Home News Reviews Forums Shop

interesting TYG02 burn observations

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

interesting TYG02 burn observations

Postby wicked1 on Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:13 pm

I burnt about 20 Fuji branded TYGo2's today half in my liteon 1693S with hacked firmware KC4B and my Benq 1640 with BSRB and my Liteon burnt better than my BenQ on all of the discs! This has never happened before. Not much better but still. Then I pulled out a TYg02 value pack I got a while back and not a one of them would burn. They have been sitting sealed on the spindle for about 2 years. Poor bonding I guess is the cause. They all pop apart real easy.They burnt but wouldnt verify I gues I shouild say. I tried them in all of my burners. No go on the NEC or Pioneers either. I have about 200 of these discs too. That sucks. Anyway end of todays burning observations.
Pioneer dvr-108,NEC 3540,BenQ 1640,LiteOn 1693S
Intel pentium D 930 oc to 4.2 ghz
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum
hardware mpeg2 encoder card

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good
wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:40 pm

How are you testing the media to see that the LiteON burns them better then the BenQ?

As for the TY Value line... it does suck a lot of the time. The biggest problem in my opinion is the fact that it's mostly made up of 16x media, and TY's 16x media is utter crap.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby wicked1 on Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:48 pm

I scanned 4 discs from each drive in each other and themselves.I could scan with my NEC but I like the Liteon and BenQ scans better. They are more consitent. The NEC scans the disc and says awesome then repeat the test with the same disc and its horrible so I have been sticking to those two for scanning.Yeah when those discs were new they burnt great. Now that they are getting older they are literally falling apart. Bend it a little and it will pop into 2 pieces. Or Grab the edge and stick your thumbnail in and pop it apart. The Fuji branded TYG02's are about the same age. At least I bought them the same time. I bought over 1000 TY G02's and 200 TY G03's all at once when I had some spare cash hoping to avoid problems like this in the future since the other choices at the time were pretty horid.(Ritek,CMC,Optodisc etc)

edited to add: Yeah those TYG03's have always sucked bad. I paid a premium for them when they came out hoping to see some spectacular 16X burns. Never happened even after all the firmware updates and new drives later. They are all still here in the box with the other various crap discs that I give to people for free.
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum

wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby [buck] on Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:07 am

wicked1 wrote:...Bend it a little and it will pop into 2 pieces. Or Grab the edge and stick your thumbnail in and pop it apart.

Damn... that sounds REALLY bad... worse than I've ever seen or heard of. And you say they weren't always like this? Interesting. Also what part of the disc isn't verifying? Is it the the beginning or end?
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Postby wicked1 on Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:41 am

middle to the end gives errors non stop on the verifying. No they were alright when I bought them. I guess it just goes to the argument no one brand is best for longetivity yet. TY's are all I buy normally. Now I am thinking otherwise.
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum

wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:24 am

[buck] wrote:
wicked1 wrote:...Bend it a little and it will pop into 2 pieces. Or Grab the edge and stick your thumbnail in and pop it apart.

Damn... that sounds REALLY bad... worse than I've ever seen or heard of. And you say they weren't always like this? Interesting. Also what part of the disc isn't verifying? Is it the the beginning or end?

Well I had a FUJI TYG01 snapping it a part when I took it out of the case. And I mentioned it here and on cdfreaks quite some times. This sounds like the same behaviour.
Trying to make something "foolproof" only forces nature to make a better fool.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:57 am

Try to find yourself some Verbatim media made by CMC (avoid the Prodisc stuff if possible). If you don't mind spending extra money, I would even go so far as to suggest Maxell's Plus Series line, which has proven to be extremely stable and good for lonegevity (but pretty expensive). Maxell's Plus Series is all made in Japan by Maxell themselves.

Really, Taiyo Yuden is great for compatability, but more and more it's seeming that it's horrible when it comes to lifespan. Normally I'd say it's good for 2-5 years... but it seems your experience is much worse then this! :o
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:50 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Try to find yourself some Verbatim media made by CMC (avoid the Prodisc stuff if possible).

can you give a quick reminder on how to differentiate between Prodisc and CMC made Verbatim media ?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby [buck] on Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:00 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:Try to find yourself some Verbatim media made by CMC (avoid the Prodisc stuff if possible).

can you give a quick reminder on how to differentiate between Prodisc and CMC made Verbatim media ?

Note the different used for OPEN/LOCK :wink:

and sorry for the crappy pics
Attachments
cmc.JPG
CMC cakebox
cmc.JPG (29.25 KiB) Viewed 2606 times
prodisc.JPG
Prodisc cakebox
prodisc.JPG (27.43 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:44 pm

found this topic that helps distinguish between CMC-made and Prodisc-made Verbatims.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=128909

according to the above topic Prodisc-made MCC is better than CMC-made.
you feel otherwise, i gather ?
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:03 pm

Well, if you have a BenQ drive, then the CMC's are better for sure :wink:

Prodisc made Verbatim media seems to degrade a lot faster, and have a lot more variability then the CMC's I've seen. However, I've also seen bad batches from CMC, so the CMC stuff isn't perfect either. The Prodisc DVD+R Verbatim's might be ok though.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby [buck] on Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:24 pm

dodecahedron wrote:found this topic that helps distinguish between CMC-made and Prodisc-made Verbatims.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=128909

according to the above topic Prodisc-made MCC is better than CMC-made.
you feel otherwise, i gather ?

Yeah, when 8X Verbs were common general concensus at CD Freaks was that Prodisc was better. Knowing what I know now, I don't think I would have agreed with it. For 16 though, CMC Verbs are considered better than Prodisc Verbs almost unanimously :D
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:19 am

thanks.
just bought some 16x DVD+R Verbatims, MIT, wanted a change from MI India.
they seem to be CMC.
we'll see how they do on my LG GSA-H10L.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Return to DVD Writers