Home News Reviews Forums Shop

the best archival media

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

the best archival media

Postby islander on Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:42 am

What is the best archival media. Is it CD-R, DVD-R or DVD-RAM.
This is from osta.org:
«Generally speaking, manufacturers claim life spans ranging from 30 to 100 years for DVD-R and DVD+R discs and up to 30 years for DVD-RW, DVD+RW and DVD-RAM.»
Is there any review that compare CD-R and DVD-R with DVD-RAM media.
And what software can i use for testing writing quality of DVD-RAM media.
Thanks
islander
Buffer Underrun

Postby CowboySlim on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:56 pm

When it comes to 30-40 year lifetimes for CD/DVD media, they are only guessing.

The only media for which we have that type of real data is:

PUNCHED CARDS! :P
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:35 pm

what about when the nuclear wars of 2014 comes? punch cards might burn, just might
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:54 pm

hoxlund wrote:what about when the nuclear wars of 2014 comes? punch cards might burn, just might

Punched Titanium then?
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:21 am

I store my backup punched cards in an old, '50s bomb shelter at a constant relative humidity of 45.23% and an atmosphere of 99.99% pure dehumidified nitrogen.

Before storing I have all my cards treated with an anti-fungal agent, an STD depressant, a light mist of spermacide, hebacide, Herbalife, WD-40 and a light topical treatment of a secret Teflon based release agent so that the card reader can separate them easily.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:09 am

CowboySlim wrote:I store my backup punched cards in an old, '50s bomb shelter at a constant relative humidity of 45.23% and an atmosphere of 99.99% pure dehumidified nitrogen.

Before storing I have all my cards treated with an anti-fungal agent, an STD depressant, a light mist of spermacide, hebacide, Herbalife, WD-40 and a light topical treatment of a secret Teflon based release agent so that the card reader can separate them easily.

I have a strong belief that if Monty Python ever reformed, you could easily join their troupe. The effort you put in to your wit is almost at scary levels! :o
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:13 am

Hello!

I try to get back to topic ;)

I don´t believe in 30 years, I can´t image my optical media is in 30 years still readable, when some of my CDs almost unreadable after 2 years.

The best media in stabilty is Verbatim (MCC). Take a look at this threads:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 231#142231
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:18 am

If your burner is compatible with it, Optodisc's A Grade 8x DVD-Rs (The means Samsung or Acro Circle brand) are highly stable. They take high points in every stability test I've seen them in, holding their own against Verbatim in every case (excpt Scour's link, where Verbatim 8x DVD-Rs pulled a little ahead).

I know people are going to jump down my throat for posting this, but the test data *IS* there to back it up. (TDK made in Luxembourg is also a good choice!)

Do *NOT* use Taiyo Yuden media!

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby islander on Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:36 pm

Thank you Scour, but i had read that thread (about c't review) and many others before posting my question and didn't find answer.
Dolphinius_rex, what tests can back up your statement about Optodisc and TY.
islander
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:01 pm

Code: Select all
Name and brands             MID           Mech.Ind.  PowM  Writ  Comp  Speed Stab.

Optodisc (SK)               OPTODISCR004    2 / -     --    0     0     --    ++
Optodisc                    OPTODISCR008   60 / +     0     0     -     -     +
Taiyo Yuden                 TYG02          70 / +     +     0     0     -     --

From the link Scour posted.

Look at the stability scores in particular! Now ok, the 4x DVD-Rs weren't that good for mechanical index of overall burn quality, but the 8x DVD-Rs are fine, and are MUCH more stable then Taiyo Yuden in terms of lifespan.

I think C't should be good enough for now. Further data will be available in a couple months I expect :D

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby islander on Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:02 am

Thanks, i forgot that issue about TY. Anyway Mitsubishi Chemicals, TDK and CMC would be my choice (DVD-R 8X) from that review.
But it seems there is no test like that that include DVD-RAM media.
And there is no software for checking DVD-RAM media writing quality.
islander
Buffer Underrun

Postby RJW on Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:53 am

Befor raving about verbatim which performed so good in so many tests I like to link to the following.
You should have known me as the bringer of the bad news. MHUUHAHAHAAH :evil:

http://www.bitburners.com/option,com_sm ... opic,247.0
(yeah there should also be same info on cdfreaks but Ihave huge problems with there forum at the moment. Let's hope they fix it soon.!!)

So it looks like there might be some problems with some verbatim media.

Now the question people will ask is:
WHen do you bring good news because each time we think we have something good and safe you show up and proof it's not that good ?

Well I can't do anything I'm just the messenger. :-?
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby stix on Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:20 am

RJW,

I don't get it.

Why would anyone expect a DVD to withstand 80 degrees Celsius?
stix
stix
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:16 am

Well... there ARE problems with Verbatim, but I don't have any test data to proove it. It's kind of like I've seen some data that shows Memorex to be as stable as TDK in terms of lifespan, but we all know how consistant Memorex media is from disc to disc and batch to batch! Verbatim outsources to too many companies in my opinion, and even though they work VERY hard to keep their quality top notch, mistakes do happen, and cannot be completely prevented. This is really true for EVERY brand of media, but when you outsource to as many companies as Verbatim does, the risk goes up a fair bit.

Which brings me back to why I always use Acro Circle and Maxell Professional grade (Plus Series in North America) media for my own use.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby frank1 on Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:15 am

dolphinius_rex wrote: . . .
Optodisc's A Grade 8x DVD-Rs (The means Samsung or Acro Circle brand) are highly stable. They take high points in every stability test I've seen them in,

Code: Select all
Name and brands             MID           Mech.Ind.  PowM  Writ  Comp  Speed Stab.

Optodisc (SK)               OPTODISCR004    2 / -     --    0     0     --    ++
Optodisc                    OPTODISCR008   60 / +     0     0     -     -     +
Taiyo Yuden                 TYG02          70 / +     +     0     0     -     --

I bought some "OPTODISCR008" sold under the label DVD-R 8x Deja
and the burns where quite good:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 9&start=24

Si I like to know if in terms of conservation these Deja brand discs do or not belong to these
« Optodisc's A Grade 8x DVD-Rs (The means Samsung or Acro Circle brand) »
frank1
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:05 am

80 degrees should not give the pictures the verbatim disc had at bit burners.

It should be able to handle that conditions much better if you seen verbatims own test results.
Why do you think Verbatim/ MKM wanted some of these disc's of the guy who was testing them !!
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:58 pm

Hey frank1,

I'll check with my Optodisc contacts to see how that brand stacks up. In Europe however, pretty much all Optodisc is B grade, as it's used as a dumping ground. Really Samsung and Acro Circle are the safest bets there especially!! But like I said, I'm double checking for you :)

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby frank1 on Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:46 pm

Thanks, thanks a lot dolphin !

What you are guessing
dolphinius_rex wrote: In Europe however, pretty much all Optodisc is B grade, as it's used as a dumping ground

sounds right to me because these Deja DVD-R 8x discs where really cheap
but they where sold at a "new big opening" and they burned well
frank1
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:43 pm

frank1 wrote:Thanks, thanks a lot dolphin !

What you are guessing
dolphinius_rex wrote: In Europe however, pretty much all Optodisc is B grade, as it's used as a dumping ground

sounds right to me because these Deja DVD-R 8x discs where really cheap
but they where sold at a "new big opening" and they burned well

Sadly, my contact (North American based) has no idea. And since it's not a major brand like Samsung or Emtec or similar, it's not likely he'll be able to find out. I'd still venture a guess that the media is B grade, which means it can vary in quality quite a bit... but that doesn't mean it will ALL be bad quality.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:15 pm

If a DVD lasts 10 years, that's all I'll ask out of it. I have 2 big boxes of VHS tapes I'm going to throw away, and a box of LD's I'm keeping for interests sake, but haven't watched in 4 years. Like all technology, DVD's too will fall by the wayside and out of vogue. Heck, we'll be able to transfer 10-20 DVD's (or more) to one Blu-Ray disc cheaply within a few years, and who knows where we'll go from there. A 200GB thumb drive perhaps? The sky and imagination is the only limit.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers