Home News Reviews Forums Shop

YAMAHA DISCONTINUES CD-RW RECORDER PRODUCT LINE

Burn baby burn!

Postby Ian on Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:43 pm

BUENA PARK, CA— Citing uncharacteristically rapid price erosions, continuing market difficulties, and the highly volatile competitive environment, Yamaha Electronics Corporation stated today that the company is discontinuing its sales and marketing of computer-based CD-RW Recorders.

Yamaha will continue to market its other Multimedia offerings, including computer speakers, computer receivers, headphones, and CD-R/RW media, and provide CD-RW drives for music and audio applications.

Technical support and warranty service for all Yamaha CD Recorders will continue uninterrupted for the full warranty period.

For product and sales information, contact Yamaha Electronics Corporation, Multimedia Products Division, 6660 Orangethorpe Avenue, Buena Park, CA 90620; www.yamahamultimedia.com; telephone (714) 522-9011.

-END-

Yamaha Electronics Corporation (YEC), USA, based in Buena Park, California, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Yamaha. YEC offers Home Theater components and systems, featuring A/V Receivers, Amplifiers, DVD/CD, Speakers, Mini-Systems, Video Projection, as well as A/V & IT Convergence Products including CD-R/W Media, Computer Receivers, Computer Speakers and Headphones.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Yamaha on Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:22 pm

To all my friends at CDRLabs,

I would like to take this time to recognize the efforts that you have put forth in creating CDRLabs. The time and dedication you put into your website is truly amazing, and Yamaha Electronics extends its thanks for all of your support over the years. Your honest and objective style is truly a credit to your publication.

As you are well aware, Yamaha Electronics was the first manufacturer to launch a 1X CD Recorder. Since that time, we have continued our dedication to the CD-R/RW market. Yamaha was the first to reach many important milestones, including 2X, 4X, and 16X Recording as well as 8X and 24X ReWrite. Yamaha CD Recorders were also the first to introduce technologies such as Mt. Rainier, Audio Master, and the widely acclaimed DiscT@2.

Following on the success of our latest CD Recorder, the CRW-F1 with its exclusive DiscT@2 features, Yamaha will be exiting the Optical Storage market. Yamaha will continue to market it’s other Multimedia offerings, including speakers, headphones, and CD-R/RW media. We will also continue to provide technical support and warranty service for CD Recorders for the full warranty period.

Finally, let me thank you the support you and your readers have given us over the years. Without all of you, our products could not have been as wildly successful as they are.

Sincerely,
Mark Becknauld
Product Manager
Multimedia Products Division
Yamaha Electronics Corp.
Yamaha
Buffer Underrun

Postby Dan on Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:40 pm

I still can't believe that Yamaha is out of the CD-RW business.

While Yamaha wasn't my first burner, it was my first reliable burner.
I still have it to this day, although with the increased speeds it doesn't get much use anymore.

This is truly a sad day.
Dan
CD-RW Thug

Sorry to see Yamaha quit

Postby UALOneKPlus on Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:32 pm

Wow, how sad!!!

I hope Yamaha's decision will be rescinded in the near future. Yamaha does make great products and we consumers appreciate all the technology advances.

Come back soon!!!! :D
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby Action Jackson on Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:13 pm

Even though I've never owned a Yamaha burner, I've heard good and read good things about them. It's a shame.
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby vinnie97 on Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:20 pm

My first burner was a Yamaha 4x4x16. I had nothing but problems with it from the beginning BUT it turns out the unit was defective; damaged, perhaps, when shipped. I sent it back to Yamaha just before warranty coverage phased out. What I got back was a burner that worked pretty much flawlessy from that day forward. I still have it to this day (only just replaced last summer) but it was definitely a solid performer. I'm sure Yamaha's build quality and dedication to customer service will be missed by many.
Last edited by vinnie97 on Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby Wayne on Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:25 pm

We're very sorry to see you go Yamaha. I loved my Yamaha SCSI 24X and it will be around a long time in it's new home.
Wayne
CD-RW Thug

Postby Boone on Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:41 pm

The Yamaha 4/4/16 was a freakin' tank. For a long while anytime someone mentioned that they owned a "yammie" it meant the 4416. Truly legendary when compared to some of today's drives that are practically disposable after a year.

Too bad today's market is full of cheap, disposable burners with no write quality or character.
Boone
CD-RW Player

Postby Wayne on Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:48 pm

Well said.
Wayne
CD-RW Thug

Postby jase on Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:00 pm

It is a pity that TEAC and now Yamaha have pulled out of the market. Two companies that did so much to perfect the technology (although all Yamaha drives were damn picky things, you could always tell a Yammy disciple by the swear words coming from his mouth when cheap media was mentioned!!!), forced out by cheaper competition. That's capitalism for you, it's sad but we must move on, still a shame though.

I didn't realise Yamaha brought the first CD recorder to market, I had assumed that was Philips, now I know better.
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby socheat on Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:55 pm

My first burner was also the 4416. It worked perfectly for about 2 years. When it failed, Yamaha took care of me and sent me an airbill to cover shipping along with a replacement drive. Their commitment to quality customer service was what kept me buying and recommending their drives. I hope someday the market will turn and Yamaha will come back on to the optical storage scene.
socheat
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:13 pm

I really can't put my thoughts into words so I'll make this short. I just want to say thank you to Yamaha. I especially want to thank Mark Becknauld, Shin Nishizawa and Hiroshi Kondo. You guys have not only helped to put out some of the best drives, you've been there for CDRLabs since day one. Hopefully we'll see Yamaha back in the optical storage biz some time in the future.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Dartman on Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:02 am

Mine was a 4260. It would get hot only if you ran it open case, if you closed it up so the air would pull through it like it was designed to it ran room temp. I had to send it back in once and it turned out I had a driver conflict cuasing the problem. Quite a few people had problem with it but mine was OK and they got better as they learned more.
Boy things have changed since then. I don't miss paying 450 to 500 for a burner and cheap media is nice :)
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby 50 cents on Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:15 am

what about my plexcombo?? i need one
We ridin around with guns the size of Little Bow Wow What you know about a.k's and a.r 15's
Equipped, with night vision, shell catchers and dem things
50 cents
Buffer Underrun

Postby hoxlund on Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:29 am

ahhhh, screw yamaha, just less competition for lite-on :lol:

they probably got out of cd-rw business cause the cd format is going nowhere, you can't do anything else with cd burners, and yamaha probably just felt that they didn't want to start in DVD burning

also you guys have to remember, yamaha does so much more than cd-rw drives, i don't feel the most bit sad for yamaha

i too own a yamaha 20x10x40x and i can say that it really doesn't impress me a whole lot, the Lite-On brand can do just tons of stuff, EFM encoding is a biggy
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:36 am

Well, I am sorry to see Yamaha exit the business. And I am more sorry for the workers at Yamaha who may be displaced by this turn of events. I hope everything works out well for them.

Hoxlund and 50 cents, show some respect and maturity please. Those posts are in really bad taste.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby hoxlund on Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:40 am

last time i checked i lived in Colorado
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:05 am

jase wrote:It is a pity that TEAC and now Yamaha have pulled out of the market. Two companies that did so much to perfect the technology ... forced out by cheaper competition. That's capitalism for you, it's sad but we must move on, still a shame though.

ditto, my sentiments exactly!

and that's the sad flipside to being able to buy cheap drives at $20 etc...<rant>
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Farewell Yamaha

Postby NeilPeart on Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:15 am

Yamaha was one of the elite drive manufacturers who consistently produced great optical drives. It will be fondly remembered amongst the likes of Plextor (8/20, 12/10/32), Teac (16/10/40, 40/12/48) and other legendary drives. It is sad to see the 3 top dogs leaving the CDRW scene, as they were the pioneers; only the imitators remain now. The time of the CDs is over - it is now the age of DVDs. Goodbye, Yamaha and thank you. :cry:
Drives I Own:

Asus S520/A, Plextor UltraPlex 40TSi, Lite-on XJ-HD166S, Pioneer DVD-106S, Toshiba SD-M1712, Plextor PX-R820Ti, Plextor PX-W1210TS, Plextor Premium, Samsung SM-352B, Teac CD-W540E, Yamaha CRW-F1, Plextor PX-708A, Sony DRU-510A
NeilPeart
Buffer Underrun

Postby Halc on Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:29 am

I think Yamaha's decision was probably very wise in terms of business logic, but it shows the single minded stupidity of the markets.

Just because we have cheaper recorders, it doesn't mean that they are as good as the more expensive ones.

The CDR-Info Writing Quality article has shown that Yamaha make the best writers in the business (in terms of writing quality of the discs).

It's a shame I will have to resort to LiteOn and even cheaper brands in the future to archive my important media, just because everybody wants to buy the cheapest thing possible :(

We should understand the logic of engineering:

- cheap
- fast
- good quality

Pick any two out of three.

Yamaha made fast and good quality drives, but perhaps not the cheapest.

Others excel at being cheap, but not always being the best quality.

I hope Plextor will not withdraw from the CDR/DVDR market soon as well...

regards,
Halcyon
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby maxrulez on Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:34 am

I have liked and Used Yamaha since my 2x burner. Yamaha made one of the only drives I ever kepet for over a year without fail. I was hoping for the same with my F1. I will now pawn it off as quick as I can. Its sad to see a reliable technically advanced company pull from the market becuase of (as they claim) hard to compete with the cheaper faster drives. I truley have a sore spot for Yamaha now and sold all my Yamaha surround sound system in my living room. Once a company pulls crap like this I will no longer support ANY of their products. Guess its back to plextor for me. I have a Plextor 4x scsi drive I'll just use it till it dies if it ever does.
maxrulez
Buffer Underrun

Postby hoxlund on Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:03 pm

who says Lite-On's aren't fast and good quality? if they weren't then how come like almost 10 other companies trust them to rebadge them for their drives?

Lite-On's beat out yamaha, plextor any day
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby tuan209 on Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:46 pm

Darn! i was waiting for a yamaha dvd burner! im going to miss the cool blue LEDs too. =(
tuan209
Buffer Underrun

Postby Yamaha on Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:18 pm

[quote="maxrulez"]I have liked and Used Yamaha since my 2x burner. Yamaha made one of the only drives I ever kepet for over a year without fail. I was hoping for the same with my F1. I will now pawn it off as quick as I can. Its sad to see a reliable technically advanced company pull from the market becuase of (as they claim) hard to compete with the cheaper faster drives. I truley have a sore spot for Yamaha now and sold all my Yamaha surround sound system in my living room. Once a company pulls crap like this I will no longer support ANY of their products. Guess its back to plextor for me. I have a Plextor 4x scsi drive I'll just use it till it dies if it ever does.[/quote]

Hi Max,

I just wanted to say that Yamaha will continue to provide support and firmware upgrades for the CRW-F1. We are certainly not interested in abandoning our existing customers. Yamaha will honor the full warranty period of your product, and will offer technical support for that period as well. Remember, optical storage is only one facet of Yamaha's business, and we certainly want to keep our customers satisfied.

Best regards,
Mark Becknauld
Product Manager
Multimedia Products Division
Yamaha Electronics Corp.
Yamaha
Buffer Underrun

Postby hoxlund on Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:36 pm

at least yamaha is here to put information in, i admire that

yamaha you do make other great products, just not burners, IN MY OPINION