Home News Reviews Forums Shop

A cdr / dvd-rom drive that handles copy-protections well

Burn baby burn!

A cdr / dvd-rom drive that handles copy-protections well

Postby Halc on Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:12 pm

I need a cd-rom / dvd-rom drive that can handle different game copy protections well.

NOTE!

I don't want to copy these games. I don't want to circumvent the protections.

I want a drive that doesn't take 30 seconds to "initialize" a SafeDisc v2 original disc, doesn't become blind to the disc when it is in the drive and reads those pesky protected discs fast.

I'm currently gaming BF1942 and the original disc checking is a major pain in the behind.

My LiteOn 52327S is crunching, screeching, halting and spinning up and down like mad.

It doesn't sound like the drive really likes SafeDisc protected discs or that reading those discs is good for the drive.

So, can anybody recommend a silent, reliable and cheap drive that just reads copy protected games well.

It doesn't have to do ANYTHING else. I already have cd-burners, test drives, dvd-roms, dvd-burners, etc in my rig.

But none of the drives I have really like copy protections nor do I like hearing my expensive test drives beg for mercy when I insert a copy protected disc.

So, I neeed a simple drive that just functions as my main cd-rom drive for games.

Anyone?
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:19 pm

That's another reason why I like LG drives, at least the old-school ones. Although, I haven't tried BF1942 with my LG drives yet. I'm surprised the Lite-On drive burped a bit with the disc, usually Lite-On drives have zero problems with copy-protected discs.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:01 pm

I know what you mean quite some old writers of LG,Plextor and Teac do hardly make any noise when it comes to reading safedisc media.

Well the Lite On 52327S does read these protections however from the sounds you get the feeling that it isn't going to last long when reading safedisc protections. Now the 52327S allready is noisy when it is in use. That's why I use the plextor 241040A these days. It makes hardly any noise when reading the newest versions of safedisc . On the old ones I can't even hear it. Only problem is that the 241040A isn't sold these days.
Most new drives are quite bad when it comes to noise when reading at high speed or with the safedisc protections.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Halc on Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:29 am

Thanks for the comments. I have a couple of extra SCSI Plextors here, so maybe I'll try using one of those. That didn't even cross my mind first, funny :)
Halc
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives