Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Sony Announces New Sub $200 BD-ROM Drive

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

Sony Announces New Sub $200 BD-ROM Drive

Postby Ian on Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:12 am

SONY DEBUTS SUB $200 BD-ROM DRIVE FOR BLU-RAY MOVIE PLAYBACK ON THE PC

LAS VEGAS (CES Booth #14200), Jan. 6, 2008 – Sony Electronics today announced an internal BD-ROM drive that can upgrade an existing desktop computer into a high-definition Blu-ray Disc™ player, as well as a DVD and a CD player.

The new BDU-X10S BD-ROM drive comes with CyberLink’s PowerDVD BD Edition software for playback of commercial movie titles, recorded Blu-ray Disc home videos, DVD-ROMs and CD-ROMs.

“The BD-ROM drive’s sub-$200 price tag offers consumers a very viable option to discover and enjoy the nearly 500 high-definition Blu-ray Disc movies released to date,” said Bob DeMoulin, marketing manager for branded storage products in Sony Electronics’ IT Products Division.

“PC-based DVD-ROM drives helped accelerate mass DVD adoption, primarily because they were the least costly way to experience the technology,” said Wolfgang Schlichting, research director, removable storage at IDC. “Similarly, we expect sub-$200 PC-based BD-ROM drives to be a driver for cost-conscious consumers to experience Blu-ray Disc high-definition video technology.”

The BDU-X10S drive features a Serial ATA (SATA) interface and standard 5.25-inch form-factor for easy installation inside contemporary desktop PCs running the Microsoft® Windows Vista™ or Windows XP operating system.

The included CyberLink PowerDVD BD Edition software also supports playback of recorded Blu-ray Discs in MPEG-2 or H.264 format, standard DVD-Video discs or recorded DVDs encoded with MPEG-2 or AVCHD formats.

For high-definition viewing, an HD computer display connected to the PC with an HDMI™ cable is required.

The new BD-ROM drive will start shipping this month. Pre-orders are now being accepted at sonystyle.com.
Attachments
Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM Drive 2a.jpg
Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM Drive 2a.jpg (57.1 KiB) Viewed 2639 times
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby aviationwiz on Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:03 am

Actually, it's not sub-$200, at least according to Engadget. "...with a MSRP of $200 -- curiously not 199.99."

Just thought I'd point that out, :P
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby Ian on Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:51 am

Sony hasn't stated its MSRP. They do have it listed for $199.99 on Sonystyle.com though.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Dartman on Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:09 pm

If I was going for a hd drive for my box I'd get the LG, can be had for 225 on sale and does both, supposedly very well. BUT thats starting to get there, seeing how they might win the battle...
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:45 pm

Isn't the Sony a rebadged Lite-On DH-4O1S?
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby JadedRaverLA on Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:57 pm

Ian wrote:Isn't the Sony a rebadged Lite-On DH-4O1S?

I've been wondering this, too.

I would have assumed so, except that Sony has been advertising their drive as a 2x reader while the Lite-on drive achieves 4.8x reading. So, it seems likely it's a different design.
JadedRaverLA
Buffer Underrun

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives