Home News Reviews Forums Shop

JLMS XJ-HD166S/165H retail Black on sale at Walmart

How fast is too fast?

JLMS XJ-HD166S/165H retail Black on sale at Walmart

Postby tlotz on Wed May 21, 2003 12:46 am

I was in a local Walmart retail store (in the U.S.) tonight, and accidentally came across the retail Liteon 16X DVD-ROM drive JLMS XJ-HD166S (or 165H)! This was the Black bezel version. I would not consider this a hot deal, because Walmart was selling it for $48 + tax. The beige bezel retail version of the same drive can be bought at Newegg.com for $33 + $6 shipping = $39. Since some people (like myself) prefer to buy products in retail stores, the Walmart deal might be quite appealing. I already bought my JLMS XJ-HD166S beige OEM drive from Newegg.com, so I am not interested in buying it from Walmart. If Walmart carried the beige version, it would be quite tempting to me! By the way, these Liteon retail DVD-ROM drives had the May 2003 manufacturing sticker on their boxes, so they were made this month. I was amazed to see drives made this month on a store shelve already. It appeared that Walmart just put the Liteon DVD-ROM drive there today, because the price label on the shelf had today's date on it. I cannot guarantee that all Walmart stores will carry this Liteon DVD-ROM drive--it is not listed on Walmart's website. One last thing: Walmart also carries the retail Liteon 40/24/40 external portable CD-RW drive.
Last edited by tlotz on Wed May 21, 2003 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
tlotz
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Wed May 21, 2003 2:17 am

Nice deal! BTW, where is the Wal-Mart you mentioned? I'll have to check mine, as I haven't been there in a really long time.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby tlotz on Wed May 21, 2003 11:40 pm

LiteOnGuy wrote:Nice deal! BTW, where is the Wal-Mart you mentioned? I'll have to check mine, as I haven't been there in a really long time.

The Walmart store where I saw the black Liteon 16X DVD-ROM drives is located in Glen Burnie, MD, USA on Ordinance Road. Other Walmart stores who don't have the drive yet may get it in or may not, I don't know. Also, the drive's retail box does not say if it is a 166S or 165H (it must be one or the other because of the DVD-RAM read support listed on the box). I presume that because the stock I saw was made this month (May 2003), that these drives were the 166S model, since I doubt (but don't know for sure) that Liteon still makes the 165H model.
tlotz
CD-RW Player

Postby dhc014 on Sun May 25, 2003 4:04 pm

Unfortunately, my local Wal-Mart didn't have any Optical Drives at all...
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Sun May 25, 2003 6:11 pm

Mine had the external 40x24x40 CD-RW, but not the DVD-ROM.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby David on Wed May 28, 2003 9:56 pm

My local WalMart has the drive just no price on it along with several other optical drives.
David
CD-RW Player

Postby tlotz on Thu May 29, 2003 1:24 am

I have found that the bigger Walmarts carry some computer hardware (i.e. optical drives, modems, sound cards, video cards, etc) and some of the smaller Walmarts do not. I am guessing that many of the larger Walmarts will carry the Liteon 166S/165H DVD-ROM drive. With a May 2003 manufacture date, the stock I saw was probably 166S, but I don't know for sure because the box does not state which model is packaged inside. Last weekend, I visited a smaller Walmart and it had no optical drives at all--so it is best to look in the larger Walmarts. These "larger Walmarts" don't have to be Walmart supercenters. We don't have supercenters here where I live--the store I saw the Liteon DVD-ROM drive was not a supercenter. But Walmart supercenters are big and should certainly carry computer hardware--so if you have a Walmart supercenter and want this Liteon DVD-ROM drive, look there. A great place to look (if you don't have a Walmart supercenter) is at newer style regular Walmarts (I'm not referring to a supercenter)--since they seem to make the newer Walmarts bigger and better than the older ones. You can look in the smaller Walmart stores for the Liteon DVD-ROM drive, but I think you'll have better luck looking in a larger Walmart store. The store I saw the Liteon DVD-ROM had the large part of an entire aisle dedicated to computer hardware.
tlotz
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu May 29, 2003 9:40 am

My Walmart had a few of these on the shelf this morning. Since they were manufactured in May 2003, I'm guessing they are 166's.

Hopefully Walmart will start to carry more Lite-On products. I'm sure a lot of people would prefer to buy their Lite-On drives locally instead of over the internet.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby CDRecorder on Thu May 29, 2003 11:59 am

Ian wrote:Hopefully Walmart will start to carry more Lite-On products. I'm sure a lot of people would prefer to buy their Lite-On drives locally instead of over the internet.

I hope so to! I would prefer to buy them at Walmart than buy them online (assuming similar prices). :D
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Return to CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Drives