Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Question about updating firmware on LG drives

Burn baby burn!

Question about updating firmware on LG drives

Postby 7-endless on Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:46 am

Planning to update the firmware on a friend's 8481B and just had a couple questions regarding the firmware update process as I've never done this before with an LG drive. In the instructions, it says to make sure that the drive is set as the master on the secondary IDE channel alone. Is this really necessary?? Also, what if you have another IDE controller (ie. Promise controller) installed in the system and have the LG drive connected to it...do you have to disconnect it and connect it instead as the master on the secondary ide channel on the mobo or can you just connect it as the master on the secondary channel of the controller?
7-endless
Buffer Underrun

Postby GuJack20 on Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:14 am

I have a 8481B and i have upgraded it to Firmware 1.03. Than i flashed it with the firmware of a 8520 and now i have the possibility to write at 52X.
It is connected as Secondary Slave and i got no problems upgrading or flashing it. I don't know what to say for an extra IDE controller but to be sure connect it to the Mobo and after flashing reconnect at the extra IDE. :)
GuJack20
Buffer Underrun

Postby 7-endless on Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:00 am

GuJack20 wrote:I have a 8481B and i have upgraded it to Firmware 1.03. Than i flashed it with the firmware of a 8520 and now i have the possibility to write at 52X.
It is connected as Secondary Slave and i got no problems upgrading or flashing it. I don't know what to say for an extra IDE controller but to be sure connect it to the Mobo and after flashing reconnect at the extra IDE. :)

Thanks for the tip...I think I'll just play it safe as you suggested and attach it to the Secondary channel to flash it and then put it back on the pci controller afterwards...
7-endless
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:30 am

Just as a heads up, you should know that it isn't uncommon for people to have trouble running optical drives on add-on PCI IDE controller cards. The general recommendation for best compatibility is to put your optical drives on the motherboard's integrated IDE channels, and, if you need the room, put your hard drive(s) on the high-speed add-on cards. I'm not saying you will have trouble with your optical drive on the add-on card, but if you do run into problems you should think about moving it to the motherboard's controller.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby 7-endless on Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:41 am

cfitz wrote:Just as a heads up, you should know that it isn't uncommon for people to have trouble running optical drives on add-on PCI IDE controller cards. The general recommendation for best compatibility is to put your optical drives on the motherboard's integrated IDE channels, and, if you need the room, put your hard drive(s) on the high-speed add-on cards. I'm not saying you will have trouble with your optical drive on the add-on card, but if you do run into problems you should think about moving it to the motherboard's controller.

cfitz

Yup...that's the way I normally have it, but my friend has an older mobo and the built in controller is kinda flaky...so he prefers to run his LG on the Promise...
7-endless
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives