Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Firmware Updates LiteON vs. Plextor

Burn baby burn!

Firmware Updates LiteON vs. Plextor

Postby SPaulovic on Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:31 pm

In this forum I can read many comparisons referring to new LiteON (52327S for example) firmwares.

Now I'm wondering if Plextor Premium users also "speculate" which firmware is the best, concerning C1 and C2 errors.

I haven't seen many comparisons or even complaints on Plextor firmwares.

Q: Do you (Plextor users) have to choose between bad and good firmware concerning the writing quality?

If this is not the case, then I'm thinking about replacing my defective LTR-52327S drive by a Plextor Premium, because it is annoying to look for the best firmware.

I don't think that regular PC users, who do not even know about C1 and C2 errors, do choose firmwares like some "CDR-Freaks".
I would be very glad if you told me your experiences about this topic because I can't decide which drive I shall buy.
SPaulovic
Buffer Underrun

Postby aviationwiz on Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:45 pm

All firmware has worked like a charm for me on the Premium, I am using the latest, 1.05, and, no, we don't have to pick and find the best firmware. Plextor does it for us :)

The PX-708A had a few firmwares (1.01, 1.02) where 1.0 was better, but no problem there. Long story, and off topic...
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:24 pm

aviationwiz wrote:All firmware has worked like a charm for me on the Premium, I am using the latest, 1.05, and, no, we don't have to pick and find the best firmware. Plextor does it for us :)

The PX-708A had a few firmwares (1.01, 1.02) where 1.0 was better, but no problem there. Long story, and off topic...

I gotta agree, the only problems with the Plextor Premium's firmware have been there from the beginning, and new firmwares have only really fixed problems.

I'm not saying that there are a lot of issues with the Plex Premium either... but there *are* issues -just like any other drive. (except no other drive costs as much as a DVD burner :roll: )
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby SPaulovic on Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:08 am

Great, if that's the case, then I rather will pay some extra money for the
Plextor Premium drive to have a better overall quality.

I work a lot with Word documents and if there are too many C2 errors
the documents are messed up.
SPaulovic
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:34 am

SPaulovic wrote:Great, if that's the case, then I rather will pay some extra money for the
Plextor Premium drive to have a better overall quality.

I work a lot with Word documents and if there are too many C2 errors
the documents are messed up.

Why don't you take a look at some of my media reviews on my webpage, and compare it to what media you will be using. That way you can see if paying 3x the price for the drive is really worth it.

Generally speaking, I would not personally call the Plextor Premium a higher quality drive. It has some extra features... all of which are more or less useless except in very rare occasions, and that (along with the Plextor name) is why you py so much for it.

I've had a few pieces of media that would burn fine on everything BUT the Plextor Premium!
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby slimeballzz on Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:14 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:
I've had a few pieces of media that would burn fine on everything BUT the Plextor Premium!

Just curious, what pieces of media did you have that would not burn fine on the Plextor Premium?
slimeballzz
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:36 am

Well, for starters:

Ricoh 40x CD-Rs
http://www.thedolphinreview.com/Ricoh40xCD-R/Page3.html

I've come across others, but I don't keep very good records :o most of my testing *is* on my webpage, so check it out. I'll have more info eventually since it will be completely reworked when my webpage is re-released in a couple of months :D

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives