Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Static electricity and CD-R

Burn baby burn!

Static electricity and CD-R

Postby iowa jazz on Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:29 pm

The subject pretty much summarizes the question. Does static electricity pose a risk to data on a CD-R? Can static cause temporary or permanent damage? Do precautions need to be taken to discharge static electricity before handling CDRs?

Thanks!
Iowa Jazz
System Specs:
ASUS A7V8X-X / KT400
Athlon XP Thoroughbred 2600+ / 512MB PC3200 DDR
Maya 44 audio
Radeon 9200 128MB
Lite-On LTR-52327S
Lite-On LTC-48161H
LG GCC-4480B
Plextor PX-Premium (52/32/52)
Plextor PX-W1210A
iowa jazz
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:08 pm

No, static electricity does not pose any danger to CD-R that I know of. There aren't any delicate MOS capacitors to destroy as in electronics devices. With CD-R you should be careful to avoid exposure to sunlight, temperature extremes, excessive humidity and dust and dirt. You may wisth to take a look at NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) Special Publication 500-252 "Care and Handling for the Preservation of CDs and DVDs - A Guide for Librarians and Archivists".

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby CameraMan on Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:00 pm

I would counter that thought. I think static electricity CAN damage a disc.

Just HOW much is debatable. The metal layer in the disc can conduct electricity. Anything that conducts can be damaged.

Imagine a small wire driving a huge load. The wire will get hot, and give out. I'm not suggesting you use a CD-R in your fuse panel, but the high voltage you find in static electricity can burn pits in the disc. It can jump from bits to bits.

I guess the only way to be sure is to burn a disc, do a 100% error check on it, then zap it, and error check it again.

An audio disc is no big deal, but a data disc could become a coaster.
-John

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada - Slurpee Capital of the world!
BenQ DW400A, LG 24x, 48x & 52x
CameraMan
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:17 pm

well, if you put it this way...
lightning is an effect of static electricity buildup (the discharge, actually), yeah so static electricity can damage CDs, CDRW drives, houses, cars, people etc. etc.

i think the question in this topic was what kind of damage can be cause by "normal household" static electricity, like you would accumulate by walking on a carpet. while this can be enough to fry CMOS chips, it's probably harmless as far as frying CDs go.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives