Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Graphing Calculator

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Graphing Calculator

Postby BuddhaTB on Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:50 pm

Right now I have a Ti-86 and want to upgrade to a graphing calculator that has more functions and also more powerful. I'm split between the Ti-89 and the HP 48GX. I'm currently studying civil engineering in college, so which ever one is better suited for the engineering field and college mathematics is the way to go. That's where I need your guys' help. If anyone has had any experience using either the Ti-89 or HP4 8GX, I would really appreciate your input as to how well the calculator performs, ease of operations, and your opinions about it. Feel free to post any comments about the subject matter.

Ti-89
http://education.ti.com/us/student/prod ... /ti89.html

HP 48GX
http://hpshopping.speedera.net/www.shop ... /48gx.html
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Re: Graphing Calculator

Postby weaponmaster on Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:52 pm

HP48G or GX is the ONLY calculator required in my engineering school since calculus I. HP has civi engineering add on software package, that you can insert in the back of the calculator, just like a gameboy. All my engineering friends including EE, CE, CivilE, ME, AeroE, needs to do advance math for their upper level classes.
weaponmaster
Buffer Underrun

Postby dhc014 on Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:05 pm

Well, I have a ti-86 and a ti-89 which I had to get for my calculus class. I think that the HP has a few nice features, but TI has pretty much of a monopoly at our school. A friend of mine has a HP 48G and he really never learned how to use it because everyone else was using a ti-89... I like ti...
dhc014
CD-RW Player

DONT GET THE HP

Postby lizardmanspike on Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:32 am

Go for easy to use and easy to get anywhere. I have had my TI-89 for 5 years and really love it. I would never get an HP because I used one for a math class once and the thing was pure crap. Just not user friendly.
lizardmanspike
Buffer Underrun

Return to General Hardware Discussion