Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Smart & Friendly/Sanyo CRD-RW2 Repair

Burn baby burn!

Smart & Friendly/Sanyo CRD-RW2 Repair

Postby bunyan69 on Wed Dec 18, 2002 12:06 pm

I have an S&F scsi CDRW and I was wondering if anyone knows of a place in Canada (preferably in the London Ontario area) that would do repairs on this unit. I was doing a firmware flash on it and the power failed. Now it won'teven power up.

Thanks
bunyan69
Buffer Underrun

Postby blakerwry on Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:19 pm

hmm... sounds like you just need a firmware flasher(assuming that it will work on the size of chip in the CD drive) or another firmware chip for the drive(could easily be grabbed out of a non-working model of the same manufacture period)... I would think that if nothing needed to be soldered you would be OK going to almost any tech shop.

But I don't know if the cost would be worth it.

and since there is no warrantee on S&F products anymore (that I know of) you're almost better off doing the work yourself if you have any experience with electronics.
blakerwry
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:34 pm

I believe I still have one of those drives that I killed when the power plug got reversed :( If I still do I'd be happy to ship it your way for just the shipping charges if your interested.
Mines a Cendyne but they're the same drive, Sanyo was useless when I tried to get parts to fix it from them, so was Cendyne.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives