Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Which upgrade from Windows 98 ?

Anything else

Postby NuGuy on Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:32 am

I haven't gotten around to the download yet, but you can find a download link here, as well as read opinions about it at:

http://www.download.com

(can't give you the entire link offhand... an easy 'search')

It is Freeware, and is described as an image viewer and converter

Looks pretty niffty to me.
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:41 pm

eliminator wrote:link bad??? :(

works for me!

it's a very good program, i think. and it's freeware, unlike ACDSee (which isn't AFAIK). anyway ACDSee (last time i tried) had lot's of "buy me" popups, terribly annoying.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby eliminator on Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:50 pm

ok 8)
eliminator
CD-RW Player

Postby Action Jackson on Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:30 pm

Thankfully my older version of ACDSee 5.0 doesn't have those annoying popups.

It is a retail copy though.
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:01 am

Action Jackson wrote:Thankfully my older version of ACDSee 5.0 doesn't have those annoying popups.

It is a retail copy though.

that's why it doesn't have them! :x
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby pranav81 on Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:08 am

Hey Action Jackson,why will a retail software show pop ups?Only shareware and adware software will show them.

::Pranav::
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby Action Jackson on Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:54 am

pranav81 wrote:Hey Action Jackson,why will a retail software show pop ups?Only shareware and adware software will show them.

::Pranav::

DOH! :oops:
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

I'm back...

Postby NuGuy on Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:51 am

Well, I'm just not going to get a new computer system now (maybe next year).

I just bought (off ebay) a Lexar 512 MB CF memory card and a Lexar USB 2.0 card reader.

I've read and re-read all the advice given to me here regarding the OS upgrade, and it seems split between Win98 SE and Win2000. BTW, only once did I read (so I thought) that Win98 SE supported USB 2.0, so I tried to find a list of features but could not find any statement that 2.0 was supported in 98SE, including on Microsoft's web site.... I think it is, but can someone absolutely confirm that?

I'm not a power user, and just want the most stable OS that supports USB 2.0. Is it Win98SE or Win2000?

OK, I'm starting to be a pain in the butt, but further responses are appreciated. (I'm the kind of guy who checks, re-checks and verifies... Can't be too careful, you know. I've often screwed up the most simple and obvious of things.)
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Postby burninfool on Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:38 pm

"I'm not a power user, and just want the most stable OS that supports USB 2.0. Is it Win98SE or Win2000? "

Neither officially supports USB2.0,only XP supports it onboard.You must buy a USB2.0 PCI card and it will come with drivers.If you must use USB2.0 then buy XP,otherwise buy 2000.
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby NuGuy on Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:10 pm

Thanks, burnin
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Postby Action Jackson on Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:12 pm

What Burningfool said.

I've yet to encounter any problems with any of my IOGear USB 2.0 pci cards under Win98SE.
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby NuGuy on Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:50 pm

Thanks, AJ

I'll probably just get an IO card and Win2000, but yesterday I went to Dell's Outlet page and checked out some refurbished systems (I bought my PII 400 refurb from their Austin, TX refub store before it closed down; I've been really happy with it performing well). Everything 3 GHz or so & higher roughly costs at least $1500 US, with 1GB of memory. (I figure that if I would buy something new, and expect it to last a few(?) years, that that would be a good choice....)

I started to "assemble" a system from the recommeded (on this thread) hardware site, but selecting the motherboard wasn't as easy a I thought it would be -- feedback from (potential & actual) buyers of Maximum PC magazine's recommended MB found it buggy and often selected an alternative. I haven't studied hardware in years....

It's a lot of money, and I read that Intel is working on a new CPU that may come out soon (??). I keep telling myself that it's futile to "wait just a little longer for that something better to come to market"-trap, but I think I'm getting sucked into it anyway, just like quicksand. :-?
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Postby Action Jackson on Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:52 pm

Intel and AMD are always making new CPU's. The rate they're going is astonishing.

When you research for new hardware, it's tough to make a call WHEN you should buy b/c something newer [and mostly better] is just around the corner.
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Previous

Return to General Software Questions