Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Opinions on Verbatim CD-RW High Speed Media

Burn baby burn!

Opinions on Verbatim CD-RW High Speed Media

Postby WBF on Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:23 pm

What is everyones Opinions on Verbatim CD-RW High Speed Media

I was thinking of getting a pack of the 74min 650mb 16x-24x but know one has any in my area so I'll have to order it.

Are these highspeed versions any good?
WBF
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:58 pm

Many people have reported good success with these discs. I haven't yet personally tried any.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Mar 27, 2003 2:13 pm

Verbatim High Speed CD-RW media is very good.
i use it all the time, so far not a single problem.

BTW, 16-24x is Ultra Speed, not High Speed.
Verbatim Ultra Speed CD-RW media is also considered very good.
i'veno personal experience, but others on the forum here have.

search a bit on this forum.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Burn2death on Thu Mar 27, 2003 2:46 pm

I don't know about the 16x-24x, because I can't get them, but the 12x Verbatim are really crappy, at leaset the ones I got at Staples in Canada.
Mess with me, I will BurnU2death!
Burn2death
CD-RW Thug

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:19 pm

Burn2death wrote:I don't know about the 16x-24x, because I can't get them, but the 12x Verbatim are really crappy, at leaset the ones I got at Staples in Canada.

yes, burn2death, you already posted that here:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9983
but from the responses you got on that thread you should aleady know that you just had bad luck or something, the overwhelming concensus, based on a lot of good experience from many people, is that Verbatim CD-RW media is very good.

so for someone new looking for info on the quality of Verbatim Cd-RW media, you experience is not the representative one...
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:33 pm

Not to discount the validity of your personal experience, Burn2death, but dodecahedron is right in that yours represents an isolated incident in an otherwise large body of positive opinion regarding Verbatim CD-RW discs.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby MediumRare on Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:51 pm

I haven't tried the high speed disks (4-10x) but use the UltraSpeeds regularly and am happy with them. I just posted a summary of my experience with these here: http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=59251#59251.

Note that the C1-error rate is significantly greater than with quality CD-Rs, but this is not really a problem as long as you don't want to use this media for archival purposes (i.e. for decades). 8)

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby Spazmogen on Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:37 pm

Verbatim 16x-24x Ultra Speed discs are terrific!

I got a 10 pack back in November. Every one of them has been 100% error free, even at full 24x recording.

I highly recommend them. I also recommend the Verbatim High Speed 4x-10x cd-rw's. I have no experience with the 4x-12x rated ones though.
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby Burn2death on Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:06 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
yes, burn2death, you already posted that here:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9983
but from the responses you got on that thread you should aleady know that you just had bad luck or something, the overwhelming concensus, based on a lot of good experience from many people, is that Verbatim CD-RW media is very good.

so for someone new looking for info on the quality of Verbatim Cd-RW media, you experience is not the representative one...

It seems to me that a lot of people on this form worship certain brands of drives, CDR, and CD-RW manufactors, if someone had a bad experience with something, they are very quick to defend that manufactor.
Yes I did post my bad experience with the 12x verbatim, and now I'm answearing someone else's question, is this the first time time that someone has done this??? I'm sure no Lite-On fans here ever mention more than once about how great Lite-On drives are right? :roll:
And from the responds I got there were lots of people defending Verbatim CDRs, 24x CD-RWs, 4x CD-RWs, 10x CD-RWs, there wasn't one person who mention that they specifically used the 12x Verbatims rewritables and had good experience with them, and even if they did specifically said their 12 verbatim were great, it doesn't mean that I shouldn't post anymore replies for any who ask about them, does it?
do a search and see how many people have repeatedly post about how great the 24x Verbatims are in all the difference threads. so it's ok to mention more than once how great the Verbatim 24x are, but I should only keep my bad experience with in my own thread? :roll:
This is a forum, if you or my self had some good or bad experience with some a certain product we should let others know about it.

you experience is not the representative one.

I don't want to represent anyone, I just want to represent my bad experience the with those 12x Verbatims.
Burn2death
CD-RW Thug

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:08 am

ok no problem.
i didn't mean to say you shouldn't post your experiences. you certainly can, and i'm sorry if my post came overs as criticizing you, i certainly did not mean it to.
most of the stuff you said is correct...
and it is good that you posted your bad experience too. we want to hear of the good and of the bad.

however, i just want to point out, that the original question was posted by a new member, he may have not read many posts on the forums.

the fact that the are many posts with good opinions about the Verbatim CD-RW media seems to suggest that it is, in general, good media. that was the point of my earlier post.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby TheWizard on Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:04 am

I love Verbatim CD-RW's: 1X-4X, 4X-10X, 16X-24X. You name it, they are all excellent quality.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby Burn2death on Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:17 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
ok no problem.
i didn't mean to say you shouldn't post your experiences. you certainly can, and i'm sorry if my post came overs as criticizing you, i certainly did not mean it to.

most of the stuff you said is correct...
and it is good that you posted your bad experience too. we want to hear of the good and of the bad.

however, i just want to point out, that the original question was posted by a new member, he may have not read many posts on the forums.

the fact that the are many posts with good opinions about the Verbatim CD-RW media seems to suggest that it is, in general, good media. that was the point of my earlier post.

That's very cool, I agree with you there.
Burn2death
CD-RW Thug

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives