Home News Reviews Forums Shop

MP3 or Data....what's the difference?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

MP3 or Data....what's the difference?

Postby X-Nemesis on Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:28 am

I want to know what the difference is between making an mp3 disk using one or the other of these options. I've always made mp3 cd's using the data cd option so can anyone tell me why it's better to use the built in mp3 option in Nero 6?
X-Nemesis
CD-RW Thug

Postby NoSmartz on Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:36 am

Data(option)cd's are read as mp3 format on your pc(data).You can put a ton of mp3's on a data cd.Can't play on older home stereo's.New ones,YES.
Mp3's(option)reads as a music cd in your home or car stereo(I believe it burns in .cda format).

E
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:43 am

Dear X-Nemesis,
Hi.I use Roxio to create MP3 CD's.The difference between "data" MP3 CD and only a "MP3" CD is that,a playlist file is created in MP3 CD and in normal data CD only folders are created without creating the playlist file.You can change the order of songs that are to be played in the playlist file in MP3 CD before burning it,so that when the CD is created the songs are played in the order selected in the playlist.
MP3 CD's and "data" MP3 CD's can be played in new MP3 players.They cannot be played in normal CD players which are not rated as MP3 player.You will have to create a music CD in order to play in normal stereo CD player.
Hope this helps,
See ya guys later,

::Pranav::
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:07 pm

There is no difference.

An MP3 audio CD is a Data CD. And you can add a playlist using either option.

The reason we changed it is becuase your average user does not know that a Data CD and an MP3 audio CD is one and the same. To avoid this confusion and to help the first time users, we created an option for MP3 so a beginer who knows he wants to create an MP3 Audio CD does not need to know that a Data CD is the same as an MP3 Audio CD. They only need to know "I want to create an MP3 CD" and they see an option for this and can select it.

To take it one step further, when you select the option for creating an MP3 audio CD, we only allow MP3 and mp3PRO audio files to be added. ALong with playlist. We do not allow you to add data files.

You could of course go to the Data CD option, and select the MP3 files and Playlist and craete an MP3 Audio CD that way as well. But you could also add normal data files in this mode too.

Simply put, we did it to make it easier for the beginer, so they do not need to know that a Data CD is the same as an MP3 Audio CD.

PS. CDA format is for standard Audio CD's only.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby X-Nemesis on Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:01 pm

Thanks for all the good replies.

:lol:
X-Nemesis
CD-RW Thug

Postby pranav81 on Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:07 am

Hi all,
I was just saying that when you select MP3 CD project in EZCD,it AUTOMATICALLY creates one playlist file for you,you need not add one.
Thanks Craig for the info.You are correct when you say that new users like clean and simple interface.
See ya guys later,

::Pranav::
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)