Home News Reviews Forums Shop

How to Burn An Audio CD from Song in Hard Drive to Display

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Postby cfitz on Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:31 am

TCAS wrote:Obviously displaying the content of a Data CD is different with displaying an Audio CD with Title and Artist name.

This is true, as you have found out. :)

TCAS wrote:May be creating an Audio CD with the Title and Artist name to be displayed requires special plug-in for Nero to be able to first Convert/Encode from one format to another format then extract the information from Data Audio and burn it in to Audio CD.

Nope. It is already all in Nero.

If you want to make an CD-Text Audio CD (CDA) from mp3 files using Nero, just select "File"->"New" and choose "Audio CD". Make sure that the "Write CD Text on CD" box is checked on the "Audio CD" tab of the New Compilation dialog, and that "Disc-At-Once" is selected as the Write Method in the "Burn" tab. Then press "New" and drag all those mp3 files into the resulting "Audio" compilation window. Nero will automatically convert the mp3 files into CDA format for you, and if the mp3 files have artist and title information in their tag fields, Nero will automatically copy that information to the CDA tracks.

When you have everything arranged, burn the disc and you now have a CD-Text CDA disc that will play in a standard CD player (without mp3 support). Now your only problem is finding a software player that will display the CD-Text. As I mentioned yesterday, I looked around, without success, to find one. Even the small freeware player that Inertia mentioned didn't display the text when run on my Windows 2000 box, although it does claim to support CD-Text. :(

I knew my test disc had CD-Text info in it, because when I put the disc in my drive and selected disc information in either Nero or WinOnCD, the CD-Text data was displayed. But still, no player that would show it! :x

Finally I dug out my Nero installation CD and installed the Nero media player. At last, success! It even scrolls the CD-Text across the button in the Windows taskbar. :D The Nero media player will show the CD-Text information. So, if you've got the Nero CD lying around, try out Nero media player. If you have followed all the steps correctly, you should at last see your CD-Text.

By the way, most commercial audio CDs don't have CD-Text with the artist and track titles included, unlike mp3 files, so if you are making a compilation from audio CDs, it can be a pain to type in the information. Here is another message I just posted tonight that gives a brief review of entering artist and title information manually and also using the Nero CD database functions to automate the entry of that information for music extracted from commercial music CDs:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 5210#45210

Good luck!

cfitz

Follow-up: The freeware CD-Text capable player that Inertia suggested in an earlier post now works properly. It started displaying the CD-Text after I installed Nero media player. Don't ask me why. Maybe something that the Nero installation added to make it work also made the freeware player work. Or maybe I just finally hit the right combination of buttons on the freeware player. Just before I got it to work I futzed with the "Option"->"Configurate Device" (sic) dialog. But all I did was rescan the SCSI bus. I didn't change any settings. Oh well, that gives you two choices for CD-Text capable software CD players.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Inertia on Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:13 am

cfitz wrote:...Now your only problem is finding a software player that will display the CD-Text. As I mentioned yesterday, I looked around, without success, to find one. Even the small freeware player that Inertia mentioned didn't display the text when run on my Windows 2000 box, although it does claim to support CD-Text. :(

The Digital CD Player will work with all Windows operating systems. :)

From the menu Option | Check CD-TEXT Info must be checked to activate CD Text. Digital play can be checked if desired for playback through the IDE cable instead of the audio cable (which is not required with this setting).

Then go to Option | Configurate Device | Device and select the Current device (player) which contains the CDR with CD Text.

Click OK and read the CD Text.

Try it again and let me know if this doesn't work. :wink:
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:54 am

Inertia wrote:From the menu Option | Check CD-TEXT Info must be checked to activate CD Text.

Try it again and let me know if this doesn't work. :wink:

As I said, I already have it working now. But, as I re-read your post, the "Option"->"Check CD-TEXT Info" jumps out at me. I did set that option, although I didn't realize it was a persistent setting, and then I went on to look through the "Configurate Device" settings. And all this was done just after installing Nero media player. So I didn't realize what made the CD-Text display work until I read your follow-up post.

This is a good example of why it is good to make only one change at a time - otherwise you don't know what fixed (or broke) your system. Do as I say, not as I do! :)

By the way, I did investigate the out-of-the box (okay, actually out-of-the-zipfile) setting of the Digital CD Player. "Check CD-TEXT Info" is not enabled by default. So enabling it is definitely the key. Don't assume, like I did, that just because the player is CD-Text capable that it comes configured ready to display the CD-Text.

Thanks for the follow-up, Inertia.

Okay TCAS, are you ready to report your success now? 8) I've already made all the mistakes for you... :wink:

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Inertia on Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:03 am

cfitz,

I read your post before the follow-up was added by your edit.

At the time that I wrote the post, I didn't know that you had gottten it working.

In any event, the settings were probably worth explaining anyway. :)
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:27 am

Inertia wrote:In any event, the settings were probably worth explaining anyway. :)

Yes, they absolutely were. Thanks.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby TCAS on Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:22 pm

Cfitz/Inertia;

Thank you both for bring light in to this forum, These type indepth analysis with hard working and dedication to explore these discussion and topics , and present them in more sofisticated and technical manner make argument enjoyment and pleasant to follow.

I will try the suggested procedure and post the result later.

BTW. I also read your comment on CD-RW thread.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Previous

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)