Home News Reviews Forums Shop

What has happened to the US TV companies in this war??

What was that?

What has happened to the US TV companies in this war??

Postby jase on Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:48 pm

Watching the war on Iraq, I've noticed that whilst here in the UK the vast majority of reports from the country itself come from British reporters (basically the only US reports are in special sections looking at the American point of view), when watching CNN a very high proportion of the news broadcasts, the majority on some occasions, have been from the same UK-based reporters we are getting on our programmes.

Thinking this was perhaps just an international version of CNN or something I watched a relayed edition of NBC News with that funny Tom Brokaw bloke (the one who always sounds as if he's been drinking lol). Blow me if they weren't using the same reports as well!! And unlike when companies pool reports over here, NBC weren't even bothering to hide the ITV/BBC names on the end of reports!!!

What has happened to these companies for pity's sake? I thought the USA was supposed to lead the world in media circles, yet it seems in this one area they're falling well short of what I'd expect. You guys run out of money or something?!?!?
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby Boone on Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:01 am

There's many American journalists working overseas, but the big ones are pseudo-independent and provide reports on a contractual basis. I'm guessing NBC and the BBC will pay $X for a report, and since the BBC's cameras were right there NBC would copy them.

I'm not sure if you're watching the same American TV that I am, but rarely do NBC/CBS/ABC/FOX talk to anyone but their own. CNN has international reporters that don't work exclusively for them.
Boone
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:07 am

unlike the previous Gulf war, CNN has been "expelled" from Iraq, for not being "objective enough". so they don't have their own people right there in Iraq and Baghdad.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby jase on Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:59 am

That would explain CNN then, that makes sense.

However, I can say that I watched the NBC Nightly News last night and 3 of the 5 reports from within Iraq were sourced from ITN ("ITV Network News" as Tom called it). I've never seen an NBC report on ITV.
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby burninfool on Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:23 pm

Saddams' regime is finished and soon all reporters will be allowed into Iraq.
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Return to Rants n' Raves