Kingston Digital, Inc., the Flash memory affiliate of Kingston Technology Company, Inc., a world leader in memory products and technology solutions, today announced it is shipping the Data Center DC500R Enterprise SSD optimized for read-intensive applications. This is the first drive in the DC500 series that implements Kingston’s strict Quality of Service (QoS) requirements to ensure predictable random I/O performance as well as predictable low latencies over a wide range of read and write workloads. Next week, the company will ship its DC500M SSD optimized for mixed-use workloads.
DC500R is ideal for read-intensive applications such as boot up, web servers, virtual desktop infrastructure, operational databases and real-time analytics. Cloud service providers and software-defined storage architects can leverage the drive’s consistent I/O and latency performance to deliver the QoS needed in demanding read-centric environments. At .5 DWPD (drive writes per day), DC500R allows IT administrators to maximize their investment in storage hardware with a drive that delivers on performance, endurance and reliability. DC500R is available in 480GB, 960GB, 1.92TB and 3.84TB capacities.
“Eighty (80) percent of all enterprise SSDs deployed in data centers require less than one (1) DWPD,” said Gregory Wong, president and principal analyst, Forward Insights. “As data centers seek the optimal balance between application-required endurance, capacity and cost, this trend is expected to continue.”
“Quality of Service in an enterprise SSD is essential for Cloud computing applications that require predictable storage performance levels and meet customer service level agreements. The new DC500 Series SSDs deliver excellent performance to intensive data center applications from the development stage of the application to the end-user customer experience downstream,” said Keith Schimmenti, enterprise SSD business manager, Kingston. “To ensure the security of user data, DC500 incorporates end-to-end data path protection and power-loss protection to safeguard data in-flight in the event of sudden power loss. This is the optimal data center storage solution when you combine its enterprise-class reliability and strict QoS requirements along with Kingston’s legendary pre- and post-sales support.”
In one week, Kingston will add to the DC500 series with the DC500M SSD optimized for mixed-use workloads in applications that have a more even balance of read and write I/O demands on the SSD. It is ideal for Cloud service providers and software-defined storage architects who need a flexible infrastructure to effectively adapt and manage transactional workloads. At 1.3 DWPD (drive writes per day), DC500M is ideal for the high-volume rack-mount server market for internal drive bay upgrades, hyperscale data center servers and Cloud service providers requiring low-cost, high-performance storage subsystems.
Later this week, Kingston will showcase its DC500 series at Data Center World in Phoenix, Ariz. (booth #403). As one of the top industry trade shows on IT infrastructure and data center strategies, Kingston will exhibit its entire line of server SSDs as well as industry-leading Server Premier memory. Server Premier memory features a locked BOM (Bill of Materials) to ensure a consistent brand and revision of DRAM. All Kingston server memory undergoes rigorous, patented dynamic burn-in testing to simulate heavy server workloads designed to root out early-life failure at the factory before they’re installed in the data center. The combination of high-performance server SSDs and Server Premier DRAM make Kingston one of the industry’s most complete providers of end-to-end data performance solutions.
For more information visit www.kingston.com.
Data Center DC500 Enterprise SSD Features & Specifications:
- Optimized for read-intensive applications (DC500R): Responsiveness from low latency and consistent I/O performance delivers businesses the QoS needed in demanding read-centric workloads.
- Optimized for mixed-use applications (DC500M): An exceptional balance of consistent I/O delivery and high read and write IOPS performance to manage a wide range of transactional workloads.
- Reduce application latencies: Data center’s hosting databases and various web-based applications can leverage the predictable I/O and latency performance.
- Data Integrity Protection: ECC protection with advanced read/disturb management safeguards against data corruption for end-to-end data protection.
- On-board (PLP) Power Loss Protection: Reduce the possibility of data loss and/or corruption on ungraceful power fails via power capacitors and firmware.
- Form Factor: 2.5 Inch
- Interface: SATA Rev. 3.0 (6Gb/s) – with backwards compatibility to SATA Rev. 2.0 (3Gb/s)
- Capacities: 480GB, 960GB, 1.92TB, 3.84TB (DC500M 3.84TB capacity available in later Q2)
- NAND: 3D TLC
- Self-Encrypting Drive (SED): AES 256-bit Encryption
- Sequential Read/Write: (DC500R)
480GB – 555MBs/500MBs
960GB – 555MBs/525MBs
1.92TB – 555MBs/525MBs
3.84TB – 555MBs/520MBs
- Steady-State 4k Read/Write: (DC500R)
480GB – 98,000/12,000 IOPS
960GB – 98,000/20,000 IOPS
1.92TB – 98,000/24,000 IOPS
3.84TB – 98,000/28,000 IOPS
- Sequential Read/Write: (DC500M)
480GB – 555MBs/520MBs
960GB – 555MBs/520MBs
1.92TB – 555MBs/520MBs
3.84TB – 555MBs/520MBs
- Steady-State 4k Read/Write: (DC500M)
480GB – 98,000/58,000 IOPS
960GB – 98,000/70,000 IOPS
1.92TB – 98,000/75,000 IOPS
3.84TB – 98,000/75,000 IOPS
- Quality of Service (Latency): TYP Read/Write: <500 µs / <2 ms
- Hot-Plug Capable
- Static and Dynamic Wear Leveling
- Enterprise SMART tools: Reliability tracking, usage statistics, life remaining, wear leveling, temperature
480GB — 438TBW (0.5 DWPD)
960GB — 876TBW (0.5 DWPD)
1.92TB — 1752TBW (0.5 DWPD)
3.84TB — 3504TBW (0.5 DWPD)
480GB – 1139TBW (1.3 DWPD)
960GB – 2278TBW (1.3 DWPD)
1.92TB – 4555TBW (1.3 DWPD)
3.84TB – 9110TBW (1.3 DWPD)
- Power Consumption:
Idle: 1.56W Average: 1.6W Max Read: 1.8W Max Write: 7.5W
- Storage temperature: -40°C ~ 85°C
- Operating temperature: 0°C ~ 70°C
- Dimensions: 69.9mm x 100mm x 7mm
- Weight: 92.34g
- Vibration operating: 2.17G Peak (7–800Hz)
- Vibration non-operating: 20G Peak (10–2000Hz)
- MTBF: 2 million hours
- Warranty/support: Limited 5-year warranty with free technical support