Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Trouble with my CD/DVD drive

How fast is too fast?

Trouble with my CD/DVD drive

Postby maxxrox on Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:34 pm

I have a TSSTcorp CDW/DVD TS-H492C (copied right out of the hardware tab on the properties page). It will not read a DVD-R given to me by a friend. The same DVD-R works on every other computer I've tested it on. When I put the DVD-R in the drive, the computer does not recognize that it is there.

What should I do to fix this problem?
maxxrox
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:55 pm

It could be any number of things. The format the disc is in isn't supported by the drive, the writing quality is poor, etc. If it was me, I'd try making a copy using other media and see if it works.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby maxxrox on Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:42 pm

Just this afternoon, I got an error while trying to import some files from another CD-R from another friend. You should know that there were other files on the CD-R that worked just fine, but a few had this problem:
Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

I figured out what that means, but could the two problems be connected? I haven't tried the CD-R on another computer yet.

To get around the DVD-R problem, I've been putting the files on another computer then importing them to my PC via a flash drive and several trips. This is the first time I've ever had any problems with my CD/DVD drive and it's only 2 years old. Could it be deteriorating already?
maxxrox
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:11 pm

Yeah, that is most likely related. Trying the drive in another computer is a good idea. Trying a different IDE cable might be a good idea too.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby maxxrox on Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:30 pm

Alright, I tested the CD-R on another computer and had the same problem. It turns out that for some reason, the computer doesn't like to move the whole folder, but when I move the files individually, it works fine.

That brings me back to my question: what is wrong with my drive and what should I do to fix it?

EDIT: It might be useful to know this: when I load the DVD on another computer it says, "Your version of DLA can read the files on this disc but cannot edit or add to them."
maxxrox
Buffer Underrun

any new firmaware for my DVD ROM Pioneer 120

Postby cupidvalentine on Sun May 13, 2007 12:29 am

Hai , Iam newbies here so Iam sorry if it seems I post my posting not in the right threads. My Pioneer DVD ROM 120 cannot read some DVD that have many movies inside( 3 or 4 ) so I think maybe there's already new firmware that Iam not aware at all.

Can you show me the link or the threads to ?

Thanks alot
\
cupidvalentine
Buffer Underrun

Postby Scour on Sun May 13, 2007 3:51 pm

Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Drives