Home News Reviews Forums Shop

spinning-up drive before burning in Nero

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

spinning-up drive before burning in Nero

Postby o770 on Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:03 pm

Hi!

Is there a way I can set Nero Express to spin up the drive before starting the actual burn process?
Thanks.
o770
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:32 pm

Please don't post the same question to multiple sites at the same time:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php ... adid=68094

That's not fair to the people taking their time to try to help you.

As for your question, Nero does spin up the drive before it actually starts burning, so there is no need to try to get the drive spinning before you hit the burn button.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby o770 on Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:01 pm

It doesn't seem to, at least if I don't have it set to test speed and simulate burn before.

At least for me the drive starts spinning up at the time Nero starts burning the Lead-in...

I'm thankful for your help cfitz. I know this is not the first time you reply to my message; but not everyone I guess participate in all the forums. I won't double-post in one forum though.
Thanks for your time again.
o770
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:44 pm

o770 wrote:It doesn't seem to, at least if I don't have it set to test speed and simulate burn before.

Check a little closer. I suspect you are fooled because when you click "burn", the Process Status bar immediately jumps up to 4% or so, and beneath that Nero reports it is writing the lead-in, even though the drive isn't spinning. Then you hear the drive spin up. But I think if you keep one eye on the Nero dialog and the other on the drive itself, you will see that the LED on the drive that indicates actual burning doesn't light until after the drive has spun up.

Nero's dialog just reflects the commands it has sent to the drive, which may take some time for the drive to process. So, just because the dialog says "lead-in" doesn't mean that the drive is actually in the process of physically writing the lead-in at that exact moment. It just means that the commands required to write the lead-in have been sent are in the pipeline to be processed.

May I ask the cause for your concern? Do you have some evidence that the lead-in isn't being written properly? Are you getting unreadable or bad quality burns? Do you think you found a bug and the engineers at Nero overlooked the need to start the drive spinning before turning on the laser?

I think you are worrying about a non-issue. I doubt that the laser can even be turned on without spinning the drive. If your concern is that the burning starts while the drive is still accelerating, I don't think that is an issue either. Listening to the drive and watching the LED on my drive during a burn, it is evident that the disc is at speed before actual burning starts.

o770 wrote:not everyone I guess participate in all the forums. I won't double-post in one forum though.

I think you may be missing the point. Double posting within one forum is definitely bad form. But so is posting the same question to multiple sites at the same time, since it can end up wasting the time of people who take the time to answer a question that they aren’t aware has already been answered elsewhere. It is quite rude to assume that your time is more valuable than other people’s time. That is what you are doing when post the same question on many sites in order to get a quick reply, without concern for wasting the time of the people upon whose kindness you are imposing by having them compose duplicate answers.

If you don't believe that this practice is frowned upon, read through this:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9921

Personally, if I see you doing it again, I won’t answer any more of your questions.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby o770 on Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:42 pm

I'll check that a little closer to make sure the LED won't light up still when the rotation is accelerating - and post back.

I've got read errors from many CDs I burned using this drive always at the beggining of the first track (or the lead-in, dunno).
My post at cdfreaks: link!.
It is not clear to me whether the read error occur because of any problem during the burn process or the read process.
I also searched for as many results I could find from the media tests using CD Speed but actually no-one would seem as mine posted in the message at the link above.
I'm just not too sure about this drive.. it can't read CD-Rs at 52x by default. LG then made some changes to the later revisions of the firmware to enable a Turbo mode..
My concern is for the reliability of the drive either at reading/writing during the spin-up process.

Im not sure also if changing write methods during the burn process while the drive speeds up could lead to any kind of failures, as a CD won't be burned at the highest selected speed since the burn process just starts.

I won't say anything about double-posting in two separate forums but apologize the time you spent also to double-post here and at the cdfreaks forum. I never meant to take other ppl's time as not being as valuable as mine;
but I want you to know that your help has been very appreciated. Since your post to my thread at cdfreaks forum I couldn't really say you were a member there either.
o770
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:30 pm

What do you mean by "read errors"? Do you mean the yellow bars that show up CD Speed's CD Quality Test, or do you mean an actual read error/corrupted data when trying to open or copy a file from the CD-R?

Your pictures aren't working, but from what you describe it sounds like what you are seeing is the not-uncommon c2 error or two that will sometimes show up at the beginning of CD Speed's CD Quality Test. These errors are caused, as you seem to suspect, by CD Speed failing to spin up the drive to full speed before it begins testing. Instead, it starts the test before the disc has reached full speed and tests while the drive is applying maximum acceleration to quickly reach the desired test speed. Reading the disc at the same time it is under hard acceleration can lead to a few transient read errors whose underlying cause is the hard acceleration.

You can usually get rid of these errors by starting the test, allowing the disc to reach full speed, then stopping the test and immediately starting it again before the discs RPM's drop. By doing this you are manually spinning up the drive prior to testing. I've often wondered why Erik Deppe didn't include a spin-up period prior to the quality tests much like he does prior to the transfer rate tests. KProbe and CD Doctor both fully spin up the disc before they commence testing.

So, I wouldn't worry about it. These errors are not likely to be writing errors. Instead, they are testing artifacts are caused by the conditions under which the test program reads the disc, and they are not uncommon. I've seen them on my drives as well:

Furthermore, these C2 errors are fully correctable before the OS sees the files. If you actually have corrupted data files or files that can’t be opened, then you have a real problem. But what you describe sounds normal and shouldn't require any further attention.

By the way, what you call the "burst rate test" is actually the transfer rate test. The burst rate test is another test altogether. And the transfer rate test will never show errors because it doesn't measure errors. It only measures the data transfer rate. However, as noted above, for whatever reason Erik Deppe chooses to spin up the drive before the transfer rate test but not the quality test, so the transfer rate test doesn't show the sharp acceleration at the beginning of the test like the CD quality test does.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby o770 on Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:56 pm

Thanks a bunch!!!

The server hosting my pics went down for a little while but everthing seems to be back to normal now.

Your picture just looks exactly like mine.

You are right to assume I was talking about the C2 errors reported by the drive, not necessarily of corrupted or unreadable data.

You are right the test is actually the Trasnfer Rate one.

Thanks again!
o770
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:11 pm

You're welcome. I hope your worries are gone now.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)