Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Post break-in oil change on new 04 BMW 325xi 2000 mi Y/N?

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

When to change oil

As per manufacturer recommendations (approx. every 15,000 miles)
67%
Twice as often as mfr recommendations (every 7,500 miles)
33%

Total votes : 3

Post break-in oil change on new 04 BMW 325xi 2000 mi Y/N?

Postby Feu on Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:00 pm

I have a 2004 BMW 325xi (manual transmission, not that that matters)
with ~ 2,000 miles on it.
It uses full synthetic motor oil (5W30 viscosity I believe).

I read on the car newsgroups (via google) that some people
like to do an unscheduled oil change after 1,000 or 1,500 miles (post break-in). Others said they just go by the computer (scheduled) maintenace, which is free, but less frequent...

I wanted to hear your opinions:

1) Would you do an oil change at 2,000 miles (post break-in)?
The charge is $72 including synthetic oil (about $5 a quart in stores
and an oil filter (OEM goes for about $12 online) and labor.
Money is not a big concern, since I want my car to last.
HOWEVER, if it won't really make a difference and is overkill, then I would rather save the $72.

The appointment coordinator himself actually said it wasn't recommended by BMW in the sense that it was unnecessary.
I tentatively scheduled it for late next week, but can always cancel.

2) Would you do remaining oil changes when the computer recommends it (free scheduled maint) about every 15,000 miles, or every 7,500 miles (paying for every other one) as some people like to do.

NOTES:
1) I do mostly CITY driving.

2) The BMW schedule is about every 15,000 miles, although the computer will adjust the amount downward if a lot of stop and go (city) driving is done (mine is now saying to do one at 13,245 miles or so).
The next change (at 13,245 mi) would be free, since all scheduled maintenance is included for 4 yrs/48,000 miles.

Thanks!!!
Last edited by Feu on Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feu
Buffer Underrun

Postby NoSmartz on Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:11 pm

Change the oil at it's regular schedule.Listen to the manufacturer,especially BMW.They know there stuff.Recommend #2.

E
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby Feu on Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:19 pm

Thanks NoSmartz.

Maybe I should add a poll to this...
Feu
Buffer Underrun

Postby NoSmartz on Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:39 pm

Feu,
there's one thing you have to remember,synthetic oil was made to last much longer than conventional oil.Find somewhere online and see how long a tractor trailer goes before he changes his oil.It varies between 50,000 to 100,000 miles.Unbelievable ehh?I do see though how you would consider doing it earlier though being that it's a new Beamer and all but don't worry about the length of time,synthetic is made for it.

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:53 pm

I will not contradict myself. I did said that NoSmartz had plenty smarts, I didn't say that he had every smartz.

I change oil at twice the frequency recommended with $4/qt full synthetic from Pep Boys, or other and with a K&N filter ($10), which may not be available for BMWs. It's no big deal, for me. I have Jeep Grand Cherokees and a $20 creeper - easier than installing a new hard drive with a fresh load of Windows. :-?

Now, I've wondered about the BMW commercials claiming maintenance and service included but never looked into it. They expand the service interval out the ragged edge but if you want a traditional interval you have pay extra.

Cancel with the dealer and take it to any corner "quick lube", you'll save a bundle. Check with them first to ensure that they have the synthetic oil and a filter. If they don't have the correct filter and can't get one, ask them if it is OK to bring one from Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Kragen or buy online. If they don't have the synthetic oil, find another quick lube.

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby Feu on Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:21 pm

Thanks guys.

NoSmartz,
I read an article (although it was on a site for AMOil (sp?) synthetic)
of some trucker (maybe same article) who went over 100,000 miles without changine oil (the filter was changed more frequently however I believe).

CowboySlim,

Thanks!
Regarding going to a service station: I assume that it will be at least $40 still (I know the difference between that and the BMW price is the price of a conventional oil change), but for peace of mind I wanted to go to BMW at least for the first oil change.
Then I will shop around locally for future (every 7,500 mile) oil changes.
In that case (doing it every 7,500 miles), every other one will be done for free by BMW.
Feu
Buffer Underrun

Postby NoSmartz on Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:05 pm

Feu,
Your correct about the oil filter.The Tractor Trailer notion gives you an idea about how long is too long to go without one.My dad had a Chevy Luv truck and would go 10,000 until the next change.He used Mobil 1,THE BEST.Synthetic is nice to have but an expense to have also.I still wouldn't worry about the 7,500 mile frequency though.They've had the synthetic thing figured out for quite a while now.I do agree with CowboySlim about the Quick Lube over the local BMW dealership though,much cheaper and just to be safe,make sure they put the drain plug back in!!!!!!!
CowboySlim,
You have a creeper?Man you must be rich 'cause all I have is a used Cardboard Box!!!!! :D I've never let anyone change my oil.It saves me $$$$ to do it myself.Ofcourse I use 6 quartz instead of 4 or 5 but I figure I'd get taken to the cleaners if I asked quick lube to do it with 6 quarts.Costs me about $17.00 to do it myself.My old truck gets it every 3,000 and I can feel the difference.

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:50 pm

Hey, NoSmartz, I was using the cardboard box method - a water heater box. Problem was, the homeless were becoming non-homeless by stealing them faster than my water heaters were spring leaks. :P

Had to get a creeper. But one can't use a creeper on BMW, too low, have to use a box, no matter how SLIM you are. That's why I have Jeeps.

And yeah, you gotta' watch 'em at a quick lube type place with a non-domestic. Bring your own box end. They probably won't have the right metric and use a vise grip and chew up the hex on the plug. :cry:

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby Action Jackson on Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:36 pm

Another question is "What is your Driving Style?"
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:02 pm

CowboySlim,
Hey, NoSmartz, I was using the cardboard box method - a water heater box. Problem was, the homeless were becoming non-homeless by stealing them faster than my water heaters were spring leaks.

I know what ya mean.I'm reduced to using an old Allied van Lines Mega Box.Can't find those water heater or fridge boxes.They're like gold.
Those Beamers are kinda low.Might have to physically Dvd Shrink yourself to fit under there. :D Way correct on the wrench notion to.They use to doin' Chevy's and Ford's.Bring in a BMW and they might say,"That's a foreign jobby ain't it?"
Action Jackson brings up a good ?Regular driving 15,000 is fine.Horsin' it might want to go half that.

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:54 pm

Slightly OT, Consumer Reports did an in depth study on how frequently you should change your oil. They found that most cars there is no difference if you change your oil every 3,000 miles or 7,500 miles. The engineers could not find any difference between engines that had the different intervals.
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby ruderacer on Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:06 pm

Consider this: A study was done on oils used on motorcycles and the following was concluded by a Phd in Physics from one of the universities in California. They tested different oils for bikes and cars (including Mobil One) that at or around 700 miles the oil, no matter the brand, the viscosity of the oil begins to break down. So, changing the oil at intervals of 3000 miles is about right. If you do a lot of city driving you might consider changing it sooner especially if where you are is very dusty. As far as using synthetic oil prior to break-in the engine can cause blow-by. Using conventional oil for the first 5000 miles allows the rings to properly seat in. Remember that the oil is what lubricates the internals and the fresher the oil the less problems in the future (gunk built-up). I have 2003 Suzuki and they also recommend change intervals of 7500 miles. I have about 7000 miles on it now and have the oil twice. Also, you might want to consider to use the same brand always. When getting an oil change at some of these oil places and icluding the dealer, remember they buy oil by bulk ( not a good thing). It is better to buy individual quarts cause you don't get the contamination like in the huge tanks they store their bulk oil. I hope this helps and good luck.
ruderacer
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:51 pm

I'm used to doing "earlier than normal" oil changes when it comes to breaking in. Used to do that back in the day when the idea was to "take it easy" while the enginesinternals were new so that the rough edges (cam surfaces, piston edges/sleeves, etc.) would ground down and set in nicely. With that said, there would be more crap (grounds/sediment) in the oil than usual from the break in phase hence the need for a quicker oil change. Nowadays, I'm sure it's a LOT different. Didja call the dealer for their recommendation?
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby jase on Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:31 pm

I must admit, I consider brakes, oil, battery and tyres to be the most important items in any car. I over-service as a matter of course; no matter what type or age of car I drive I always change the oil double as often as is recommended and always the highest quality oil. Mind you I do this myself. Overservicing never hurt any car.

As an example, Volkswagen now have a suggested interval of THIRTY THOUSAND MILES between services on their latest diesel-engined cars. I think anyone who cares about their vehicle would be absolutely mad to neglect their car that long.
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:33 pm

Heya jase...

What do you drive there in Co Durham, UK? Just curious.
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby jase on Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:40 pm

<ahem> :oops:

A Hyundai Accent.

Now don't laugh. I've just done 16000 miles in this car without a single thing going wrong with it (well OK a button on the clock got a bit stiff and they replaced it under warranty). I have the oil changed religiously every 5000 miles (the book says 10K).

I've also got a Nissan and my bro has a Peugeot a couple of doors down. The Pug is a pile of crap -- looks like it hasn't been serviced properly at all.

I've done over 55000 miles in the Nissan, again with only a weak battery in that time. The car is now 9 and a half years old with its original exhaust so I must be doing something right lol

Yes I know I'm probably going a bit far overservicing a Korean car but it's an old habit which works for me :D
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:04 pm

Well, the way I see it, a vehicle is usually a nice chunk of change...anything to get your moneys worth out of what you put into it works for me.
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:37 am

You tell 'em, Jase. I'm with you. We're almost brothers, after all.

Slim
Whose paternal grandfather came from the lands north of Hadrian's Wall.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:04 am

CowboySlim wrote:Slim
Whose paternal grandfather came from the lands north of Hadrian's Wall.

nice. :)
i wonder how many will catch onto that one.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby jase on Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:04 am

North of Hadrian's Wall?

Would that be North Northumberland then? :wink:

(In case peeps don't know what I mean; the Sassenachs moved the Scots border north after Hadrian's Wall....)

Aye, with a surname like James, some of my ancestors were Scottish as well, via Northern Ireland :)
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:28 pm

Yes, dode,

I made it a little obtuse just to see what it would bring out.

Stu
Who does have a surname and it, too, is indicative of his heritage.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:05 pm

LOL, with a first name like that, one doesn't really need a surname indicative of one's heritage. the first name is enough!
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby jase on Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:01 pm

The car is now 9 and a half years old with its original exhaust so I must be doing something right lol

Why do I have to go and say stupid things like that eh? When I started this car just now there was a strange noise, sounded like the front pipe or exhaust manifold is finally starting to perish. Always happens like that doesn't it :oops: :lol:
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby redk9258 on Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:42 am

OK for the guy with the BMW, here's what I can say about oil changes. I don't have a BMW and I have never used synthetic oil. I have owned Volkswagen's, both air and water cooled. I have owned Chevys, both 4 and 6 cyl. I have always changed my oil and filter every 3,000 miles. I use Pennzoil and whatever brand filter the factory or dealer uses (AC Delco for Chevy and IIRC, VW used to sell Mann which were made in Germany).

I have a 1990 Cavalier 2.2L 4-cyl. in my driveway with 303,500 miles on it. I have never done anything to the engine other than normal maintainence including those 3,000 mile oil changes. It is starting to get tired now, but still runs OK.

If I had a BMW that came from the factory with synthetic oil, I would find out what brand it is and stick to it. I would only buy oil filters that are the same as what BMW sells (NO AutoZone crap!). I would not trust the grease monkeys at the Quickie Oil change place down the street, they will just try to sell you shit you don't need like wiper blades and air filters for a price more than BMW would charge and strip out your drain plug. Do the oil change yourself. It only takes 20 minutes and you know it is done right with properly fitting tools. I would probably go 7,500 miles on synthetic oil. The main thing about oil, is to have the proper amount in the crankcase! If the oil looks clean and clear when you change it, I would be tempted to go 15,000 miles between changes.

Good luck.
redk9258
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden