Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Matrix 8X DVD-R with "TYG02" MID?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Matrix 8X DVD-R with "TYG02" MID?

Postby Telstar on Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:10 pm

This has to be one big surprise to me. According to the following link:

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=226063

Matrix 8X DVD-R discs sold by shop4tech have the "TYG02" Mfr ID, and shop4tech claimed that "Matrix is now OEM'ng media for Taiyo Yuden". From "LONGTEN" to "TYG02", Matrix discs have come a long way, if they are not fake. Anyone cares to confirm?
Telstar
CD-RW Thug

Postby aviationwiz on Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:29 pm

Hmm, I don't know...

Optodisc is making thier media use the TYG02 code as well, so it sure doesn't mean that it's TY. Very interesting though, I gotta check out shop4tech.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:31 pm

I guarentee they are fake. And Optodisc is only *1* of the manufacturers that are using Taiyo Yuden's 8x DVD-R code. The difference with Optodisc is that they are also making their own code 8x DVD-Rs, in anticipation of when the drive manufacturers start supporting their media.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Halc on Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:09 am

Does anybody have an explanation how wrong media codes get used by iffy manufacturers?

Stolen stampers?

Forged stampers?

I can't believe it's cross licesing between TY and Optodisc :)
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:30 am

Halc wrote:Does anybody have an explanation how wrong media codes get used by iffy manufacturers?

Stolen stampers?

Forged stampers?

I don't know exactly how personally... it could be forged, or bought. It's not likely to be stolen, at least on the part of Optodisc. But like I said, I know other manufacturers are also using TY's code
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby pchilson on Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:12 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
Halc wrote:Does anybody have an explanation how wrong media codes get used by iffy manufacturers?

Stolen stampers?

Forged stampers?

I don't know exactly how personally... it could be forged, or bought. It's not likely to be stolen, at least on the part of Optodisc. But like I said, I know other manufacturers are also using TY's code

Doesn't "forged" == "stolen" ?
pchilson
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:00 pm

pchilson wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:

Stolen stampers?

Forged stampers?

Doesn't "forged" == "stolen" ?

That's debatable. It's just a code that describes writing strategies, that is why TDK had so much trouble when Princo started using their code, and they couldn't get the courts to make them stop. Princo eventually stopped of their own accord though. I guess it comes down to the whole intellectual property thing.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby OC-Freak on Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:44 pm

3A media is also making 8x DVD-R with TYG02 code :evil: [-X

I really HATE manufacturers "stealing" codes from larger and better manufacturers.....
www.cdfreaks.com reviewer and forum administrator.
OC-Freak
CD-RW Player

Postby 21st Hermit on Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:47 pm

Apparenly their is no Honor among thieves!!! [-X
21st Hermit
CD-RW Thug

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:50 pm

OC-Freak wrote:3A media is also making 8x DVD-R with TYG02 code :evil: [-X

I really HATE manufacturers "stealing" codes from larger and better manufacturers.....

They do it for a reason, to force drive makers to support their discs. The basic idea is:

disc maker: Please support my disc
drive maker: No, you aren't worth our time, maybe later
disc maker: F*ck you!

now, this isn't true for all disc makers, some just put the code on so that they can claim an 8x disc, even when it won't be readable when burned at 8x in most drives.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby pchilson on Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:40 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:disc maker: Please support my disc
drive maker: No, you aren't worth our time, maybe later
disc maker: F*ck you!

disc maker: I'll just stick a TYG02 on these and your drive will look like sh*t cause it can't write to TY worth a crap...
drive maker: STFU
disc maker: Yo Mama!
meritline: Get your "Genuine Tyaio Yuden" media here...

And so piss poor joe blow consumer gets the sh*t end of the stick again...
pchilson
CD-RW Player

Postby jase on Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:19 pm

disc maker: aha, I'll be able to use up that old unstable 1x dye I have in the cellar on these new 8x TY discs, mwah hah hah.

Datawrite/e-net UK: excellent, another money making scam. We buy the discs in at $0.10 each, and sell as the real deal.

<customers get skanked>

Customers: TY discs are shyte

Jase: No you idiot, it's shysters in the industry

Customers: Nah, Jase doesn't know what he's talking about, e-net are a bunch of angels giving us these cheap discs.

dvd-recordable.org: World Exclusive: TY shifting reject media out the back door

Customers: Aha! See, go out and buy Rytek (sic). There gr8 init m8

Jase: <sigh>

Datawrite/e-net: Excellent, the plan worked. Now if we can just get the price of Ritek up to ridiculous levels, oh and get those reject Riteks shifted...

Ritek: Yeah Mr Rasul we'll knock off a load of rejects for ya no problem

<Customers get skanked again>

Jase: See?

<Sheep-like customers>: Ah shut up. Rytek rule, just a bad batch that's all. The first five discs on the spool were fine so it can't be e-net's fault. TY sux0rz...

Jase: What's the matter with you lot? Can't you see what's going on? BTW BrandX media are selling Sony discs for 2p each, bargain...

Customers: No, they don't have Datawrite writen on them, and besides my m8 bought a couple of BrandX discs in 1982 and they don't read anymore so they must be crap even at 2p each.

disc maker: Oh, and I have these fake Ritek media for you, real good quality like...

... and so it continues.
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby code65536 on Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:36 pm

@pchilson
@jase

ROTFL! :lol:
code65536
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:16 pm

well yeah, that also happens. Although most disc makers aren't as honest as to admit the media is previous-reject material :roll:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Halc on Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:49 am

3A Media disca are _excellent_ based on the test results I've seen. Almost right up the with verified "Made in Japan" TY in terms of compatibility, PI/PIF rates on CATS, dc jitter and what not. Haven't seen tests for the 8X disc from them though (yet to receive it myself).

However, I must say that it is relatively easy to forge a stamper. No magic involved.

Of course it's easier if you have the glass master stolen or "borrowed", but you can just as well make your own with just the forged code.

I was just asking if anobody _knew_ anything on the issue :)
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby hydrogen on Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:09 am

Where can one get this good 3A Media? Also where can one get the 8x 3A Media?

Thank you.
hydrogen
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:28 am

The only time I've heard of 3A media was in a media test in the German "PC Magazin" that Halc found. It's an Austrian company and their media is mainly sold there, often as a house brand in bigger stores. I haven't seen them in Germany (yet- they have plans) and I doubt if they're available in N.A.

Halc- have you actually tried these yet?

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby jsl on Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:21 pm

Halc wrote:3A Media disca are _excellent_ based on the test results I've seen.

If it's the test MediumRare links to that you refer to I would not trust the results at all:
MediumRare wrote:- the scans were carried out at the plant of 3A Media in Austria

I'm sure even Princo could get excellent results if they tested their own discs...
jsl
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:31 pm

jsl wrote:
MediumRare wrote:- the scans were carried out at the plant of 3A Media in Austria

I'm sure even Princo could get excellent results if they tested their own discs...

Princo's own results show that they *only* sell grade A media :lol:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:34 pm

jsl wrote:
Halc wrote:3A Media disca are _excellent_ based on the test results I've seen.

If it's the test MediumRare links to that you refer to I would not trust the results at all:

Yeah, I swallowed a bit when I read that, but I think it's legitimite if the magazine had their own test discs scanned (and didn't use results that 3A "had lying around"). It's in the company's interest to keep their production quality up by testing with a selection of current drives. They did invest in a scanner, after all.

The results aren't as clear cut as you might think either. The Sony drive had problems with all 3A types, and the 8x media didn't work well with the LiteOn either. The 4x DVD-R weren't really good with any drive. The one "outstanding" type was 4x DVD+R (POMSC001), but Ritek R02 were better. ;)

My main objection with the test was that they didn't mention firmware versions (not in follow-up issues either), and they didn't state whether they brought their own test burners or used the ones at 3A's plant.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby Halc on Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:50 pm

I have a friend who has burned a bunch of 3A media 4x DVD-R and the results are excellent. Not quite as good as TY / Maxell, but right up there (for both kProbe, Transfer speeds and playback compatibility). Of course, this is far from conclusive, but it paints a very promising picture nevertheless.

I haven't had time to test them myself (haven't got any and my personal dvd testing bench is not ready yet).

I don't see any real reason NOT to trust those results myself although theoretically the company could have sent false test scans back to the magazine (and put their whole professional credibility on the line at the same time).

regards,
halcyon
Halc
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers