim DataLifePlus 48X:
1. Made in Mexico (Older revision. Nice stuff though).
2. Made in India (Newer and also, excellent).
3. Goods of EU Origin (Newer and a so-and-so media).

I'll upload some frame captures of Kprobe later.
Harrier
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:02 am

You may want to have a look at this thread: verbatim cdr/rw vary in quality.

My personal experience is essentially "it doesn't matter much where they're made". You may get a some variation from batch to batch, though.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:43 am

MediumRare wrote:You may want to have a look at this thread: verbatim cdr/rw vary in quality.

My personal experience is essentially "it doesn't matter much where they're made". You may get a some variation from batch to batch, though.

G

Or even within the same spindle.... :o
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:32 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Or even within the same spindle.... :o

Well, yeah. I just mentioned that in another post, but I guess you read that. :wink:

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby RJW on Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:15 pm

Never buy verbatim spindles if you want specific media from specific factories or places. It won't be the first time that someone half way founds that the DVD's are carrying CMC mid codes and not MCC mid codes. For this reason only use Verbatim media in cases.
I'm not saying that verbatim CMC media is bad it's just less good supported as the disc's with the MID code from TY or MCC !
Since the CMC disc's are really not bad manufactured (which was a surprise) but there are quite bad supported. So far my Pioneer A06 can burn them fine but my friends Lite On 811S has problems with them. then again he really should update the firmware since the first version of the 811S firmware was quite bad. However some people are just quite to stupid to flash there drives ! :wink:
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:33 pm

RJW wrote:Never buy verbatim spindles if you want specific media from specific factories or places. It won't be the first time that someone half way founds that the DVD's are carrying CMC mid codes and not MCC mid codes. For this reason only use Verbatim media in cases.

I haven't found this to be the case with the Verbatim DLP CDRs. I have no experience with DVDs, though. :o

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Re: Verbatim 52x CDR - 'Taiwan' or 'EU Origin' Which is Bett

Postby Alejandra on Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:48 pm

asdzxc wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts/experiences as to which is the Better Quality one ?? Taiwan or EU Origin ??

Regards

Made in Mexico of course :D :D :D
Ciao,
macgirl.

Tired of hackintoshes and went with the real deal.
Alejandra
CD-RW Player

Postby Centrilium on Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:13 pm

To date the best MCmedia cdr available are the Crystal Black Sonic Azos and they are all made in Taiwan.This shows that the latest cdr manufacturing technologies are only available at MCMedia's Taiwan plant.
Centrilium
Buffer Underrun

Postby RJW on Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:36 pm

I wouldn't prefer crystal coating.
Since it's more sensitive for UV.
Normal white printables are not sensitive for UV but crystals are !
Still the black coating could solve this.

Most MCC media I spot these days is the 52x Super azo made inside MBIL factories.

And why would you rate these the best media ?
What error levels do you get on them ?
Since so far the best MCC azo disc's I have had were 16x Metalized AZO from taiwan. However the batch showed quite some variations in quality.

A lot of users have reported problems with black verbatim media(vinyl) coated then again they used a Lite On as a writer !
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Centrilium on Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:16 am

RJW wrote:I wouldn't prefer crystal coating.
Since it's more sensitive for UV.
Normal white printables are not sensitive for UV but crystals are !
Still the black coating could solve this.

Most MCC media I spot these days is the 52x Super azo made inside MBIL factories.

And why would you rate these the best media ?
What error levels do you get on them ?
Since so far the best MCC azo disc's I have had were 16x Metalized AZO from taiwan. However the batch showed quite some variations in quality.

A lot of users have reported problems with black verbatim media(vinyl) coated then again they used a Lite On as a writer !

The metal azo is one of the oldest Azo dye technology.Today it has already been superceeded by the Super Azo and the Sonic Azo dyes which looks more towards the cyanine family type.
Here is the link where you can find pictures of Mitsubishi's latest cdrs:
http://www.boomhardware.com/forum/viewt ... a0b60ac2e0
As you can see there are 2 variations of the MCMedia sonic Azo cdrs.The latter being the one added with crystal black element is the newest and both of them are made in Taiwan.It's totally different from the black Verbatims vinyl media you said.The read surface looks more like the Super Azo cdrs instead.I've used both TYs and MCMedia's Crystal blacks before and my opinion is that the MCMedia is better.If you have the chance you should get your hands on these cdrs to check it out yourself.But I noticed that the Mitsubishi Chemical cdrs are rare in America and Europe.They market them as Verbatim over there.
Centrilium
Buffer Underrun

Postby RJW on Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:49 am

I could contact some sources in Japan.
However the following thing makes me have huge doubts.
The metal azo is one of the oldest Azo dye technology.Today it has already been superceeded by the Super Azo and the Sonic Azo dyes which looks more towards the cyanine family type.

This wouldn't be smart. First MCC invents the AZO dye as a better sollution when compared to cyanine and pthalocyanine. AZO was invented to have the power calibration aspects of Cyanine and the durability of pthalocyanine. So going towards cyanine is a bad thing. Unless you mean the colour. Newer AZO media is lighter blue and looks more like TY cyanine dye. Still it's completely different technology.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Centrilium on Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:20 pm

RJW wrote:This wouldn't be smart. First MCC invents the AZO dye as a better sollution when compared to cyanine and pthalocyanine. AZO was invented to have the power calibration aspects of Cyanine and the durability of pthalocyanine. So going towards cyanine is a bad thing. Unless you mean the colour. Newer AZO media is lighter blue and looks more like TY cyanine dye. Still it's completely different technology.

I don't know if you've noticed this but somehow the metal azo(dark blue) Verbatims had problems with most Lite ON drives.It did went well with Yamaha drives though.The maximum speed that I could detect with them were only 32X with my LiteON LTR-42246S.About the disc dye,it depends for data archiving I would always prefer advance phythalocyanine but when it comes to audio or high reproduction of my media files a pure cyanine cdr works better for me even though it doesn't last long.
Centrilium
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:33 pm

In my experience, Verbatim DataLifePlus discs from Singapore are good too. Never had a problem with 'em.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby Harrier on Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:33 pm

The thing is.. How do you write on the Black CDrs..?
Harrier
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:51 pm

If there is any sort of silkscreen on the black discs, then you can write on that; it's probably white, silver, or gold. Otherwise, buy a white, silver, or gold Sharpie. :)
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives