Home News Reviews Forums Shop

DVD+-R/RW vs RAM

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

DVD+-R/RW vs RAM

Postby Roberto on Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:44 pm

Hi,
I'm new to DVD burners, but have done a little reading. However, I can't seem to find a good explanation of the Random Access feature of DVD-RAM. Is there any real advantage to DVD-RAM, or is it going the way of the Betamax? I looking at a Plextor 708a for burning CDs, archiving photos, backing up files and burning an occasional movie. The other option is a LG with RAM capability, but it doesn't perform near as well as the Plextor in other areas, especially CD writing. What does RAM offer, other than more rewrites?
Thanks
Roberto
Buffer Underrun

Postby jpuntel on Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:46 am

This is only my opinion based on some facts. DVD-RAM technology is a fledgling of Panasonic and is about 10 years old. Until recently it could only write at 2X and these days 3X. It's age alone steers me away from any intrest in what it may offer. I read somewhere that the -R camp (Panasonic, Toshiba, Samsung) were going to push this format hard in the next year. It could be argued that being a decade old would mean it's well established in the market. I'm also not sure about its write quality. I think the media is pricey as well. Wether or not it's better at re-writes, I don't know. Plextor, Pioneer, NEC, Lite-On,etc. offer the latest ang the greatest, thats where my hard earned dollars are going. Good Luck
jpuntel
CD-RW Thug

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:12 am

DVD-RAM is insane quality since every time you burn, it also double checks the burn quality at the same time. You pay for this feature in speed though :cry:

DVD-RAM is getting faster though, and expects to hit 16x by the end of 2005 accoridng to Maxell, who is working directly with LG and Panasonic in the strengthening of the DVD-RAM market.

DVD-RAM is the most popular format in Japan for home entertainment system recorders, along with DVD-R.

Most DVD-RAM recorders also support DVD-R, and some also support DVD+R.

However, DVD-RAM and DVD-R/DVD+R are completely different formats for completely different purposes. Yuo should use what suits your needs best.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Roberto on Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:19 am

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm still a litttle unclear of what sets RAM apart from the other formats, other than the reliability. Is DVD+R/RW or DVD-R/RW still a good choice for archiving date and digital photos? I'd like to put my photos on a disc and view them easily, but not have to worry about having to reburn them every so often, or is that unrealistic with any format?
Roberto
Buffer Underrun

Postby Telstar on Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:37 am

Roberto wrote:I'm still a litttle unclear of what sets RAM apart from the other formats, other than the reliability. Is DVD+R/RW or DVD-R/RW still a good choice for archiving date and digital photos? I'd like to put my photos on a disc and view them easily, but not have to worry about having to reburn them every so often, or is that unrealistic with any format?

Read the following link for more info on DVD-RAM:

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=205966

For archiving purpose, any high quality DVD-R or +R discs should be more suitable for your need than rewritable discs in terms of reliability. The LG GSA-4040B is just an average dual format DVD burner if you have no need for the DVD-RAM functions, and there are other better and cheaper dual format burners to suit your needs.
Telstar
CD-RW Thug

Postby pranav81 on Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:46 am

More info. about DVD-RAM in short is as follows,

The RAM part of DVD-RAM name stands for Random Access Memory, which means that the drive works in a similar way to a hard drive where content can be placed anywhere on the disc and is indexed. This means that video editors can cut, splice and edit video straight to DVD-RAM without having to worry about where or how the data is being organised. This certainly allows for a more flexible method of working with data when compared to the other formats.

A main advantage of the DVD-RAM format is the high reliability it offers. In simple words, DVD-RAM detects off-tracking caused by defects during the recording phase, and reduces laser power in order to avoid pre-recorded data destruction. Subsequently, data writing is going on after the affected addresses have been read and reallocated.

The defect management feature monitors the zones on the disc while writing and when a defect zone is found, the DVD-RAM automatically replaces the sector and completes writing. In addition, data verification and sector management is carried out during the data writing process.

The land track and wobbled groove track are allocated like a single-spiral track to achieve the seamless recording and playback. A DVD-RAM disc has a Zoned Constant Linear Velocity (ZCLV) format to maintain a higher constant data transfer rate over the whole disc surface by changing its rotation speed, zone by zone. The land and groove track structure enables the use of a stable tracking system, essential for achieving an affordable and highly reliable DVD Video Recorder and DVD-RAM drive.

Data is recorded consecutively on the land and groove tracks by units of 16 physical sectors (32 KB). The error correction code (ECC) system is the same as that of the DVD-ROM format. The data encoded by the ECC system is scrambled and is modulated by the same 8-16 RLL modulation code as in the DVD-ROM case. A channel bit is converted to a multiple-pulse signal.

One of the most interesting features of DVD-RAM is data reliability and security measures such as rewriting without data-loss, high overwriting cycle, built-in defect management, and a secure copy protection scheme. In addition, random accessibility, ending operation free, and 3X-speed recording are also notable. DVD-RAM provides conceivable copy protection features such as Media-type Identification, Content Scrambling System (CSS) Key suppression, Media Unique ID, and Media Key Block (MKB). These features enable to implement a Copy Protection for Recordable Media (CPRM) 5 scheme for the data encryption, which makes DVDRAM disc a secure digital medium.

See ya later,

::Pranav::
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:05 am

In short, DVD-RAM is by far the most advanced media type, and is absolutely awesome in most ways you can think of.... but it's very expensive, and really more specialized for certain applications. I think however, in the future we will see much more of it! :D
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Hmmm...

Postby Roberto on Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:25 am

Thanks guys,
That is exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like RAM is a pretty cool format, too bad it isn't being updated in terms of speed and manutacturer availability as quickly as +-R/RW is.
R
Roberto
Buffer Underrun

Re: Hmmm...

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:38 am

Roberto wrote:Sounds like RAM is a pretty cool format, too bad it isn't being updated in terms of speed and manutacturer availability as quickly as +-R/RW is.

pretty much what i think! :D

i would dearly love an LG GSA-4082 drive.

too bad their Super-Multi drives are only so-so as far as DVD+/-R/W goes (media compatibility, burn quality, firmware updates & the like).
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Re: Hmmm...

Postby Roberto on Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:58 am

dodecahedron wrote:
Roberto wrote:Sounds like RAM is a pretty cool format, too bad it isn't being updated in terms of speed and manutacturer availability as quickly as +-R/RW is.

pretty much what i think! :D

i would dearly love an LG GSA-4082 drive.

too bad their Super-Multi drives are only so-so as far as DVD+/-R/W goes (media compatibility, burn quality, firmware updates & the like).

Dodeca, have you ever tried RAM? Does it truely access files much faster than a DVD+-? Seems like we went through the whole "better format" not getting support and the "inferior" one taking over with the BetaMax, though it does sound like some folks are still working on the hardware. Guess time will tell, but until then, I have to decide on what's currently the best choice, and for pure backups for archiving, +- should suffice. I was hoping to take "My Work Pictures" off my HD to save space, but I rifle through that file enough that the slower access of R/RW would annoy me enough to just leave them put. Aint technology great?
Roberto
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:16 pm

no, never used any sort of recordable DVD. :o
just that -RAM appeals to me.
i honestly don't know how good it really is.

i suppose that for regular "home users" like most of us, DVD+/-R is good enough for backing up data, and we can live without the "prefessional level" (data security etc.) of -RAM.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Return to DVD Writers