Home News Reviews Forums Shop

3 hr. movie +,how's the video quality?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

3 hr. movie +,how's the video quality?

Postby NoSmartz on Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:57 pm

Recently I've been rippin' quite a few 2 1/2 to 3 hr movies and I thought I'd post this question.
I was wondering who out there has done some of these and what the video quality was like on as 4.37 dvd + - r?
I've seen these movies I've done recently and don't want to spend that extra time watchin' em' again so I thought I'd try for some input. :D

I use
DVD Srink 2.3/3.0
Nero 6

E
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby burninfool on Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:22 pm

It depends on the movie,if it has little action then the compression can go lower and still look good.
You might try "Deep Analysis" with DVDShrink 3.0b5,I've tried both(normal & deep analysis) and didn't notice any differance.
You might head over to www.dvdrhelp.com/tools?section=19#19 and try some other transcoders.
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:50 pm

I tried deep analysis this afternoon and had the same results,no real difference.I might try something like anydvd or recode(nero).I've heard good things in the last couple of days.

E
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby treemana on Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:00 am

I've tried capturing video at different bit rates. When I capture at a rate that can store 2 hrs on a 4.37GB DVD, the results are "Good". I have lowered the rate to where I could capture and store 2.5 hours and the results were still "OK." I haven't gone any lower than that.

Even a three hour video should still look a lot better than a VCD disk. A 4.37GB DVD could hold about 7 hours of VCD video files.

Note: The bit-rate calculator I use shows that when recording at the lowest DVD-compliant bit-rate, a 4.37GB DVD could hold about 3 hrs 40 min of video. (You might be able to lower the audio quality and tweek out a little more though.)
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...
treemana
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:15 pm

Looks like 3 hrs doesn't look too bad.Still way better than VHS.I tried Nero "RECODE" with AnyDVD and DVD Region Free and had mixed results.With AnyDVD,it took 2 hrs to rip.With DVD Region Free,45 minutes.Both looked good but the time it took was the difference.Just did a flick that was 2 hrs & 31 minutes,very good results.Looked 10 times better than VCD.I haven't had a DVD with 3 hrs and 40 minutes yet but it's good to know that I have that option and still keep video quality.

8)

E
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers