Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Is Nero a good program?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Is Nero a good program?

Postby Mr. Birger on Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:06 pm

Now I have a question, a question about the "Mighty Nero".

I think that I bought my first CD burner around 1996 and at that time I used the program that came with the burner and then went over to use the programs WinOnCD and CloneCD. I never used Nero because I didn't like the layout of that program but now since I bought a DVD burner I've started to use it, mostly because I love DVD Shrink 3.1.x

And since I have used Nero for a while now and found some problems with it, I have a question to you, my "Nero Gurus".

How crappy/filled with bugs or good do you think Nero 6.3.0.2 is?

And if you think it's a bad program, what is the latest version of Nero that is relatively bug free?
Mr. Birger
Buffer Underrun

Postby UALOneKPlus on Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Nero is my favorite burning program.

I don't burn CD-RW's, however. That's where Nero is a bit weak compared to Roxio's DirectCD. I don't believe in CD-RW's in general, since they are not too reliable.

I have sampled Nero 6.3.0.2, but don't use it on a daily basis. I use Nero 5.5.10.35 currently, and it works very well.
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:59 pm

UALOneKPlus wrote:I don't burn CD-RW's, however. That's where Nero is a bit weak compared to Roxio's DirectCD. I don't believe in CD-RW's in general, since they are not too reliable.

what you meant was, you don't packet-write.
"regular" burning (CD authoring) on CD-RWs is the same as on CD-Rs.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby UALOneKPlus on Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:08 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
UALOneKPlus wrote:I don't burn CD-RW's, however. That's where Nero is a bit weak compared to Roxio's DirectCD. I don't believe in CD-RW's in general, since they are not too reliable.

what you meant was, you don't packet-write.
"regular" burning (CD authoring) on CD-RWs is the same as on CD-Rs.

Yup, you're absolutely write (pun intended :D )

Actually, I have no use for CD-RW's at all. I don't believe in the reliability of the media. I only burn CD-R's, especially since they're so cheap.
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:11 pm

i only mentioned it because you "compared" Nero to DirectCD.

this is inaccurate, the correct comparison should be InCD with DirectCD. and i'm sure many (including die-hard Nero fans) would agree with you that in this case Ahead come out less favorably.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Mr. Birger on Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:19 pm

UALOneKPlus You wrote that you have sampled Nero 6.3.0.2 but you used 5.5.10.35 now so my question now is if your choice to use 5.5.10.35 instead of 6.3.0.2 is because the newer version has flaws in it or something else?
Mr. Birger
Buffer Underrun

Postby CowboySlim on Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:55 pm

Both versions have worked just fine for me. :wink:

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:01 pm

Mr. Birger wrote:UALOneKPlus You wrote that you have sampled Nero 6.3.0.2 but you used 5.5.10.35 now so my question now is if your choice to use 5.5.10.35 instead of 6.3.0.2 is because the newer version has flaws in it or something else?

Well, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with Nero 6.3.0.2. I have Nero 5.5.10.35 installed on the PC with the DVD burner, and I wanted to wait a little while before I removed it and installed 6.3.0.2.

I sampled 6.3.0.2 on an older PC so I could see what the difference was like, and then I formatted that PC since I was upgrading it anyway. So that's why I'm still using Nero 5.5.10.35.

I guess I'm a bit cautious still. I didn't want to have to install Nero 6.3.0.2 on the intended PC with the DVD burner, since I still read about a few bugs here and there. I'll probably upgrade to version 6 in a few weeks, since I haven't heard too many negative things.
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:32 am

Both versions work great for me.

E
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby Mr. Birger on Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:42 pm

Hmm, it seems that you are all happy with Nero 6.3.0.2 and don't find anything to complain about as I have, strange.

If you only use Nero to burn CD-R and CD-RW discs then Nero could be perfect, I don't have anything to say about that part of Nero since I don't use Nero for my CD-R/RW burning, I only use it for my DVD±R/RW discs.

So, if there is someone out there (like me) who uses Nero 6.3.0.2 to burn mostly to DVD±R/RW discs, hasn't ANYONE of you noticed ANY bugs/strange behaviour in Nero?

And of course, if you use Nero 6.3.0.2 and have no problems whatsoever when you burn/erase your DVD±R/RW discs I want to know that as well.
Mr. Birger
Buffer Underrun

Postby NoSmartz on Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:46 pm

use that version for DVD±R and have no probs.Use it for cd's also,no probs.CloneCd has been quirky lately.

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby Mr. Birger on Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:47 pm

Hello NoSmartz

You wrote that CloneCD had been quirky for you lately and that made me wonder what you have had for sorts of errors with CloneCD, so I know if they are gonna bug me in the future too.
Mr. Birger
Buffer Underrun

Postby NoSmartz on Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:11 pm

Well about 2 months ago I rip't a cd with CloneCd and it was fine.A few days later I tried another and all of a sudden the buffer graph that shows when both buffers are full stayed that way for about 30 seconds then they would dump leaving the buffer empty and a cd that usually burned at 16x took 4 minutes now takes 10 to 12 minutes.I have no clue why.Even tried an uninstall,no change.Started to use NeroBurnin' Rom and it worked fine so I'll stick with it till I figure out CloneCd's prob.I like CloneCd's simplicity.Must be that time of the month!!!

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby TCAS on Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:28 am

Mr. Birger wrote:

"So, if there is someone out there (like me) who uses Nero 6.3.0.2 to burn mostly to DVD±R/RW discs, hasn't ANYONE of you noticed ANY bugs/strange behaviour in Nero?

And of course, if you use Nero 6.3.0.2 and have no problems whatsoever when you burn/erase your DVD±R/RW discs I want to know that as well."

Could please let us know what sort of the problem you have experienced using Nero version 6.3.0.2 for the purpose of burning DVD+/_R. If you already have notice any bugs or problem the best thing is to inform the furom and then ask if any body else experiencing those similar problems or different type one. Thanks for sharing your thought with us.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby Mr. Birger on Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:13 am

TCAS, The biggest problem that I have with Nero 6.x.x.x is that it will not do a full erase on my DVD+RW discs without behaving like a "Mr. Stupido"

I have tried to do full erases on both a Verbatim 2.4X DVD+RW disc (made by Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation) and a MMore 2.4X DVD+RW disc (made by Sentinel Technologies) and when Nero starts to erase my disc it says it gonna take about 28 minutes to do it, but when it comes to 27 minutes and says it's less then one minute left before it's finished it stays there for a very long time.

I've tried to erase the same discs a couple of times to so I could check if the problem would go away but it didn't. Nero 6.x.x.x behaved the same way every time.

These are the times it took/take before Nero ejected/ejects my discs from my LG GSA-4040B DVD burner.
Verbatim 2.4X DVD+RW = 115 Minutes
MMore 2.4X DVD+RW = 55 Minutes

When I do full erases with DVDInfoPro 2.21 everything works great because it erases the discs in only 25 minutes.

Another thing I HATE with Nero is that when you move the menus and move everything to where you want it so everything looks beautiful on the screen Nero ignores that the next time you start Nero.
"Mr. Nero Stupido" have when you start it next time moved everything to how it looked BEFORE you started to move the menus as you wanted to have it.

I have tried with "Automatically Resize Windows" both enabled and disabled to see if Nero understands what I want but it never does.

BTW, I have tried 3 Firmwares (A300, A301 and A302) and Nero behaves the same with everyone of them.
Mr. Birger
Buffer Underrun

Postby pranav81 on Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:51 pm

Hi all,
I have dowloaded 6.3.0.2 and I think Ahead has ironed out some bugs that troubled me as it now works with my system......I guess I will now switch to Nero 6 when I have accumulated enough money for an upgrade.But,other way I think that if 5.5.10.54 does suffice my needs then what is the need to upgrade now?I will stick with 5.5 for the moment..

See ya guys later...

::Pranav::
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby TCAS on Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:35 am

Mr. Birger; Thank you for sharing these indept experiences with us, as for the erasing time and problems associated with it, I will try to dublicate your difficulties and will report later. On the rearranging Nero display windows I personally have no experience with, I might even try that one also.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby Mr. Birger on Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:55 pm

Hello TCAS

For a couple of days ago you wrote that you were going to check how Nero 6.3.0.2 behaved when you did a full erase of a DVD disc but I have not seen anything from you yet so I thought that I was gonna send you a reminder of that, if you maybe has forgotten about it.

Anyway, here comes a reminder to you that I want to know how Nero 6.3.0.2 behaves for you when you do a full erase of a DVD disc in that program.
Mr. Birger
Buffer Underrun

Postby TCAS on Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:08 am

Hi Mr. Birger;

The reason I haven't got back to you before I didn't have any DVD disk to earase, but since you remainded me of my obligation I just went ahead and earased one of my precious backed-up disk. The DVD disk was 4.4 Gb of data earased it with earase function of Nero CD/DVD Speed which took 14.4 minutes for full earased.

Obviously earasing full DVD disk should take no more time than writing it which in this case both will take around 14 minutes each.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby Mr. Birger on Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:13 pm

Many thanks to you TCAS for the time you took to check how Nero behaves on your computer when you erase a DVD discs.

I wonder where the problem is, since it seems that I'm the only one with this error?

Hmm, think that I'm gonna download Nero 6.3.0.3 to see if that version of Nero behaves any better on my computer.

Btw, did you erase the disc in Nero CD-DVD Speed (CDSpeed.exe) and not in the Nero program itself?
Mr. Birger
Buffer Underrun

Postby TCAS on Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:11 am

Yes first I did erase the disk with CD/DVDSpeed.exe which took 14.4 minutes, then after I put that result on the forum, I thought out of curiosity I should go ahead and experiment with Nero Program itself. First I burnt the disk with 4.4 GB of the same data as before and then started erasing it with erase function in Nero Burning Rom Program, this time took 17.32 minutes to erased the whole DVD disk. Needless to say in both experiements I did full erased.

Also Thanks to you who start the discussion of this very serious issue and your willingness to share your experience with all of us.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:55 pm

I've created a bug report on this issue to have it looked into and resolved in a future release.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby Mr. Birger on Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:36 pm

That's good CCampbell - Thank you for doing it for me, I would never have done it myself because I'm a bit lazy on reporting bugs to different companies.

Btw, Nero 6.3.0.3 behaves the same as Nero 6.3.0.2 do.
Mr. Birger
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:23 pm

Mr. Birger wrote:That's good CCampbell - Thank you for doing it for me, I would never have done it myself because I'm a bit lazy on reporting bugs to different companies.

Btw, Nero 6.3.0.3 behaves the same as Nero 6.3.0.2 do.

I have reported this issue, and have an Engineer looking into this. He is requesting that we provide him with a Nero Log file or NeroHistory.log file so he can look into this and have some data to work with. If it's not too much trouble, could Mr. Birger and TCAS send me log files from their systems? And anyone else experiencing incorrectly reported burn times or erase times?

This would help us greatly!

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby Mr. Birger on Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:03 am

Hello CCampbell, you wanted to have a Nero Log file or the NeroHistory.log file but I don't know where they are so if you could tell me where I can find them I would be happy.
Mr. Birger
Buffer Underrun

Next

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)