Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Theory abt DVD burn'g soft + media does it hld water?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Theory abt DVD burn'g soft + media does it hld water?

Postby VEFF on Wed Nov 06, 2002 2:13 pm

Someone on another forum suggested that the Stomp upgrade might fix people's problems with (some) media and the DRU-500A.

I don't know if that poster meant that RecordNow (meaning standard edition) (may have) had issues with some media that the Max version won't, or whatever...

In any case, his theory or statement if you will, made me wonder:

What if the bundled RecordNow 4.5 (NOT the Max version) has a problem finalizing some discs (it seems the latest batch of Prodisc discs all failed right at the END of the burn?
RecordNow works fine with other media.

Then again, Nero 5.5.9.17 also failed on the Prodisc media, while it worked for other media...

This leads me to the usual conclusion, that the write strategy (and other media-specific burning details) for Prodisc 2X is not stored or improperly stored in the DRU-500A 1.0C firmware.
If that is how it is usually done (i.e. a write strategy for certain dye types, determined by brand as stored in the ATIP.

Interestingly, as I mentioned, a previous batch of Prodisc 2X
DVD-R discs worked fine in the DRU-500A.
I noticed that the rings near the center of the underside of the DVD-Rs were slightly different sizes (when comparing the discs from the two batches side by side).

Any comments. theories etc. on whether burning software can affect
the ability to properly burn certain media only???
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player