Walmart is making it easier and more enjoyable for movie fans to watch their favorite movies when and where they want. Today at the 2013 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), the retailer announced it is expanding its in-store Disc-to-Digital service to provide customers with digital versions of their previously purchased movies from the comfort of their home. Walmart will also be launching a new Facebook app that will give people access to exclusive movie content and the power to influence and shape what movies are sold in-store and online.
"From Smartphones to Smart TVs, our customers are consuming and sharing content more than ever," said John Aden , executive vice president for general merchandising, Walmart U.S. "We see a great opportunity to provide our customers with accessible and affordable tools to help them bring their movie collections into the digital age. In addition to Disc-to-Digital, Walmart's new Entertainment Facebook app will give movie fans a starring role by serving as place for them to share, interact with and choose the movies they want to see in our stores and online – ultimately enhancing the way people watch and enjoy movies."
Walmart Entertainment's Disc-to-Digital Service, Powered by VUDU
Starting this month, watching DVD and Blu-ray movies from compatible Internet-connected devices will get even easier. Walmart's industry-leading video streaming service, VUDU, will soon have the capability to convert previously purchased DVD/Blu-ray movies to UltraViolet digital copies. UltraViolet is a free, cloud-based digital library that gives users greater flexibility with how and where they watch the movies and TV shows they purchase.
Customers need to simply take the following steps:
- Visit http://www.VUDU.com and download the VUDU To Go App for Macs and PCs.
- Search for previously-purchased movies from participating studio partners – DreamWorks Animation, Lionsgate, MGM Studios, Paramount Home Media Distribution, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Universal Studios Home Entertainment and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment.
- Select how you would like the movies converted:
- Convert a standard DVD or Blu-ray movie for $2; or,
- Upgrade a standard DVD to an HD digital copy for $5.
- The VUDU To Go App will authorize the digital UltraViolet copies and place them in your VUDU account. No upload is necessary, and customers get to keep their physical discs.
- Log onto VUDU.com to view movies any time, any place from any of the more than 300 Internet-connected devices supported by VUDU.
Walmart recently enhanced the VUDU experience by providing the ability to stream and download more than 100,000 movies and TV shows on a growing list of select Android tablets. While the capability to stream on iOS devices is already offered, these users will have the capability to download their collections starting mid-February. The free app is now available for download in the Google Play and iTunes stores.
As an added incentive to try Disc-to-Digital, powered by VUDU, Walmart is giving customers who sign up for a new VUDU account 10 free pre-selected movies when they sign up for an UltraViolet account or link to an existing account.
Walmart Facebook Entertainment App
Developed in partnership with Hollywood's largest studios, the Walmart Entertainment Facebook App will enable Walmart's more than 26 million Facebook fans to read and submit kid friendly movie reviews, watch exclusive behind-the-scenes film content and even vote on what movies the retailer will feature – everything from limited releases to Walmart $5 movie bin offers.
Customers that use the Walmart Entertainment Facebook App will have the ability to:
- Vote for popular movies to be sold in-store and online;
- Personalize movie recommendations and fan picks and share with friends;
- Redeem and share special promotions and offers, such as free movies via VUDU;
- View mom-approved movie ratings and recommendations; and
- Gain access to exclusive content for highly anticipated theatrical and DVD releases and video games – trailers, sneak peeks, behind-the-scenes, polls, photos, interviews and more.
Walmart's Entertainment App will be available just in time for the highly anticipated The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 Blu-ray and DVD pre-sale in February.
"The concept behind Walmart's Entertainment app is to create an innovative approach to shopping," said Tom Arrix , VP of Global Marketing Solutions, Facebook US. "Connecting social activity to Walmart stores across the country will empower fans to change and personalize the store experience."