Home News Reviews Forums Shop

What's the differences between DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

What's the differences between DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW?

Postby buff nasty on Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:20 pm

OK, I keep seeing these popping up, and I have no idea what the differences are. I am thinking about buying a DVD burner and I think if I understand it correctly that the differences between DVD-R and DVD+R is simply format, is this right? Also which is better, or more compatible if I should choose to go that route? I read an article in popular science describing the new blue laser technology that they are getting ready to release next year and they are talking about 15 gigs on one disc 30 with 2 layers. Should I just wait for these to come out or what? What do you reccomend to a person who really knows nothing about DVD burning - Yet?
buff nasty
Buffer Underrun

Postby Kennyshin on Fri Nov 15, 2002 7:26 pm

So far, there's no great difference really. The fastest write-once DVD is 4x DVD-R and the fastest rewritable DVD is 2.4x DVD+RW for now.

There are more DVD-R media manufacturers than DVD+R media manufacturers. There are more DVD+R drive manufacturers (though most are OEM) than DVD-R drive manufacturers if you take into account only the major brands like Pioneer, Philips, Sony, HP, Ricoh, etc.
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Postby buff nasty on Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:56 pm

ok so what is the difference between dvd-r and dvd+r? Are they both compatible in the same burners or what?
buff nasty
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Sat Nov 16, 2002 12:42 am

No. While most drives can read both, there are only a couple that can write to both.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby coolestnitish on Sat Nov 16, 2002 1:23 am

About the blu ray, I think its not worth the wait. They plan to introduce it next year, but I don't think they'll introduce affordable home solutions with the same technology that soon. For ex - DVDs have been around for quite some time now. But it did take time for affordable dvd burners. So first, I think hollywood would use blu ray, to have the advantage of higher tech. (remember once blu ray is affordable to burn, they start loosing money because of pirating). So definitely, its not worth the wait.
OH BEHAVE!!!!!
Never in this world can hatred be stilled by hatred; it will be stilled only by non-hatred - this is the law Eternal.
coolestnitish
CD-RW Player

Postby Matt on Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:04 pm

buff nasty wrote:ok so what is the difference between dvd-r and dvd+r? Are they both compatible in the same burners or what?

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/pc/pccomparison.html

Keep in mind this is more of a one sided feature but it details it breifly.
Matt
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers