Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Tayon Yuden media seems cheap

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Postby jberry on Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:42 pm

then it must be a drive issue.

from my posts above:

1620 is an l
4120b is a j (same disc as 1620 says is a l)

others have shown B

looks like some drives just don't get it.
jberry
CD-RW Player

Postby elec999 on Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:01 pm

Here are some dvdinfo pro tests
http://members.rogers.com/alex1002/pitest.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/alex1002/pivert.jpg
The disks werent packaged very well when Ncix shipped them to me. It is very cold outside, the spindle was really cold. So I left the disks alone for a day, to reach room temp. Then when I opened the spindle and burned my first disk, I looked at one of the disks, and the die seemed a bit weird, then it got to normal. I am guessing the disks were still cold. I burned my first and then my second dvd-r from Ty, they seem to playback fine, but I cannot copy the disks data back to the hard drive, which is very inportant. What issues may the drive be causing. I got no other drive to test. I believe the drive may be bad, but how, it gave me some bad cdr burns. Then what should I do, get a Plextor drive. Whats the best high quality burner.
Thanks[/url]
elec999
Buffer Underrun

Postby jsl on Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:39 pm

jberry wrote:then it must be a drive issue.

from my posts above:

1620 is an l
4120b is a j (same disc as 1620 says is a l)

others have shown B

looks like some drives just don't get it.

First 4 bytes in the media code from DVDInfo is a header and not a part of the "media code". The second returned byte (for DVD-R/RW) seems to be drive dependant but I don't know if it really has any meaning.

In DVDIdentifier you can show the media code without these bytes if you want.
jsl
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:13 pm

elec999 wrote:Here are some dvdinfo pro tests
The disks werent packaged very well when Ncix shipped them to me. It is very cold outside, the spindle was really cold. So I left the disks alone for a day, to reach room temp. Then when I opened the spindle and burned my first disk, I looked at one of the disks, and the die seemed a bit weird, then it got to normal. I am guessing the disks were still cold. I burned my first and then my second dvd-r from Ty, they seem to playback fine, but I cannot copy the disks data back to the hard drive, which is very inportant. What issues may the drive be causing. I got no other drive to test. I believe the drive may be bad, but how, it gave me some bad cdr burns. Then what should I do, get a Plextor drive. Whats the best high quality burner.
Thanks[/url]

Did you burn this from an image file? This sounds very much like something I experienced with CD-Rs where the disc was in some weird format that confused the operating system when I tried to copy the files back on to my PC... I never figured out what was up, but it bugged the heck out of me!
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby elec999 on Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:43 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
elec999 wrote:Here are some dvdinfo pro tests
Thanks[/url]

Did you burn this from an image file? This sounds very much like something I experienced with CD-Rs where the disc was in some weird format that confused the operating system when I tried to copy the files back on to my PC... I never figured out what was up, but it bugged the heck out of me!

I just burned a data dvd using nero 6.6.0.1
Thanks
elec999
Buffer Underrun

Postby elec999 on Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:25 pm

The dvds were sent back. I asked to upgrade to dvd+r.
Thanks
elec999
Buffer Underrun

Postby hydrogen on Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:27 am

elec999,

I'm glad you sent them back. I think they were probably bad. I had the same drive as you and my information for the Ty 8x dvd-r showed up different than yours.

Why didn't you try getting the dvd-rs again?
hydrogen
CD-RW Player

Postby jberry on Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:36 pm

yah...+r is certainly no upgrade
jberry
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:08 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:
elec999 wrote:
Complete Media Code
00000000 00 42 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 87 0D 10 .B...@....R.....
00000010 66 78 80 00 03 54 59 47 30 32 00 00 04 00 00 00 fx...TYG02......
00000020 00 00 00 00 05 AA A2 22 22 20 02 00 06 08 0E 11 ......."" ......

I am not sure what to think.
The Pioneer drive seems to be burning other media perfectly.
Thanks

That 'B' concerns me... it SHOULD be a l. But like I said, I *KNOW* the media is legitimate.

I allready said that and that's what I was trying to find out why the second byte is different. and only the second byte.
A Has the Pioneer drive misread it. A quick look arround shows that drives sometimes give back something else as other drives (TDK !)
B Has TY mispressed it.
C Manufactureing quality was low and the environment changed it. (This last one is possible. And a year ago I would have said not with TY however these days everything is possible. !!)
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Gary Kokkin on Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:27 am

Brands and disc types that are fake Taiyo Yudens.

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.ph ... 9&t=112854
Gary Kokkin
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:05 am

Gary Kokkin wrote:Brands and disc types that are fake Taiyo Yudens.

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.ph ... 9&t=112854

I've already said that these are *not* fakes.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:43 am

In order for them to be fake, wouldn't they have to be sold as TY, then when you get them it uses a TY MID code, but is not actually TY?

Just because it uses the MID code, does not mean they are fake, Optodisc at one point on some of their 8x DVDR's used a TY MID code, but they weren't fake TY, as they never marketed them as such.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:25 pm

aviationwiz wrote:In order for them to be fake, wouldn't they have to be sold as TY, then when you get them it uses a TY MID code, but is not actually TY?

Just because it uses the MID code, does not mean they are fake, Optodisc at one point on some of their 8x DVDR's used a TY MID code, but they weren't fake TY, as they never marketed them as such.

The problem is that too many newbs have taken the MID code to be the gospel truth when it comes to figuring out the manufacturer of various media types. What people on the consumer end of the industry almost always fail to understand is that there is a lot of politics involved in the blank media industry, and various manufacturers use different codes for one reason or another.

When Prodisc uses MCC's code on their own media, and it's sold as Prodisc, is it counterfeit/fake?

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Previous

Return to DVD Writers