Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Avast "Unable To Scan" Question

Anything else

Avast "Unable To Scan" Question

Postby audiodrome on Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:36 am

I ran my Avast Antivirus last night and in the "log" there were about 1000 entries with the following:

C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\clnsweep.cfg=>AD_NET.EXE: password protected
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\clnsweep.cfg=>ADAPTER.EXE: password protected
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\clnsweep.cfg=>ADDDEPTH.EXE: password protected

etc. etc.

When I go to the Norton folder, I find that clnsweep.cfg is a file, not a folder. What are all of these applications and how do I get rid of them, or is this just a "log" of previously deleted temp files?

Thanks
Paul
audiodrome
CD-RW Thug

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:21 pm

i don't know what a .cfg file is, but apparently this "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\clnsweep.cfg" file is a container of some sort (think: like a zip file). so you see a file, but Avast scans the files "inside" it.
these files are possibly compressed files within that .cfg file and they are password protected, so avast can't decompress them and scan them.

i see the same kind of notice with other files on my system (password protected zip files).
in my case i know what those files are and am not concered.
in your case, personally i would get rid of the Norton Cleansweep.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Return to General Software Questions