Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Advice on Blu Ray Media?

General discussion about recordable CD, DVD and BD media and write quality testing.

Advice on Blu Ray Media?

Postby stix on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:16 pm

I saw the LG WH14NS40 on sale at Microcenter last week for $55, so I went back yesterday and got one. My first Blu-ray writer. Finally an almost affordable price.

Need some advice on good media. Just the single layer stuff. Looks like Verbatim gets good consumer ratings. What about JVC/Taiyo Yuden? And what is the significance of "LTH" ?
stix
stix
CD-RW Player

Re: Advice on Blu Ray Media?

Postby Ian on Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:46 pm

The LTH media uses an organic dye recording layer similar to that of a CD-R or DVD-R/+R. These are fine if you really don't care about longevity, but for archiving, normal BD media is better.

JVC/TY is the only BD media I haven't tried at this point. As long as you still to a name brand, you're good. I've had good results with Sony, TDK and Verbatim. Keep in mind though, if you want to write at 14x with that drive, you will need Sony or Panasonic discs.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby stix on Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:33 am

Thanks for your help, Ian.

More interested in the archiving, so I'll stay away from the LTH for now.

I'm not in any big hurry to write at 14x, and I suppose the 14x media is more expensive.

One more question:
do you thinks it's safe to have some media shipped, given the time of year and the fact that the media may experience temperature extremes in shipment, or is it better to just buy locally at a store?
stix
stix
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:50 pm

I think it will be fine either way. That media has to get to the stores somehow and you're gonna run the risk of it too being exposed to cold weather.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby stix on Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:25 pm

What is known about the longevity of data storage on blu-ray disks at this point? has anyone done a good study or tests yet? And I'm talking about with good media, not the cheap stuff or the LTH stuff. Can it be expected to be comparable to data storage on good DVD or CD media?
stix
stix
CD-RW Player

Return to Recordable Media Discussion