Home News Reviews Forums Shop

PLEXTOR SHIPS INDUSTRY'S FIRST 18X DVD±R BURNER

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Postby Ian on Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:55 am

Yep.. the PX-760A is coming to the US and Canada. =D>

Internal Drive Features 10X DVD+R Recording on Double-Layer 8.5 GB Discs

FREMONT, Calif. - February 13, 2006 - Plextor® Corp., a leading developer and manufacturer of high-performance digital media equipment, today announced the PX-760A DVD±R/RW CD-R/RW drive. The multifunction internal drive is aimed at professionals and power PC users who require reliability, lightning-fast performance, and premium recording features.

The PX-760A is a versatile DVD/CD burner that delivers state-of-the-art recording speeds of 18X DVD±R on certified 16X DVD±R media. Users can burn up to four hours of high-quality MPEG-2/DVD video on a single 8.5 GB disc using 10X DVD+R on Double-Layer media and 6X DVD-R on Dual Layer media. The drive also supports 8X DVD+RW and 6X DVD-RW Rewriting; 16X max DVD-Reading; and 48X CD-R Writing, 24X CD-RW Rewriting, and 48X max CD-Reading. DVD±VR is supported for direct disc recording, while DVD+RW background format eliminates the need to manually format a DVD+RW disc.

"Plextor continues to raise the bar with the fastest DVD burner on the market and more product choices than ever before," said Pete Schwartz, vice president of marketing and business development for Plextor. "The new PX-760A drive is the first 18X internal drive specifically designed for business users and consumers who want high-end performance with a rich feature set."

The PX-760A DL DVD±R/RW Drive
The internal PX-760A drive features an E-IDE (ATAPI) interface for easy integration with Microsoft® Windows® 2000/XP-based PCs. A short drive length of 6.69 inches accommodates small form-factor PCs, while a replaceable beige front bezel allows a user to change the appearance of the drive to match a computer. The PX-760A has a 2 MB buffer and features Buffer Underrun Proof Technology to prevent buffer underrun errors and allow multi-tasking.

The PX-760A also features AUTOSTRATEGY, a technology that selects the optimized write strategy for every DVD disc and, if necessary, creates a new write strategy for unknown media. (DVD+/-R). PoweRec adjusts laser power and writing speed to optimum levels for a particular disc

Plextor Software Bundle for Windows
The PX-760A Series drive includes PlexTools® Professional software, a unique combination of user-controllable CD recording and CD/DVD media test features, including PlexEraser, Q-Check, GigaRec, SecureRecording, Silent Mode, and VariRec.

Plextor's bundled software package offers ease-of-use and extensive functionality for Windows platforms. The PX-760A drive ships with the award-winning Roxio® Easy Media Creator 7, Basic DVD Edition software suite for burning video, music, photos, and data to DVD or CD.

Pricing and Availability
The Plextor PX-760A drive will ship to distributors in North and South America in April 2006 with a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $119.00 USD. All retail packages include one-year full warranty and unlimited toll-free technical support.

About Plextor
Plextor Corp. is a leading developer and manufacturer of high-performance digital media equipment for professionals, consumers, and enterprises. Headquartered in Silicon Valley since 1990, Plextor has introduced generations of award-winning products, including digital video converters and CD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD±R/RW optical disk drives, and Network Attached Storage products. Plextor is privately owned by Shinano Kenshi Co., Ltd., a developer and manufacturer of advanced technology hardware and precision electronic equipment headquartered in Japan. Shinano Kenshi is best known for its expertise in manufacturing motors. Contact Plextor at www.plextor.com.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:09 am

this is the drive that's supposed to be a "true Plextor", right ?

i wonder if Alexnoe's utility will work on this one. if so, this would be a strong incentive to buy this drive.

oh well, it will probably be too expensive for me to afford. :(
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Ian on Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:18 am

dodecahedron wrote:i wonder if Alexnoe's utility will work on this one. if so, this would be a strong incentive to buy this drive.

It supposedly uses the same hardware as the 755A so it probably won't work with his utility.

As far as pricing goes, I expected it to be more. With a SRP of $119 its only $10 more than the 740A when it was announced last spring.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby tazdevl on Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:28 am

dodecahedron wrote:this is the drive that's supposed to be a "true Plextor", right ?

What's the scoop on this? Is it their own?

Tell you one thing, after the last few debacles... if I do buy this, I'm waiting for a few firmware revisions to be released first.
RIG:
P4 2.6C, Thermalright SP94/Panaflo 92MM M1A, IC7 Max3, Swifty MCX159, 1GB Geil PC4000 Ultra Plat, Radeon 8500, Audigy 2, 2X WD Raptor RAID 0, WD 250GB SE, Plex 708A, 166SDVD, LianLi PC75, XP Pro.
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:43 am

when i see it in our stores you'll be the first to know

it sure looks like plextor's own drive
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:20 pm

It's Plextor's own... it the drive the PX-755 was SUPPOSED to be, but they couldn't make it work properly for quite some time. 18x DVD recording is NOT simple to make work!
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby alexnoe on Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:21 pm

It supposedly uses the same hardware as the 755A so it probably won't work with his utility.
Plextor has removed the protection against bitsetting commands in firmware 1.02, so this protection of the drive against normal usage seems to be configurable in the firmware
alexnoe
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:23 pm

Hello!

We can start many discussions about the quality, but it´s a more sure thing if we wait for a first preview/review on Cdrlabs. How Ian or Dolph get a drive soon :)
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby Noua on Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:24 pm

"To good to be true... Can't take my eyes of you..." lalalalalalalaaaaaa...
"We don't want to to put mankind on the moon but to bring mankind back to earth..."
Noua
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:36 pm

Scour wrote:Hello!

We can start many discussions about the quality, but it´s a more sure thing if we wait for a first preview/review on Cdrlabs. How Ian or Dolph get a drive soon :)

I'm sure YSS will have the drive in the next few weeks. I'm not expecting to see it until mid-late March. :(
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:07 pm

Ian wrote:
dodecahedron wrote:i wonder if Alexnoe's utility will work on this one. if so, this would be a strong incentive to buy this drive.

sorry, my bad, but i still don't understand.
is the 755A one of the models that is a rebadege of / based on BenQ ? i.e. not a 'true' Plextor ?
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:12 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
Ian wrote:

sorry, my bad, but i still don't understand.
is the 755A one of the models that is a rebadege of / based on BenQ ? i.e. not a 'true' Plextor ?

The PX-755 *IS* a PX-760, and made by Plextor. The difference is that Plextor couldn't get consistant results as easily as they wanted, so they released a crippled model first to buy some time. It looks like they think they got it right finally... but I'll still wait for a couple revisions before I consider jumping in.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:16 pm

thanks dolph, sorry about that. your first reply was enough.
i typed this last post before reading the posts after Hoxlund's.
(screen didn't refresh in a while...)
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby aviationwiz on Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:57 pm

What's the deal with the 2MB buffer though? Sure doesn't seem like typical Plextor. Would the difference just be negligible?
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby Ian on Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:19 pm

When you're writing at 18x or even 16x, a 8MB buffer isn't going to give you much of an advantage over a 2MB buffer. We're talking fractions of a second.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Halc on Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:23 am

Hmphhh... if Plextor refuses to make their commands available to other third party developers, I think I'll pass this and future Plextors.

I've grown too fond of PxScan.

Time to stock up on those 716 models...
Halc
CD-RW Player

Plextor 18X

Postby deinabog on Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:25 pm

I'm gonna pick up two of these for my next PC build.
A man must have a code -Bunk
deinabog
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers