Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Optodisc 8x DVD-Rs

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Optodisc 8x DVD-Rs

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:51 pm

Well, I have some good news I think:

Not only are Optodisc's 8x DVD-Rs due to land in North America (California to be specific) in the next 15-20 days, but they should be burnable at 8x in just about any 8x DVD-R burner....

Why? Well according to my contact at Optodisc, they have opted to use the Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R code until drive makers have decided to support their own 8x DVD-R code... I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not on their part, but if the disc burns well at 8x then I'm not going to complain. I'll be getting my samples of the media hopefully on Friday this week, but maybe Monday of next week. I'll keep people posted :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby jase on Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:56 pm

Hmmm. Floods of cries of fake TY DVD-Rs are on their way then.

This is no better than Princo using the TDK code a couple of years back. Sucks IMHO.
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby pchilson on Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:58 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Why? Well according to my contact at Optodisc, they have opted to use the Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R code until drive makers have decided to support their own 8x DVD-R code... I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not on their part, but if the disc burns well at 8x then I'm not going to complain.
Can they just decide to do that?
How can we rely on any MID if that is true?
pchilson
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:53 pm

pchilson wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:Why? Well according to my contact at Optodisc, they have opted to use the Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R code until drive makers have decided to support their own 8x DVD-R code... I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not on their part, but if the disc burns well at 8x then I'm not going to complain.
Can they just decide to do that?
How can we rely on any MID if that is true?

Umm, if you only rely on the MID code to know what media you're dealing with, you're playing a really dangerous game! Almost every company has produced other companies MID codes at one time or another.

CMC has done MCC (although authorized). Ritek has done missing MID code media. Prodisc has done Mitsui (although authorized), Optodisc has done Taiyo Yuden now, Princo has done TDK and is expected to also use Taiyo Yuden for their 8x, Gigastorage is using Daxon, Lead Data has used Sony (with, and possibly without permission). And several companies have made media with Maxell's code.

If you want to know the media you work with, you have to *KNOW* the media you are working with :wink:

Look at the serial numbers, the fonts used, the physical charactoristics... heck even the PACKAGING. All these things will assist you in learning who makes the media.

Trust me Optodisc has no intention of selling their 8x DVD-Rs as Taiyo Yuden, they are simply looking for a way to cater to consumer needs, while avoiding the problems brought about by the whole Taiwanese vs. Japanese political crap.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dhc014 on Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:11 pm

This sounds fishy to me.

They should work with firmware hackers like Herrie and >NIL: ;)
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby code65536 on Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:17 pm

The very latest LiteOn firmwares (US0N) support an Optodisc 8x -R code (OPTODISCR008)... hopefully, other manufacturers will follow suit quickly enough that OD won't have do rely on TY's code for long.

dolphinius_rex wrote:Princo has done TDK and is expected to also use Taiyo Yuden for their 8x

I see that there is support for an 8x Princo code in some of the new firmwares for some of the manufacturers.

the whole Taiwanese vs. Japanese political crap.

Huh?
code65536
CD-RW Player

Postby jsl on Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:22 pm

If it's true then it's just a matter of time before "8x Taiyo Yuden OEM Grade A++ media for $0.50 ea!!!" will show up at certain resellers... :roll:
jsl
CD-RW Player

Postby jase on Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:26 pm

jsl wrote:If it's true then it's just a matter of time before "8x Taiyo Yuden OEM Grade A++ media for $0.50 ea!!!" will show up at certain resellers... :roll:

Yeah that was what I was thinking about earlier.
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby thegdog on Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:00 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Trust me Optodisc has no intention of selling their 8x DVD-Rs as Taiyo Yuden.

Doesn't matter what their intention is. I'd put money down that dealers like Meritline will be buying that media and advertisting it as OEM TY media.

And let's not kid anyone. Optodisc isn't doing this for the consumer. If they were, they'd work with the drive manufacturers to make sure that all firmwares had their MID code in place and a satisfactory write strategy for good quality writes. That's in the best interest of the consumer. Using TY's media code means the ability to say that all burners write their media at 8x, regardless of the quality of it.
thegdog
CD-RW Player

Postby pchilson on Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:14 pm

thegdog wrote:Doesn't matter what their intention is. I'd put money down that dealers like Meritline will be buying that media and advertisting it as OEM TY media.
I agree.
It doesn't matter what I know or don't know about how to identify the media.
Then snakes like Meritline will advertise it as "Made by Taiyo-Yuden" and you'll end up with a pile of Optodisc for the price of TY...
Bad move for the consumer.
It's already a shell game out there without deliberate deception.
I have been considering Optodisc just from following what dolphinius_rex has been saying about it.
Now I think different...
pchilson
CD-RW Player

Postby thegdog on Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:43 pm

pchilson wrote:I have been considering Optodisc just from following what dolphinius_rex has been saying about it.
Now I think different...

Funny, you should mention that. I remembered that I had placed an order for some 8x Optodisc media. I just went and cancelled the order. Placed a new order for Prodisc instead.
thegdog
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:43 pm

Hey doing my best here...

And there is already is counterfeit Taiyo Yuden media out there... I can buy "Taiyo Yuden" CD-Rs for $0.145 USD whenever I want :o

And I know for a *FACT* that Optodisc has been working their ass's off trying to get drive makers to support their media, but it just isn't happening. Drive makers support Japanese made media first, and they get around to Taiwanese made stuff when they feel like it.

As for why they didn't go to the firmware hackers for help... who says they didn't?

Anyways, I'm going to do everything I can to make sure this media does not get marketed in shady manners as described by others. If I find out that this is happening, I *WILL* raise hell all the way back to Taiwan! And there are few things more frightening in this world then a ticked off Dolphin! :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby jase on Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:46 pm

The problem is, there are just too many sharks out there.

Optodisc's intentions may be honourable (as might Princo's :roll: ) but distributors and resellers are a totally different kettle of fish.
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:06 pm

jase wrote:The problem is, there are just too many sharks out there.

Optodisc's intentions may be honourable (as might Princo's :roll: ) but distributors and resellers are a totally different kettle of fish.

Well, if anyone finds someone selling Optodisc 8x DVD-Rs as Taiyo Yuden, *TELL ME* and I'll take care of it.

Basically, once NEC, Pioneer, and LG decide to support Optodisc's 8x DVD-Rs, then things will likely change.

I for one am more concerned with the discs's quality then anything else. I've pirated far too many songs and movies to start pointing fingers now :lol:

Out of curiosity, what would make you guys happy? The discs are already made, but what if the media had Acro Circle inscribed along the centre hub? That would prevent people from calling it Taiyo Yuden

fyi: Acro Circle is to Optodisc, as Ridata is to Ritek :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby jase on Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:10 pm

Something like that, yes.

The thing is, TY DVD-R media doesn't have too many distinguishing features so it would be easy to pass off.
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby thegdog on Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:17 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote: Out of curiosity, what would make you guys happy? The discs are already made, but what if the media had Acro Circle inscribed along the centre hub? That would prevent people from calling it Taiyo Yuden

fyi: Acro Circle is to Optodisc, as Ridata is to Ritek :wink:

It would make it easier to identify who actually made the media, but it wouldn't stop people from calling it OEM TY media.
thegdog
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:31 pm

I think I might be able to convince them to do the hub printing, but they'll need to know if it'll make people feel more at ease.

Contrary to popular belief, public relations is VERY high on Optodisc's priority list :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby thegdog on Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:35 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:I think I might be able to convince them to do the hub printing, but they'll need to know if it'll make people feel more at ease.

Contrary to popular belief, public relations is VERY high on Optodisc's priority list :wink:

That's a good thing and they should be commended for that.

Though if I were them, I would do it not to put people at ease, but so that their name doesn't become the next Princo. Looking back, when we talk about companies faking the TDK MID code for 2x writing back in the day, who does everyone refer to? Princo. With that one move, Princo added a stigma to their brand that has endured to this day. (Well, crappy media that falls apart didn't help much either. Heh.)

If I were Optodisc, I would take steps to protect my brand and my products from ending up in the same situation.

Of course, it also begs the question of why when they have this "Acro Circle" brand, are they not using it? Why don't the discs already tout the brand?
thegdog
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:44 pm

Optodisc wants to offer OEM solutions to various smaller brands, so they only put paper inserts ontop of their media, and don't mark the actual disc up. But in cases like this I think it would be more in their best interests to add the hub printing (which would still allow for inkjet printable media).

They are really just starting the whole Acro Circle brand name thing, and most people don't know to associate it with Optodisc just yet... so they are trying to not scare people off with it either! LOL!

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby pchilson on Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:13 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Out of curiosity, what would make you guys happy?
What would make me happy is if the media makers were required to print the MID and manufacturer on the packaging...
Example:
Verbatim +R 1x-4x
CMC made MCC002

Then we would all know what we are buying and the "manufacturers of crap" could go out of business...
I know, I know. Never gonna happen... :(
pchilson
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:21 pm

pchilson wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:Out of curiosity, what would make you guys happy?
What would make me happy is if the media makers were required to print the MID and manufacturer on the packaging...
Example:
Verbatim +R 1x-4x
CMC made MCC002

Then we would all know what we are buying and the "manufacturers of crap" could go out of business...

Sorry, I think I asked the wrong question there...

What can *I* do or suggest to Optodisc that would put people here at ease, and restore a little of your faith in the company?

I called Optodisc again, and they are going to try to hub printing idea out locally in North America, and make the suggestion to their head office in Taiwan. The hub printing may become a standard for Optodisc's Acro Circle media.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby code65536 on Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:29 pm

pchilson wrote:What would make me happy is if the media makers were required to print the MID and manufacturer on the packaging...
Example:
Verbatim +R 1x-4x
CMC made MCC002

Ha. Wishful thinking! The industry will never adopt that unless it was in its own interest. Governments will not legislate this, and even if they do, only a few of them would. The only way that this would work is if the industry saw it in their interest, which means, if consumers will want this. The vast vast majority of the people out there still think that Memorex and Imation make their own drives and discs. Those like us who know about media codes, etc., are very few. And as long as that ignorance in the vast majority exists, this won't change any time soon.

@Dolph...

Your advocacy of Optodisc intrigues me. Makes me want to acquire a few to try out. Might be nice to find a well-priced alternative to the Ricoh media that I've grown to be so dependent on... What would you recommend (+/-, rated speed, etc.), given that I'll be using a 832S?...
code65536
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:41 pm

I have not heard one single complaint on the Optodisc 4x DVD-Rs. I've heard a few of people having *some* problems with the 4x DVD+Rs, but I suspect it was the previous revision of the media, which wasn't as good. The 8x DVD+Rs still need some work, and I haven't tried the 8x DVD-Rs yet... although I have received word my samples are now being couriered to me :wink:

So, I would say that the Optodisc 4x DVD-Rs are the most reliable of the group for the moment. We shall see about the others later. I just grabbed 25pcs of the inkjet printable 4x DVD+Rs to see how they perform, and I'll know more about the 8x +R and -R media late this week, or early next.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby BMR on Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:05 pm

So Dolphinious:

In the enviable position that you are in now I am sure the thought has crossed your mind about helping out your good buddies at "CDRLabs".

Is there going to be a "100 new optodiscs for $50 CDN" deal offered exclusively to your attentive fans for evaluation purposes ???????????????????

BMR
This guy's name is "Snoopy". He keeps me company while I am online.
BMR
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:09 pm

BMR wrote:Is there going to be a "100 new optodiscs for $50 CDN" deal offered exclusively to your attentive fans for evaluation purposes ???????????????????

I could drink to that :)
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Next

Return to DVD Writers