Home News Reviews Forums Shop

need suggestions to buy a dvdrom

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

need suggestions to buy a dvdrom

Postby yodat on Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:53 pm

i am considering to buy a dvdrom but i cant decide.

i am thinking about a liteon dvd rom but i see that they're not producing dvdrom's under their brand (@ liteonit there is no info about dvdroms)

instead of liteon, here they sell a brand called pacific digital that i dont know about them.

so can you suggest me a dvd rom that has good ripping capability & reliability like old lite-ons ?
yodat
Buffer Underrun

Re: need suggestions to buy a dvdrom

Postby cfitz on Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:00 pm

yodat wrote:i am thinking about a liteon dvd rom but i see that they're not producing dvdrom's under their brand (@ liteonit there is no info about dvdroms)

Sure they are. You just are looking at the wrong website. They split out the DVD-ROM operation a few months back, and now you need to look here for LiteOn DVD-ROM information:

http://www.jlms.com.tw

You can buy them from the very reputable online retailer newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/app/Viewproduct.a ... rchFor=dvd

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby yodat on Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:36 pm

thanx for the links. 166s seems fine
yodat
Buffer Underrun

Postby yodat on Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:21 pm

is there any review about XJ-HD166S around the net, cuz i couldnt find ?
yodat
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Feb 14, 2003 12:45 am

an unofficial/informal (?) one by our vbl177:
http://members.fortunecity.fr/vbl117/index.html
the link on the right of the screen (LTD-166S).
http://members.fortunecity.fr/vbl117/introduction.shtm

regretably, it is broken now.
i PMed vbl117, hopefully he'll fix it soon.

i think also our aviationwiz posted a short review of this drive here in the DVD forum of CDRLabs, search for it.

EDIT:
OK maybe i was wrong it wasn't aviationwiz, i found this by RazOrX:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7958
http://www.geocities.com/rrazorrx/liteon166sreview.pdf

OK also look here:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7505
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby vbl117 on Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:08 am

Well it is not a commercial site nor an official site ( i use Lite-On and JLMS banners but i have just copied them from official sites and i have no relation with this companies , only have reported issues to them and sais i had reviewed their drive ) . Of course if things change in the future , i'll say it .

Yes i have problems with my host ( because i don't respect the rules ; some rules are not clear and i m a bit studborn sometimes ) .

Perhaps in the future i ll let people download my website in three parts ( 400K * 3 ) for offline consultation and archiving . My host does not allow files bigger than 500 Ko to be downloaded . Do you think it is a good idea ?

In all case the printable text review link should work :

http://members.fortunecity.fr/vbl117/166S.rtf

As fortune city seems to dislike .shtm protocol i use now .htm protocol .
So the links gived by Dodecahedron are no more available .
vbl117
CD-RW Player

Postby yodat on Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:04 am

thanx for the links again,

i have a question about the vbl117's review:

"Marketing DVD VIDEO with promotional clips for "The Lord of the Rings" . 4.13 Go . Single Layer DVD. Maximum reading speed is 12.40X . Average reading speed is 10.56X . These results are weird and deceptive ."

Here you said "These results are weird and deceptive". What do you mean with deceptive, is it too high ?

also you have mentioned issue that with UDMA 33 and UDMA 100 cables and said that something like hope to be fixed with a firmware update. does the latest firmware fix the problem. Cuz i am gonna using this drive with new UDMA 100/133 cables. (accompanying a ltr40125w writer, i ve been using since summer, and its a great writer :) )

my other question is not related with reviews:
is there a difference with 166s white & black ? cuz if i can find one, i am considering to buy the black 166s.
yodat
Buffer Underrun

Postby vbl117 on Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:51 am

The results are deceptive because it reads single layer DVD-VIDEO at 12X max and it is sold as a 16X max DVD reader . But i think a lot of 16X DVD-ROM drives are in this case .

I mean the results are weird because the end of the graph looks like a saw . You can see also irregularities at the beginning . And there is a great irregularity in the end . I have tested many times , beginning is almost stable whereas end is unforeseeable .
With DS14 Firmware results are more stable at the beginning .

But i don't have noticed consequences .
vbl117
CD-RW Player

Postby vbl117 on Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:19 am

You must refer to an ancien post because i don't speak anymore of this issue in my review ( i say only DSOF Firmware correct a problem with VIA KT133/133A chipset ) .

http://members.fortunecity.fr/vbl117/performance.htm

The issue between VIA KT133/133A , LTD-166S , and UDMA100/133 cable is solved since DSOF Firmware ( VIO_MAN and i had reported the issue to Lite-On ) .
vbl117
CD-RW Player

Postby yodat on Fri Feb 14, 2003 12:10 pm

yep, i reffered to an earlier post of you in the forum.

anyway i never use any via chipset too :wink:

thank you a lot for answering my questions :)
yodat
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Fri Feb 14, 2003 12:21 pm

vbl117 wrote:The results are deceptive because it reads single layer DVD-VIDEO at 12X max and it is sold as a 16X max DVD reader.

You may just have a problematic disc. Here is a chart of of my 166S achieving 15X on a single-layer DVD disc. The disc isn't long enough to allow the drive to reach top speed, but if you extrapolate the results just a little it is clear that the drive could reach 16x:

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby vbl117 on Fri Feb 14, 2003 12:57 pm

Thanks Cfitz . Yes it is my only single layer DVD disks . i have rent DVD but they were double layer .

I'll check this ( you are probably right ) and correct my test if necessary .
vbl117
CD-RW Player

Postby vbl117 on Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:06 pm

Hum i obtain similar results with my new single layer DVD VIDEO.
The irregularities are much smaller , i gain 0.50X for average speed but there is still irregularities , it is still weird .
vbl117
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Sat Feb 15, 2003 5:55 am

Fry's has a DVD Rom for only $35 this week. Not sure who makes it, but for that cheap you can't go wrong...
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby Gary Kokkin on Sat Feb 15, 2003 8:05 am

Pls take a look in this link . Some LTD166 may have problem....
Search forum ,maybe older LTD163 is better in value for money for you

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.ph ... adid=62707
Gary Kokkin
CD-RW Player

Postby vbl117 on Sat Feb 15, 2003 8:45 am

I ll test it on my second computer . Perhaps it is my computer fault .
Also Gary when i test cd with cdspeed and this drive i don't find errors unless the cd contains really errors and is unreadable by my other cd drives ( the only problem i had with LTD-166S was with multisession cd and i guess this problem is related to Firmware rather than hardware ) .
vbl117
CD-RW Player

Postby vbl117 on Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:30 am

Ok results very similar to cfitz results ( except on the small beginning ) with my second computer . I ll post the graph here and update my test .

I think i have problems with my first computer because my power supply is dying :oops: . I'll replace it .
vbl117
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:09 pm

vbl117 wrote:I think i have problems with my first computer because my power supply is dying :oops: . I'll replace it .

Interesting. Others have reported similar effects caused by troublesome power supplies. Certainly a bad power supply can have an affect on the performance of equipment powered by it. But I rarely think to suggest it as a possibility. It is easy to think of the power supply as a binary device (it either works fine or doesn't work at all), but that isn't a completely accurate way to view a power supply.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

software compatibility issue

Postby vbl117 on Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:55 am

er hm ...... Finally it was a software or a driver compatibility issue . After uninstalling my Nero Burning Rom version ( one year and 6 months old ) and my Clone Cd version ( more than one year old ) , the problem was mainly solved ( i don' t know if they were both involved or if only one was involved ) . I 'll check later if there is not too one or two minor compatibility issues ( i had an weird result after that but i think that was because i had just reactivated my virtual cd before , after this weird result i made a last try with my virtual cd still activated and it was successful . I'll check if there is minor compatiblities issues later ) .
I use and was using CD speed and DVD speed downloaded from www.cdspeed2000.com website ( the cdspeed version included in my nero version could not detect my DVD ROM drive ) .

The power supply was not guilty . I have replaced before it by a new one .
It'll be useful at least for lowering noise level ( sometimes noise level was high and disagreeable ) and to improve power quality .
I think it could work 6 months or more . But i'll give her a deserved rest .
vbl117
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers