Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Planning on buying a new CD-RW but don't know which one...

Burn baby burn!

Planning on buying a new CD-RW but don't know which one...

Postby edwardc84 on Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:34 am

Planning on buying a new CD-RW but don't know which one sounds good. The prices are all the same, and so are the specs. Think ya'll can help me out and gimme a couple of suggestions?
Should I get a
a) Mad Dog Multimedia
b) Utmost
c) Mediastor

Thankx
edwardc84
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:09 am

Are you planning on buying one of these brands because a rebate is involved? If so, double-check to make sure which company will be fulfilling the rebate(s). I've heard that Mad Dog are horrible at fulfilling rebates. If the rebate is through the retail store (like Best Buy, Staples, etc.) then I wouldn't worry as much. From personal experience, Best Buy, Staples, Circuit City, and OfficeMax are good at fulfilling rebates.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby edwardc84 on Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:37 am

Yea actually it is, but which brand is better tho?
edwardc84
Buffer Underrun

Postby CowboySlim on Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:47 pm

Hard to tell without looking at them to see who made them. Likely, all three were made by the same company, which is not LiteOn.

Post a picture of the front then the people here can identify them.

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby Jim on Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:22 pm

If you can wait for the Lite-On LTR-52327S to go on sale at Best Buy or Circuit City you can get it for $19.99 after rebates. They throw it on every four weeks or so.

NewEgg has it for $34.00 with free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... WSE&depa=1

Jim
Jim
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:17 am

As Slim & Jim (hahaha get it? SlimJim!) alluded to, you probably won't find a Lite-On drive in the Mad Dog, Mediastor, or Utmost box. There is a possibility a Lite-On drive will be in one of the aforementioned boxes, but these brands usually rebadge BenQ or BTC drives. Rebadging refers to anyone that takes an original manufacturer's product and sells it under the rebadger's name. BenQ, BTC, and Lite-On are all original manufacturers. Mad Dog, Mediastor, and Utmost are rebadgers (which has nothing to do with the animal).

Unless you are a hardcore burning fan, you can get by perfectly fine with a BenQ or BTC drive. The quality is fine for the average user. However, if you want to raise the bar, take a look at Lite-On, LG, Samsung, Teac, and Plextor drives.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby David on Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:29 am

No lite-on from MadDog they use artec drives the last time I checked they could have changed suppliers though.
David
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:52 am

Ah yes, Artec. That's another option, so is OptoRite. Again, these drives are fine, but I wouldn't rank them in the upper echelon of burners.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives