Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Sony PlayStation 4 Pro Can't Play UHD 4K Blu-ray Movies!?

Stand alone DVD and Blu-ray Disc players and recorders.

Sony PlayStation 4 Pro Can't Play UHD 4K Blu-ray Movies!?

Postby Ian on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:31 pm

Damn.. I was ready to lay down some money to buy (another) PS4 for my 4K TV so that I could watch some Ultra HD Blu-ray movies. Looks like I'll be buying the new Xbox One instead.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/ ... hd-blu-ray

Well here's something pretty baffling: Sony's just-announced $400 PlayStation 4 Pro game console, an upgraded and more powerful version of the original PS4, won't be able to play 4K Blu-rays when it ships this November. Reporters from Engadget and BBC News have apparently confirmed the news with Sony directly. Instead, the PlayStation Pro will only support 4K playback from streaming services. That's a perplexing decision from a company that has been a strong proponent of Blu-ray from the beginning. Sony reasons that consumers won't mind because the PS4 Pro is "primarily for gaming."
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Re: Sony PlayStation 4 Pro Can't Play UHD 4K Blu-ray Movies!

Postby Dartman on Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:13 am

Any added features make forking over 400 bucks easier, as in you get more bang for your buck. I don't have a 4k TV yet but will eventually and would love a OLED version but will probably end up with some kind of Vizio because they too offer great bang for buck.
Sony sometimes comes up with off the wall decisions considering how cheap and easy for them to add the capability. Samsung already sells a player but I think its 500 bucks so if you can buy a Xbox cheaper with a 4k player included might be a great deal.
If they get enough negative feedback they may change their minds but we'll see.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Re: Sony PlayStation 4 Pro Can't Play UHD 4K Blu-ray Movies!

Postby Ian on Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:15 pm

I don't understand Sony's logic. The PS4 Pro can play streamed 4K content but not the discs. Maybe they couldn't source an optical drive?
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Return to DVD and Blu-ray Disc Players/Recorders